WC: May 4 GDT - Sweden vs. Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPARTAKUS*

wassup77 said:
Hehe, I think Kronwall and Lundqvist will be the next big stars from Sweden in NHL. Maybe the biggest ever on the defence since Börje Salming!!

There are two forwards in Sweden who is specialized in PK. Thats why it is so good :yo:
I think Lundqvist will be the next Pelle Lindberg. He's that good.

And you're right Kronwall will be as good as Lidstrom. He's got

everything you would want a #1 defenseman.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
OTTSENS said:
And you're right Kronwall will be as good as Lidstrom. He's got

everything you would want a #1 defenseman.

Except impressive size. However, that never stopped players like Coffey, Housley or Rafalski from having an impact as a top defender. Size can be compensated, especially if you're a good skater, which Kronwall is.

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Riddarn said:
Except impressive size. However, that never stopped players like Coffey, Housley or Rafalski from having an impact as a top defender. Size can be compensated, especially if you're a good skater, which Kronwall is.
The best example I can give in situations like these is Vladimir Konstantinov. The man was a beast and only 5'11 180lbs. Kronwall is bigger than that.

Kocur has hinted that Nik has a bit of Vlady in him. Kronwall loves to hit you if he gets a chance.

Streaker-man

Oct 7, 2004
Finland
Gotta give props for Krönwall. I was really surprised to see how well he played. Swedes really dominated the Finns yesterday.

Time for Westerlund to mix up the lines. Our 3rd line is completely useless. I wanna see Hagman as O. Jokinen´s winger and J. Jokinen seeing more icetime. Rita is useless (at least in that line).

Our 2nd line (Hentunen-Kapanen-Pärssinen) is untouchable.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I really hope Erkka isn't our head coach after this tournament...

He'd be a very fine assistant, but is not much of head coach material...

He chooses a pretty good team, but doesn't know how to play them.

Shack

Aug 25, 2004
Lappeenranta
mattihp said:
He chooses a pretty good team, but doesn't know how to play them.

I disagree with this one. I can't understand why Rita, Hahl and Eloranta were chosen to our team... Maybe it's just that we don't have better players :)

And I agree with playing stuff. Hopefully Erkka will wake up and J. Jokinen will start at next game. And J. Jokinen must be at 1st or 2nd line or else his talent will be wasted.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Shack said:
I disagree with this one. I can't understand why Rita, Hahl and Eloranta were chosen to our team... Maybe it's just that we don't have better players :)

And I agree with playing stuff. Hopefully Erkka will wake up and J. Jokinen will start at next game. And J. Jokinen must be at 1st or 2nd line or else his talent will be wasted.
I think Ville Peltonen and Tomi Kallio are bound to start scoring soon... So I want to see Jussi as a first line centre and Olli as a third line winger instead of Rita ^^

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Shack said:
Isn't he 188cm and something like 86-88kg? Some more weight and he has an impressive size.

Hah, he must have had a very late growth spurt in that case. He was 182 cm tall when he left Sweden for the AHL, at age 22. I don't think he has grown that much since.. Kronwall is barely 6 feet.

If you find different numbers somewhere, then they are wrong.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Riddarn said:
Hah, he must have had a very late growth spurt in that case. He was 182 cm tall when he left Sweden for the AHL, at age 22. I don't think he has grown that much since.. Kronwall is barely 6 feet.

If you find different numbers somewhere, then they are wrong.
I've seen them list 188cm in pretty much every game... But then again I've also seen them list Saku Koivu at the same height :biglaugh:

IIHF lists Kronwall as 6-2/188 cm...

Griffinshockey.com lists him as 6-0.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
mattihp said:
Griffinshockey.com lists him as 6-0.

Right, so does most other sites. But he has been listed as 5'11 before, and smaller players tend to "grow" an inch when they start playing in the NHL/AHL..

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Riddarn said:
Right, so does most other sites. But he has been listed as 5'11 before, and smaller players tend to "grow" an inch when they start playing in the NHL/AHL..
Indeed ^^ I've seen Miettinen listed at 6'0½ before ^^

Dominus

Nov 5, 2004
Ruutu vs. Hedström in Expressen

Ruutu says Hedström is afraid to fight, calls him a ***** and threatens to beat him up. "We live in the same hotel. Room D208. The door is open."

Hedström's answer: "Ruutu thinks he's a tough guy, but he's a clown. He can't skate, so he has to talk instead."

:biglaugh:

How unnecessary, but how entertaining! I hope these two hotheads meet again in this tournament. :handclap:

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Ipa said:
How unnecessary, but how entertaining! I hope these two hotheads meet again in this tournament. :handclap:

:joker:

I'm wondering, will the teams that loose have to vote one off? Seems like hockey is going that way too.. ;)

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
Ipa said:
Ruutu vs. Hedström in Expressen

Ruutu says Hedström is afraid to fight, calls him a ***** and threatens to beat him up. "We live in the same hotel. Room D208. The door is open."

Hedström's answer: "Ruutu thinks he's a tough guy, but he's a clown. He can't skate, so he has to talk instead."

:biglaugh:

Yeah, that's Jarkko Ruutu for ya. The thing is, he can deliver too when he wants to. Hedström... Well, to me he is the same kind of player than Ruutu. So what he just told to the press. I think he needs to look in the mirror.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Padawan said:
Hedström... Well, to me he is the same kind of player than Ruutu.

only thing is that Hedström is among the top 3-4 skaters on the team, has one hell of a shot and is a productive player. Much more than an agitator if you ask me.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Predatore said:
only thing is that Hedström is among the top 3-4 skaters on the team, has one hell of a shot and is a productive player. Much more than an agitator if you ask me.
Jarkko Ruutu has good puck handling skills, and is one of the best puck protectors you'll see... A hard slapshot and good movement that gave him a little PP with Vancouver.

Jonathan Hedström isn't quite an NHL-calibre agitator, but has better hockey sense than Ruutu.

Doesn't do the agitating nearly as good as Ruutu.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
mattihp said:
Jarkko Ruutu has good puck handling skills

To be frank, yesterday's game was kind of the proof of the exact opposite. I think Ruutu had a good game (well, better than most finns), but each time he had the puck under control it just took a second before he lost it with below average stickhandling. I do believe the commentators mentioned Ruutu's poor puck control as well.

With that being said, I'd love to have a player like him on Team Sweden.. since he probably is one of the top agitators in the world.. which is why he plays in the NHL.

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
Predatore said:
To be frank, yesterday's game was kind of the proof of the exact opposite. I think Ruutu had a good game (well, better than most finns), but each time he had the puck under control it just took a second before he lost it with below average stickhandling. I do believe the commentators mentioned Ruutu's poor puck control as well.
J.Ruutu can use his stick to put the puck moving with dekes, good passes, etc. on a good day. On a bad day he just loses the puck often. Yesterday was a bad game for Ruutu and rest of the Team Finland.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Predatore said:
I do believe the commentators mentioned Ruutu's poor puck control as well.
Not to be mean but swedish commentators seem to have the worst insight on foreign players ever... They also tend to call Niko Kapanen a speed bullet... Kimmo Timonen a weak physical player... Sami Kapanen one-dimensional... Yashin a good penalty-killer... Filip Kuba a bad teamplayer who doesn't put in an effort... Having seen hockey on swedish tv all too long has forced me to use the mute button and just watch...

Art Vandelay

Jan 14, 2004
Stockholm
www.eliteprospects.com
mattihp said:
Not to be mean but swedish commentators seem to have the worst insight on foreign players ever... They also tend to call Niko Kapanen a speed bullet... Kimmo Timonen a weak physical player... Sami Kapanen one-dimensional... Yashin a good penalty-killer... Filip Kuba a bad teamplayer who doesn't put in an effort... Having seen hockey on swedish tv all too long has forced me to use the mute button and just watch...
I actually think Wikegård is doing a good job for TV3 right now..

Dominus

Nov 5, 2004
mattihp said:
Kimmo Timonen a weak physical player...

Yesterday he was very weak in every aspect of the game. Propably one of the worst games of his career. It was totally absurd how he was out of position and kept losing his stick all the time. And he should be our number one d-man, for crying out loud! In the third period I wasn't even pissed off anymore, I was just laughing. Maybe the real games are bit too tough for him after a season in Mestis.

Well, there's only one way to go after this fiasco...

mikkoz

May 9, 2003
now, here!
That ref and last goals of Sweden left a really bad taste in my mouth . Finns has to get their game together before Canada and Us games :madfire:

I liked Ruutu, Väänänen and Jussi Jokinen. Also Kapanen and his line had some good shifts.

Olli Jokinen was slow and clumpsy, where was Peltonen?? Erkka has to do something to with these lines.

:teach:

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
mikkoz said:
That ref and last goals of Sweden left a really bad taste in my mouth . Finns has to get their game together before Canada and Us games :madfire:

I liked Ruutu, Väänänen and Jussi Jokinen. Also Kapanen and his line had some good shifts.

Olli Jokinen was slow and clumpsy, where was Peltonen?? Erkka has to do something to with these lines.

:teach:

Yes, a bad taste indeed. After the first period, they played worse than anything I've seen for years. And they apparently were not too convincing against Denmark and Ukraine either...

Well, lets hope that this game serves as a much needed wakeup call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad