WC: May 4 GDT - Sweden vs. Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
anyone think Immonen might have been a better pick than someone for this years team? :dunno:

I don't know what kind of camp he had, and he usually seems to get stuck behind some guys in the depth chart when it comes to international competition...but just wondering if maybe he should have been given a shot?

Shack

Aug 25, 2004
Lappeenranta
Riddarn said:
Hah, he must have had a very late growth spurt in that case. He was 182 cm tall when he left Sweden for the AHL, at age 22. I don't think he has grown that much since.. Kronwall is barely 6 feet.

If you find different numbers somewhere, then they are wrong.

I think that they showed these numbers at last night broadcast.

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
mattihp said:
I really hope Erkka isn't our head coach after this tournament...

He'd be a very fine assistant, but is not much of head coach material...

He chooses a pretty good team, but doesn't know how to play them.

if he were to get fired.. who do you think would replace him? I heard Blomqvist is going back into coaching :D

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Finn said:
if he were to get fired.. who do you think would replace him? I heard Blomqvist is going back into coaching :D
He'd have the players' respect for sure... But I'd go for someone more experienced....

And considered our "own" coaches haven't won a gold... And that we are a nation that hasn't tasted gold in 10 years, even though hockey is held in big esteem... I think it's time to take in a foreigner to lead it... Sutter from Calgary would be gold, but no chance he'd come to coach a national team in europe I think...

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Raimo Sillanpää said:
There is only one Hannu Jortikka.

Kummola wont be able to select anyone else.
'

the day Jortikka becomes the head coach of our national team I'll stop watching these games.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Padawan said:
There are other options too. Jortikka is still one of the favorites but not a "sure thing". :teach:

Do yuo really think Kummola can pass over him for a third time?

First he hired Summanen and 3 others to do the job because "Jortikka wanted too much money" - And 4 people dont equal that??

Then after Summanen got sacked, in a panick they didnt even look but appointed Westerlund despite the nation calling for Jortikka.

Now, it's 3rd time lucky.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
I think we need someone who is able to really lead the team and make the players play as planned, without causing too much bad blood among them. The middle road between psychotic (R.S.) and too soft (E.W.). I think Jortikka would fit that bill.

Streaker-man

Oct 7, 2004
Finland
Would it be too much if we hired a coach from outside the country? Curre was the previous foreigner. I think that could spice up the atmosphere a bit and Kummola would keep his mouth shut.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Raimo Sillanpää said:

First he hired Summanen and 3 others to do the job because "Jortikka wanted too much money" - And 4 people dont equal that??

Then after Summanen got sacked, in a panick they didnt even look but appointed Westerlund despite the nation calling for Jortikka.

Now, it's 3rd time lucky.

If we fail totally in this tournament or even get eliminated in the quarters, I wouldn't be too surprised if Erkka got demoted, instead of a sacking, to assistant once again, with maybe Jortikka taking the reigns. Erkka's knowledge of the game is too valuable to completely ditch, we just need someone to "force it down the players throats", something Erkka has failed to do.

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Jussi said:
If we fail totally in this tournament or even get eliminated in the quarters, I wouldn't be too surprised if Erkka got demoted, instead of a sacking, to assistant once again, with maybe Jortikka taking the reigns. Erkka's knowledge of the game is too valuable to completely ditch, we just need someone to "force it down the players throats", something Erkka has failed to do.

Completely agreed.

Erkka's knowledge of the game is so good, that we can't let it slip, but we also need a coach that can get players to play with intensity, heart and great determination.. Something Erkka has failed to achieve.

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
Raimo Sillanpää said:
I think Kummola will pass him over if he really wants to, but there's another thing. What if Jortikka doesn't want to take the helm? In that case a foreign head coach might be a good choice.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Streaker-man said:
Would it be too much if we hired a coach from outside the country? Curre was the previous foreigner. I think that could spice up the atmosphere a bit and Kummola would keep his mouth shut.

They should give Igor Larionov a call ;)

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Streaker-man said:
IMO it seems that no finnish coach at the moment can bring anything new to the team... With the teams we've had it's a miracle we only have one gold... Wayne Fleming could be a realistic alternative... But if one of the Sutter boys comes around ;)

A Canadian coach would be preferred considering our players mostly play canadian.

wassup77

Nov 15, 2004
Sweden
mattihp said:
IMO it seems that no finnish coach at the moment can bring anything new to the team... With the teams we've had it's a miracle we only have one gold... Wayne Fleming could be a realistic alternative... But if one of the Sutter boys comes around ;)

A Canadian coach would be preferred considering our players mostly play canadian.

Why isn't that Raimo Summanen coach anymore?

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
wassup77 said:
Why isn't that Raimo Summanen coach anymore?
Because Jaana and the girltroop (which sadly enough has Saku in it...) objected to him, because Jaana didn't get loads of icetime when playing like a Pejorative Slured circus monkey who was lost on his way home from banana school.

wassup77

Nov 15, 2004
Sweden
mattihp said:
Because Jaana and the girltroop (which sadly enough has Saku in it...) objected to him, because Jaana didn't get loads of icetime when playing like a Pejorative Slured circus monkey who was lost on his way home from banana school.

Thats a sad sad sad story :cry:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
wassup77 said:
Thats a sad sad sad story :cry:
Yeah... You can call Summanen's way of coaching, coaching by fear, hate and stuff crazy... but it is what is needed to light a fire under these heartless bums which seem to form the national team nowadays...

wassup77

Nov 15, 2004
Sweden
mattihp said:
Yeah... You can call Summanen's way of coaching, coaching by fear, hate and stuff crazy... but it is what is needed to light a fire under these heartless bums which seem to form the national team nowadays...

Yeah he did a good job to make them play good in the World Cup. Too bad they're sucha crybabies...

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
wassup77 said:
Yeah he did a good job to make them play good in the World Cup. Too bad they're sucha crybabies...

Don't believe everything Mattihp says - fact is that Summanen was being an ******* and continued to badmouth Niinimaa even after he had left the team until Saku had to stand up and told Summanen to **** and move on.

Summanen was the kind of coach that gives you 1 year of good coaching, after that players don't buy his badass style anymore - especially NHLers. It might work in Europe but not among NHL pros.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad