GDT: WC! Kraken vs Golden Knights, 01 Jan

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
And a especially Happy New Year to the Kraken faithful and see you next time same Bat channel same Bat time or something to that effect

Reactions: kihei

Hocktopus

Jul 1, 2023
BC
Absolutely beautiful win and great game to watch on TV! If this win had been on the road, I would say that the Kraken played the perfect road game. It was also good to see offense from a couple of guys that had not scored in a while (Yanni and Borgen).

Vegas, like the last team we played in the Flames, has historically owned us, so this was such a great win! Now, just need the Huskies to beat the Longhorns in a few hours!

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
IMG_0132.jpeg

D’Accord robbing Eichel was particularly sweet, I thought…

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Daccord needs to be our starter. I'd look into moving on from grubauer if possible
It will be a hard sell to rid ourselves of the mostly Underachieving and over paid Gru...5.9 M cap hit for 3 more years after this one

Absolutely beautiful win and great game to watch on TV! If this win had been on the road, I would say that the Kraken played the perfect road game. It was also good to see offense from a couple of guys that had not scored in a while (Yanni and Borgen).

Vegas, like the last team we played in the Flames, has historically owned us, so this was such a great win! Now, just need the Huskies to beat the Longhorns in a few hours!
Yep great win by the Kraken squad

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It will be a hard sell to rid ourselves of the mostly Underachieving and over paid Gru...5.9 M cap hit for 3 more years after this one

Yes and I'm so sure of it that I don't think there's much more to discuss with Grubauer.

Unless he manages to play much better, he's 100% going to be our very expensive backup. He can't be traded and I doubt the FO wants a buyout that will stretch out Grubauer's costs into our (hopefully) competitive window.

Reactions: Kevinsane

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
So sorry to have missed this game but I am so far under the weather that all I want to do is sleep.

Amazing what Daccord is doing. I am so happy for him....and us.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Absolutley deserving win for the Kraken being the better team from start to finish.

Also, Joey Joey Joey!!!
The guy has taken over and unless Grubauer somehow is being lights out after coming back(um, not expecting too much there) it's Joey's net from now on.

Daccord needs to be our starter. I'd look into moving on from grubauer if possible

I think everyone in the organization would move on from him as well, but they gave him a contract that makes this really hard to do.

BTW: The game was on SkySports in Germany and their expert(former national team goalie and a guy who knows Grubauer privatly) was talking about how Grubauer will probably be out a couple more weeks with his injury.

Reactions: Toomany7pins

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
Every winter Classic has ice issues. This is far from the worst.
Oh, yeah. One of my ice buds at our rink was a grunt working the Tahoe game. THAT was BAD. Now, the NHL is in charge of the ice, not Climate Pledge, so I'm not laying anything against the locals. My only point is that the ice didn't match the game. The ice should have been PERFECT: perfect temps. no precip, no sun, and it wasn't.

JelloPuddyPops

"Gotta support the team."
Oct 9, 2018
Pacific Northwest
Maybe cause the defense isn't been screwing up as of late. No?
It's not just D (or goalie-independent D) and you can look at MoneyPuck for the stats if you want to actually take a look.

Biggest difference between Gru and Daccord in all situations? Puck freeze rate (and not from a rebound perspective).

Daccord has by far the biggest difference between expected puck freezes and actual puck freezes in the NHL for goalies with a minimum of 10 starts. And furthermore, Joey and Gru couldn't be any different in this stat. Since they have virtually identical numbers for "rebounds per save," the most likely culprit is that Joey is much, much more active in playing the puck with his stick than Gru.

Joey keeps the puck moving when he has the opportunity while Gru tends to freeze it.

The Kraken are not a good faceoff team (23rd out of 32 in all situations). Would you rather have your goaltender freeze the puck for a d-zone draw or handle the puck and help the defense clear the zone? In the Kraken's case, avoiding that draw just a few times a game might be a better option.

It's possible that Joey's puck handling is helping Seattle's defense clear the zone... and that's an area the Kraken d struggled mightly the first quarter of the season.

It remains to be seen how the numbers play out the rest of the season but there is reason to believe that Daccord's puck handling is a huge benefit to Seattle's D.

(Daccord also has a higher SV% than Gru on unblocked shots and low-danger unblocked shots... as someone else noted, Joey is making the easy saves at a higher rate than Gru, so far.)

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
Daccords' performance with the puck is only going to improve with experience=more confidence. And as Jello mentions above, having fewer D zone draws is also huge, particularly when the Krak's FO % is below average.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad