WC Gold Medal GDT: Czech Republic vs. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
neogeo69 said:
And psycho-dad - YES, I HAVE SEEN THIS IN NHL GAMES. And yes I have seen guys slash eight times in a row. Or more. In order to get away from an opposition defender who is holding him, or has the stick in the attacker's midsection or has just cross checked in the back, or has his stick in the attacker's skates.

Who is he trying to get away from? Czechs are 20 seconds from World championship, and Smyth is standing in their crease, slashing away at the guys skate and ice. I have seen people slash eachother repeatedly, but this looks crazy. Few of the slashes clearly miss, he does not seem to be sure what the hell he is doing but he is tapping away.

Last edited by a moderator:

espo*

psycho_dad said:
I did not say he killed the president, did I? I said it's NOT normal in the NHL like some people here kept claiming repeatedly. I have seen much worse things, in hockey and outside hockey...that's not the issue. I was responding to the claims that this was "just everyday stuff" because it is not. More dangerous things might happen every round, but in the bizarre factor that was one in a million.

If you wanna discuss what things are worse or more dangerous, yeah, you often get to see a boarding or a similar incidents where players are very close to getting paralyzed etc...of course those are worse and more dangerous. The worst Smyth could have done was to break a few bones in Fischers foot, but of course when you intentionally use your stick in such a bizarre way, people will call it. It stands out.
They are competing,they are pissed off,it's hockey,it happens ALL THE TIME.Watch play in front of the net in any average game and you'll see stuff like that constantly,just not in full view of the world hockey champinship camera's in a gold medal game.....i get your point but the focus on that minor incident is way off to me.
Should we take checking out while we are at it? because every time a guy get's checked there is a possibility he may never play again,that's the honest truth!!!it's rare but can and has happened.Do you despise and rake over the coals every player who has ever fought in nhl play? Because any time players fight there is the possibility someone could die........it takes very little....one wrong landed punch or fall onto the ice on the head.

Smyth's actions? overall it is peanuts........peanuts!!! You made it sound like he did look to whack the prez!! but we all should know different.Hey,you think it's so bad,that's your perogative but to me it was run of the mill hockey stuff that is getting to be made into a big deal by people who just don't like him or the team.I garuntee you Fisher's not making out his will because of it.He'll shrug that stuff off and get ready for the next time it happens because as a 6'5 d-man playing rough physical hockey like he does he knows crap like that will happen another 200 times before he retires.

This was a small incident.I'm not saying Ryan Smyth is Mike Bossy but..........that was f'all seriousely.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Rogalo said:
My God you all sound like ****ing hypocrites :shakehead . Like you never done something wrong and stupid. Of COURSE it was a dumb thing to say and had no class. But taking responsibility for it, admitting it and apologyzing classy is. Period

notice the location. it's misdirection from the moron that smyth is.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Like I said...as an offense it was not in the big league with Bertuzzis, Perezhogins and McSorleys, but it looked insane. I start laughing every time I watch the clip because I have to wonder what the **** is Smyth thinking. Wish I knew that. He does not look sane for a second.

Last edited by a moderator:

espo*

psycho_dad said:
Now I don't get you.

Like I said...as an offense it was not in the big league with Bertuzzis, Perezhogins and McSorleys, but it looked insane. I start laughing every time I watch the clip because I have to wonder what the **** is Smyth thinking. Wish I knew that. He does not look sane for a second.
I guess we both don't get each other as far as the play in question is concerned ...........but i do get some things,i'm not that dumb.the lumberjack snippet makes it easy even for the dullest of us.

espo*

nomorekids said:
i didn't say that.

but where's smyth's apology?
And please correct me if i am wrong but i don't recall you demanding an apology from Mercier for his (had the potential for paralysation) hit on Yellowhorn.Why so up in flames about Smyth's stuff which is child's play compared to Mercier's hit from behind? Is there something personal between you two?

Seems odd to me,i remember you being rightfully happy the U.S won the game but can't recall any horror or anger on your part about the hit in question.

I know i did'nt demand any apoligies from Mercier about it,you can check the thread if you wish.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Streaker-man said:
Verbal attacks don´t end careers, nasty stickwork does. But what Vokoun said was sad. He went clearly over the line. He had better keep his mouth shut if he doesn´t have better lines to get under Heatley´s skin.

Souray's verbal attacks on Salo saw Salo retire a few games later. Not saying that's what ended his career but teasing an already mentally plagued player can do that to a man.

I'm sure Heatley could be reduced to tears with the right words.

espo*

wilka91 said:
Smyth should have been suspended!!!
Neither do i recall you demanding a suspension for Mercier's hit either.Hmmm............that's quite odd..........you being so selective in your choices of screaming bloody murder.Is it just me or am i the only one who notices it's only canuck players that you demand suspension for?

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Pepper said:
Name me one NHL game and one NHL player who repeatedly took 8 heavy slashes at opponents ankles/feet/skates.

Heavy slashes??? Are you kidding me? Are you a ballarina or something?

Fischer didn't even MOVE.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
SmokeyClause said:
I...uh...well...you see...ummm...there's these things within our feet called bones. Quite a few actually. And I don't know how to say this to you without sounding condescending, but you are bringing it upon yourself, so here goes. These bones are frangible and not meant to be hacked upon by grown men with sticks. While hockey boots generally provide adequate protection, they are not perfect. Careless stickwork can damage these bones and malicious slashes can break them.

It's normally considered that human health ranges beyond things like respiratory and circulatory health and can actual delve into the realm of orthopedic concerns. Someone with a broken bone has had his health harmed.

So you see, slashes in the foot can cause broken bones. Broken bones are a detriment to ones health. And when you put the two together, slashing a skate affects human health.

I was unaware we had bones in our skate blades! Thank you doctor anatomy!

Old Hickory

Guys it's time to cool it down or this thread will be closed.No more ethinic/cultural slurs and stop calling each other names. Cool it.

This is your one and only warning

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Pepper said:
Ok, I just have to ask this:

Name me one NHL game and one NHL player who repeatedly took 8 heavy slashes at opponents ankles/feet/skates.

Saying that stuff like this happens all the time in the NHL is an utter and complete lie, I've never ever seen anyone take so many chops at opponent.

Watch Holmstrom in front of the net for one game.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
cyclops said:
And please correct me if i am wrong but i don't recall you demanding an apology from Mercier for his (had the potential for paralysation) hit on Yellowhorn.Why so up in flames about Smyth's stuff which is child's play compared to Mercier's hit from behind? Is there something personal between you two?

Seems odd to me,i remember you being rightfully happy the U.S won the game but can't recall any horror or anger on your part about the hit in question.

I know i did'nt demand any apoligies from Mercier about it,you can check the thread if you wish.

no, i didn't.

but i wasn't complaining up and down about one thing while ignoring another classless act in process. i never said I agreed with what Vokoun said, but what "nikki" was trying to do...that is...rationalize Smyth's actions..while calling attention to something else(which I don't think is better OR worse than what Smyth did) was silly.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
Fischer reacted very well to Smyth's attack, like a patient parent watching his spoiled kid cry over dropped ice cream cone.

Though I do hope Jiri will batter smyth when they meet again in a less important game.

Rogalo

Sep 9, 2004
Copenhagen
cyclops said:
Was'nt Vujtek a player only a few years ago?I seem to remember him playing a short time ago................maybe it's another Vujtek?

I figured Ruzicka was fine for the job.I had said he seemed to do just fine at the world cup so.........................he at least had earned the chance to coach at the world's once.

Yep, that is his son. Vladimir Vůjtek jr. One helluva technical player but not tough enough for the NHL IMO. Plus he did not have luck. Someone slit his face with a skate in camp for example... Or couple of years back he scored a hattrick in the quarter finals against Canada, was on fire with Patera and Procházka in the line. In the end of the match he was crosschecked from behind by Bertuzzi and could not continue on the tourney. Had a bad concusion. A huge fight broke out after that - almost all players rushed on the ice - you might remember...

espo*

Rogalo said:
Yep, that is his son. Vladimir Vůjtek jr. One helluva technical player but not tough enough for the NHL IMO. Plus he did not have luck. Someone slit his face with a skate in camp for example... Or couple of years back he scored a hattrick in the quarter finals against Canada, was on fire with Patera and Procházka in the line. In the end of the match he was crosschecked from behind by Bertuzzi and could not continue on the tourney. Had a bad concusion. A huge fight broke out after that - almost all players rushed on the ice - you might remember...
Thought i recognized him................i think he used to play for
edmonton for a short time? thx.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
psycho_dad said:

Can you (or someone else) post the clip?! I would like to see it again.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
waffledave said:
I was unaware we had bones in our skate blades! Thank you doctor anatomy!

I was unaware that you felt, quite erroneously I might add, that his slashes only connected with his skate blades. I felt that it was understood that the slashes were at his skates, which, GASP, have feet in them! If you wanna be sarcastic, make sure you aren't being foolish too. It just makes for an awkward conversation all around.

If you feel he was hitting only his skate blades, you need to stop thanking me, Dr. Anatomy, and start consulting nomorekids, Dr. Optometry. He can straighten out whatever is causing you to see only what you want to see (or maybe I should say only what you hope to see).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad