WC Gold Medal GDT: Czech Republic vs. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

KH1

What's weird about the Smyth incident to me is that he just kept repeatedly going after Fischer's feet and ankles. If he really had a bone to pick with him, Smyth's a big guy and would have knocked him down to the ice. It's not a huge deal in my estimation, though.

BTW, I've gotta hand it to the Czech Republic on one helluva tourney.

Streaker-man

Oct 7, 2004
Finland
waffledave said:
Souray's verbal attacks on Salo saw Salo retire a few games later. Not saying that's what ended his career but teasing an already mentally plagued player can do that to a man.

I'm sure Heatley could be reduced to tears with the right words.

Well in that case it was only a good thing. Swedish hockey thanks Sheldon ;)

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
cyclops said:
And please correct me if i am wrong but i don't recall you demanding an apology from Mercier for his (had the potential for paralysation) hit on Yellowhorn.Why so up in flames about Smyth's stuff which is child's play compared to Mercier's hit from behind? Is there something personal between you two?

Seems odd to me,i remember you being rightfully happy the U.S won the game but can't recall any horror or anger on your part about the hit in question.

I know i did'nt demand any apoligies from Mercier about it,you can check the thread if you wish.

Some may note that the hit on Yellowhorn was all over the media(as it should have been), and Mercier was justly ejected. Smyth's repetitive slashing has NOT been picked up by media in NAmeica, nor, to my knowledge is any punishment pending. Plus, as severe as the Colton Yellowhorn hit was by Mercier, it was a split second thing. Smyth dishes out so many slashes, you'd think he's the Energizer Bunny...y'know, keeps going, and going ang going....

Rogalo

Sep 9, 2004
Copenhagen
cyclops said:
Thought i recognized him................i think he used to play for
edmonton for a short time? thx.

Dont know for sure the first team was Edmonton but the second was definately Atlanta and - he did´nt suceed. Oh and one more thing about his "luck" I just remebered. He missed Nagano because of some rare heart muscle strain. Right after the olympics he was fine. Unbelievable. The guy is jinxed :)

Rogalo

Sep 9, 2004
Copenhagen
12# Peter Bondra said:
Bertuzzi also boarded Sekeras in the 2000 WC's, causing him to go out of the tourney.

Oh yes...the sweet memories of Bertuzzi. What a joy! There is so much to remember:) :jump:

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
neogeo69 said:
"Heavy Slash"? Smyth missed on more than half of his "heavy slash"es. This is from a guy who's known for deflecting 90 km/h pucks in mid air into the net. If Smyth wanted to hurt Fischer, it wouldn't be at slashing on the skate blade.

Holy contradiction batman!

So you're saying that 1) Smyth was aiming at skate blades 2) has excellent accuracy as proven by those deflections and still missed intentionally half his slashes?

So you're not only contradicting yourself big time but your theory of Smyth slashing skateblades is nothing but fantasy as several of the slashes hit Fischer on top of the skate (not much protection there) or ankles.

So which is it? Smyth has great aim? Smyth intentionally missed half of his slashes? He intentionally tried to hit Fischer at ankles & top of skates? He tried to miss but missed the miss and hit Fischer in the skate?

Good lord, it's one thing to make excuses for Smyth but please let's try to stick (no pun intended) on factual level here.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
This thread is priceless. Some of you people are trying to defend a pansie who acted like a pampered 5 year old girl.

Anyway, keep on making those excuses people. Theyre almost as funny as watching Smyth trying pathetically to injure Fischer, but because of being such a wimp he can't really get anything done.

nikki9

Mar 19, 2005
Rogalo said:
My God you all sound like ****ing hypocrites :shakehead . Like you never done something wrong and stupid. Of COURSE it was a dumb thing to say and had no class. But taking responsibility for it, admitting it and apologyzing classy is. Period

Hypocrite, eh!! Sorry, but I've never called anyone a murderer for getting into an accident. Excuse us all for having opinions.

espo*

octopi said:
Some may note that the hit on Yellowhorn was all over the media(as it should have been), and Mercier was justly ejected. Smyth's repetitive slashing has NOT been picked up by media in NAmeica, nor, to my knowledge is any punishment pending. Plus, as severe as the Colton Yellowhorn hit was by Mercier, it was a split second thing. Smyth dishes out so many slashes, you'd think he's the Energizer Bunny...y'know, keeps going, and going ang going....
Were you here demanding an apology from Mercier though? Well,were you? and it was a hell of a lot worse,i'm sure we can at least agree on that.Right?Your excuse of "split second" sounds pretty convenient to me i would say.So if i split second check you from behind and you end up playing wheelchair basketball for the rest of your life does that mean all is well and good but if i take 3 seconds and decide to give you some love taps on the leg i better get on t.v and say three hail Mary's and two our fathers for all of you? :shakehead

espo*

GCZ said:
This thread is priceless. Some of you people are trying to defend a pansie who acted like a pampered 5 year old girl.

Anyway, keep on making those excuses people. Theyre almost as funny as watching Smyth trying pathetically to injure Fischer, but because of being such a wimp he can't really get anything done.
Why not defend him? Others get defended around here for much worse.Hey,i don't cry about stuff like that so why are others all up in arms about that silly foolishness.Waht is the uproar from guys like you really about here? I wonder?.....................I'll be watching to see if you are so vigilant in your demands for justice when some other dudes from other places lose it a little.

Backin72

Jul 9, 2004
Winnipeg
Wisent said:
Please could someone provide a link to what Vokoun said? I can't believe it until I read it myself. Something official would be nice.
Thanks

* Go to http://www.cknw.com/audiovault/audiovault.cfm
*(sign up for the service - it's free)
* Select "SUN MAY 15" under date: and "9pm" under hour and hit "GO".
Windows Media player will open up.
* Adjust the scroll on the bottom to "35:35".

A brief overview of a Czech interview with Vokoun included the following:

When asked what happened in the final seconds?

Heatley insulted Vokoun with "****ing Czechs" and Vokoun replied with a tactless reminder of Heatley´s guilt on his teammate death in the car accident.

- "I would take it back the minute I said it", said Vokoun, "it was a really bad thing to say, but I was really upset. I am sorry. I tried to apologize immediately but he wouldnt listen"

*many thanks to dasher12 over at the ESPN Boards for the link and overview.*

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
GCZ said:

If I had a choice between being slashed or listening to self righteous crap, I'd think long and hard. Smyth reacted out of frustration. He shouldn't have. I suspect he knows this. I yelled at my 14 year old for leaving a shovel in the driveway yesterday. We all got over it. Tell ya what, we'll bring back the death penalty. Get over yourself.

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
SmokeyClause said:
I was unaware that you felt, quite erroneously I might add, that his slashes only connected with his skate blades. I felt that it was understood that the slashes were at his skates, which, GASP, have feet in them! If you wanna be sarcastic, make sure you aren't being foolish too. It just makes for an awkward conversation all around.

If you feel he was hitting only his skate blades, you need to stop thanking me, Dr. Anatomy, and start consulting nomorekids, Dr. Optometry. He can straighten out whatever is causing you to see only what you want to see (or maybe I should say only what you hope to see).

This whole skate blades thing makes no difference. Have you not seen the skates that players wear? They're not made of felt, man. The armour on those things would damn near stop a bullet. If Smyth was truly attempting to injure Fischer (as many of you are implying), he could have done it and would have done it. These guys play hockey for a living, they know where the chinks in the armour are.

I'm not defending Smyth, what he did was idiotic and he looked like a total jackass out there, but what do you people want? I don't think any of us have actually supported what he did, but let it go already. How did this become the biggest story of the tournament?

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Rogalo said:
In the end of the match he was crosschecked from behind by Bertuzzi and could not continue on the tourney. Had a bad concusion. A huge fight broke out after that - almost all players rushed on the ice - you might remember...
12# Peter Bondra said:
Bertuzzi also boarded Sekeras in the 2000 WC's, causing him to go out of the tourney.
Bertuzzi, what a looser. That's why I've NEVER liked him and I don't want him to wear the Canadian jersey never again. I've been watching the WCh for years and I remember very well how Bertuzzi used to make SOOOO many stupid penalties. I've hated him way before his suckerpunch, he's definitely not an asset but a huge liability to Team Canada.

BeerTuzzi

Nov 27, 2003
Actually the reason why Smyth did what he did was because he was so sick and tired of Czech clutching, grabbing, sticking the whole Canadian team. He lost it and for good reason. Watching the Czech team play hockey is frustrating as hell. They produce more stick infractions than any other team and seem to get away with it. Talk about boring hockey. One example was when a Czech defensemen hooked a candian forward across the Czech 's blueline to get an offside call on the Canadians. If not for that the Candians would have had a great scoring chance. I don't understand how stuff like that does not get called. Can someone explain this to me?

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
BeerTuzzi said:
Actually the reason why Smyth did what he did was because he was so sick and tired of Czech clutching, grabbing, sticking the whole Canadian team. He lost it and for good reason. Watching the Czech team play hockey is frustrating as hell. They produce more stick infractions than any other team and seem to get away with it. Talk about boring hockey. One example was when a Czech defensemen hooked a candian forward across the Czech 's blueline to get an offside call on the Canadians. If not for that the Candians would have had a great scoring chance. I don't understand how stuff like that does not get called. Can someone explain this to me?

It's just how the game is called over here. Our players knew that going in, so there are no excuses, and no point complaining about it now. You're right though, it is terrible hockey to watch. Successful, but boring.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
So the Canadians got frustrated at the alleged stickwork by czechs and Smyth got the frustration out of his system the good ol' canadian way of slashing the opponents ankles & skates 8 times?

Gotcha.

Seriously, the level of excuses here is pathetic.

Why can't you people admit that what Smyth did was pathetic & cheap and leave it at that?

BeerTuzzi

Nov 27, 2003
Well I fully admit what he did was stupid. That's not the point here. I am just offering a reason why I think he did it. Get it now...

BeerTuzzi

Nov 27, 2003
Pepper said:
So the Canadians got frustrated at the alleged stickwork by czechs and Smyth got the frustration out of his system the good ol' canadian way of slashing the opponents ankles & skates 8 times?

Gotcha.

Why can't you people admit that what Smyth did was pathetic & cheap and leave it at that?

Can you explain to me what "the good ol' canadian way of slashing the opponents ankles & skates 8 times" is. I am not familiar with this way?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
BeerTuzzi said:
Can you explain to me what "the good ol' canadian way of slashing the opponents ankles & skates 8 times" is. I am not familiar with this way?

Read between the lines.
His point is that it's not the traditional Canadian way (unless you're Bobby Clark) and should not be defended.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Pepper said:

Gotcha.

I'm not making excuses for Smyth. Frankly - this type of play is exactly what I expect from players battling in front of the net. Similarly I have not problem with Fischer (or other defenseman) doing the same thing back to Smyth.

I seriously can't believe that you've never seen this type of play before between players battling in front of the net. IMO - this is a "so what's the big deal?" play. I've seen it before, I'll see it again.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
neogeo69 said:
I seriously can't believe that you've never seen this type of play before between players battling in front of the net. IMO - this is a "so what's the big deal?" play. I've seen it before, I'll see it again.

Name me the game, year and players where either of them took 8 deliberate slashes at the ankles & skates without paying any attention to game around him. Time starts now.

There's a huge difference between your normal everyday front of the net crosscheck/roughing and this, I can't believe people are actually calling this one of those situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad