Great Britain: WC D1A Budapest, Hungary (Final roster announced)

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
The theory is irrelevant? A theory that has been used by thousands of hockey people around the world for many years is irrelevant? I can't tell if you're serious or just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing. And again I'm not comparing, it's a ****ing example of a team giving a young player ice time so he has some experience playing international hockey, so when he's thrown into a key role later on, he knows what to expect.

I'm the one baffled by your inability to comprehend the theory and the fact that I've said 100 times in multiple conversations that I understand that Canada and GB are in 2 totally different situations but theories in player development don't change in these situations, regardless of what jersey you're wearing. Giving a player some experience in a situation that he'll be relied to perform in in the near future is obvious :laugh: you don't wait until he's the only guy left then throw him into a tournament where you expect him to perform despite his complete lack of experience. And hey, remember when I said these tournament setups are broken and should have a playoff after the round robin? Well if they did that, they'd have no problem giving him a game in the round robin, or should they not do that because that's something that other countries would do?

It is irrelevant to us in this situation.

It would be relevant if we were playing in a small round robin tournament during one of the international breaks but this is the pinnacle of international competition for us. We aren't going to risk putting in a young goalie when we have a better one.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
don't see what my background has to do with my knowledge

You're in no way qualified to make decisions for GB's Men's National team lol neither am I. All we can do here is share opinions on what we think, you can't just determine what is/isn't best and classify someone's opinion as wrong unless they're saying something ridiculous like "Ben Bowns should play 1st line Center, put Tony Hand in net, and wear the jerseys backwards so referees can call us by our last name while talking directly to us."

My philosophy is that you should always be developing your future, especially in a country that isn't exactly producing large numbers of quality players to play on the international stage. That philosophy is applied in many different sports, countries, leagues, around the world. Feel free to disagree, there are plenty of people with different approaches, but saying it's outright wrong is silly

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
donno why but my posts aren't showed up as the most recent post in the thread from the front page view...

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
You're in no way qualified to make decisions for GB's Men's National team lol neither am I. All we can do here is share opinions on what we think, you can't just determine what is/isn't best and classify someone's opinion as wrong unless they're saying something ridiculous like "Ben Bowns should play 1st line Center, put Tony Hand in net, and wear the jerseys backwards so referees can call us by our last name while talking directly to us."

My philosophy is that you should always be developing your future, especially in a country that isn't exactly producing large numbers of quality players to play on the international stage. That philosophy is applied in many different sports, countries, leagues, around the world. Feel free to disagree, there are plenty of people with different approaches, but saying it's outright wrong is silly

Then what do you think about Canada not picking the best possible team for the Olympics and going with younger players, resulting in not winning? The World Championships are our Olympics.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Then what do you think about Canada not picking the best possible team for the Olympics and going with younger players, resulting in not winning? The World Championships are our Olympics.

Still you keep saying "not picking the best possible team" and "going with younger players" as if Ben Bowns isn't one of the best possible goalies available to GB and as if I'm suggesting he plays the entire tournament as the starter. :laugh:

But ye the 2006 Canadian Olympic team didn't pick Sidney Crosby and I was pretty angry about that at the time. 2010 the Canadian team was relatively young and even brought along a 20 year old Drew Doughty as the 7th defenseman over Mike Green who was on absolute fire that year with 76 points in the NHL. I definitely wasn't complaining about that, I was actually really happy to see it. I also wanted Stamkos at the 2010 Olympics but they shafted him like they did 4 years earlier with Crosby but in fairness Stamkos was underwhelming in his rookie season (2008-09) which is likely why he didn't make it as the 13th forward.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Still you keep saying "not picking the best possible team" and "going with younger players" as if Ben Bowns isn't one of the best possible goalies available to GB and as if I'm suggesting he plays the entire tournament as the starter. :laugh:

But ye the 2006 Canadian Olympic team didn't pick Sidney Crosby and I was pretty angry about that at the time. 2010 the Canadian team was relatively young and even brought along a 20 year old Drew Doughty as the 7th defenseman over Mike Green who was on absolute fire that year with 76 points in the NHL. I definitely wasn't complaining about that, I was actually really happy to see it. I also wanted Stamkos at the 2010 Olympics but they shafted him like they did 4 years earlier with Crosby but in fairness Stamkos was underwhelming in his rookie season (2008-09) which is likely why he didn't make it as the 3th forward.

We're not talking about Ben Bowns anymore, we're talking about your "theory" of bringing along young players to develop them in international tournaments.

I don't think picking Drew Doughty over Mike Green was that unreasonable considering Green can't defend, but that's a discussion that belongs somewhere else. I think you're clearly in the minority, I am sure most Canadians would prefer to have the best possible team at the time to win the gold. Not picking Crosby was a mistake though, he was the best player in the league.

Last edited:

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
We're not talking about Ben Bowns anymore, we're talking about your "theory" of bringing along young players to develop them in international tournaments.

I don't think picking Drew Doughty over Mike Green was that unreasonable considering Green can't defend, but that's a discussion that belongs somewhere else. I think you're clearly in the minority, I am sure most Canadians would prefer to have the best possible team at the time to win the gold. Not picking Crosby was a mistake though, he was the best player in the league.

Well if we went with what most Canadians would prefer we would have an NHL team in Halifax, Quebec City, Victoria, Hamilton, Mississauga. No Euro's or Americans in the CHL, and the Toronto Maple Leafs would win the cup every year for half of Canada and the Toronto Maple Leafs would never win a cup for the other half ;)

I agree Mike Green turned out to be awful as the years went on but when you have a point a game player at your disposal for a 7th D-man spot, I think a lot of people would take him just for the PP alone and if I remember correctly a lot of Canadians were upset that he was left off the team for his offense (Most of them probably forgot they were mad after Canada won gold :sarcasm: ). I'm certain I'm in the minority when it comes to hockey fans in Canada because a lot of Canadians think it's their birth right to be hockey experts with limited knowledge/experience in the sport :laugh: that's why you'll never see me posting in the NHL teams section about my favorite team, I disagree with most of the opinions/views of fans.

And back to your first sentence, I've been talking about Ben Bowns this entire time. I never said take a full team of youngsters to the tournament so I'm not going to not respond to it when you say it. I said I hoped for Ben Bowns to get in a game or two, that statement should be so insignificant yet here we are. All that statement is saying is that I hope Ben Bowns gets a chance to play in a game against Div 1A competition while he has the chance because he's the obvious choice for goalie of the future for GB and that future could be next year, who knows? I think I'll pee myself if he gets a start in the tournament and does amazing, would never bet on it but if it happened my pants would need a changin' :sarcasm:

Edit: Also from that '06 Canada team they had Patrice Bergeron. He was so insignificant there that I almost forgot about him hahaha. They took him because he had experience playing with Crosby in international tournaments before. He's obviously a good PK/Faceoff guy but there were definitely better options out there (Brad Richards Maybe? I'm still on my phone and don't have the numbers in front of me for that season but I don't think he was that bad. He also had Olympic experience)

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
And back to your first sentence, I've been talking about Ben Bowns this entire time. I never said take a full team of youngsters to the tournament so I'm not going to not respond to it when you say it. I said I hoped for Ben Bowns to get in a game or two, that statement should be so insignificant yet here we are. All that statement is saying is that I hope Ben Bowns gets a chance to play in a game against Div 1A competition while he has the chance because he's the obvious choice for goalie of the future for GB and that future could be next year, who knows? I think I'll pee myself if he gets a start in the tournament and does amazing, would never bet on it but if it happened my pants would need a changin' :sarcasm:

Yeah but you made it not about Ben Bowns when you brought up Canada

Bojovnik

Feb 11, 2007
England
I think GB will finish 5th with four points. Honestly, 1A is so tight to call I can't decide.

I can see them getting a point from the Hungary game, and then beating Japan and Korea for fourth place. Alternatively, I could see them having to beat Korea on the final day to stay up.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
I think GB will finish 5th with four points. Honestly, 1A is so tight to call I can't decide.

I can see them getting a point from the Hungary game, and then beating Japan and Korea for fourth place. Alternatively, I could see them having to beat Korea on the final day to stay up.

Yeah it's tough, Japan spanked us last year then we beat them on their ice in the Olympic pre-qualifiers

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
No you made it not about Ben Bowns when I brought up Canada :laugh:

You always do that when I bring up an example, even my Latvian example wasn't good enough for you :sarcasm:

"No you started it!"

apple-and-orange.jpg

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
As I said before I think Italy is a shoe in for one of the 2 places and the other is wide open. Sh^t the bed for 1 game and it's done for any team. Play lights out and it's there for the taking if you want it bad enuff.
As for allot of the conversation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XPHL4Q86t4
AND
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHt1DgeRwuo
Looking forward to a Team Canada/Team GB game in 2014.
Maple syrup and Puka pies being served :shakehead
Good Luck/Bonne Chance Team GB give 'er in Budapest

Last edited:

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I didn't even think of the obvious connection... Ben O'Connor plays on a Kazakh team and his Kazakh GM isn't let him go play in the World Championships, again Kazakhstan. hmmmmm

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
If we were to somehow get promoted does that mean that we'd be against the likes of Canada and USA next year?

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
To be fair they didn't let him go last year and Kazakhstan weren't in our group

That team moved up to VHL remember? He's on a different team this year, this time last year he was probably playing meaningful games in the playoffs with the team that's now promoted so he probably didn't want to leave anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad