Great Britain: WC D1A Budapest, Hungary (Final roster announced)

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Official GDT for the tournament, final roster announced

http://www.icehockeyuk.co.uk/hand-names-squad-for-hungary-p183095

Great Britain head coach Tony Hand has named a 22-man squad for the upcoming World Championship (Division 1A) in Budapest.

GB begin their training camp this morning, before flying out on Friday for the six-team tournament which runs from 14th to 20th April 2013.

They will begin their quest for promotion to the top flight with a match against the hosts Hungary on Sunday, followed by games against Kazakhstan, Italy, Japan and Korea.

Hand said: "All games are tough at this level and they will be five difficult games for us throughout the tournament.

"We are taking a strong team away with us, even though we have key guys out.

"I would love the team to come away with a medal.

"We are looking forward to the three-day camp now and get ourselves prepared for an important week."

Netminders

Ben Bowns (Hull Stingrays)
Stephen Murphy (Belfast Giants)

Defencemen

Luke Boothroyd (Manchester Phoenix)
Stevie Lee (Nottingham Panthers)
Danny Meyers (Sheffield Steelers)
David Phillips (Belfast Giants)
Mark Richardson (Cardiff Devils)
Mark Thomas (Sheffield Steelers)
Jonathan Weaver (Nottingham Panthers)

Forwards
David Clarke (Nottingham Panthers)
Ben Davies (Cardiff Devils)
Robert Dowd (Troja Ljungby)
Robert Farmer (Braehead Clan)
Phil Hill (Cardiff Devils)
Robert Lachowicz (Nottingham Panthers)
Matthew Myers (Nottingham Panthers)
Aaron Nell (Swindon Wildcats)
Greg Owen (Basingstoke Bison)
Craig Peacock (Belfast Giants)
Jonathan Phillips (Sheffield Steelers)
Colin Shields (Belfast Giants)
Ashley Tait (Sheffield Steelers)

schedule

14th April GB v Hungary 18:30 GMT
15th April GB v Kazakhstan 15:00 GMT
17th April GB v Italy 15:00 GMT
19th April GB v Japan 15:00 GMT
20th April GB v South Korea 11:30 GMT

All games will be live on Premier Sports.

Last edited:

Call me Suds

Dec 21, 2012
There he is ;)

I hope you saying the games will be on Premier Sports means live feeds can be found

villevalo

Feb 29, 2012
UK
Shaun Thompson makes the list now too :handclap:

Excellent news for him as he's had a fantastic season.

Christ I hope we keep him for next season.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Shaun Thompson makes the list now too :handclap:

Excellent news for him as he's had a fantastic season.

Christ I hope we keep him for next season.

I must admit in all the Bees games I've lined this season I've never actually noticed Thompson, maybe it's because of his style of play or maybe it's because he doesn't have sick flow like Masa and Bendik :laugh:

I hope Ben Davies makes the team, partly so we don't have to listen to Dave Simms licking his balls and saying how he should be there throughout the entire broadcast

Call me Suds

Dec 21, 2012
I must admit in all the Bees games I've lined this season I've never actually noticed Thompson, maybe it's because of his style of play or maybe it's because he doesn't have sick flow like Masa and Bendik :laugh:

I hope Ben Davies makes the team, partly so we don't have to listen to Dave Simms licking his balls and saying how he should be there throughout the entire broadcast

was not expecting to read "licking his balls" there hahaha

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
So apparently the team HAS been announced already

http://www.teamgb.com/news/hand-names-22-man-squad-ice-hockey-world-championships

There are four changes to the squad that was originally selected for the final Olympic qualifier before Stevie Lyle and Steve Lee came in for Stephen Murphy and Jonathan Weaver.
Lee is this time in from the off along with fellow defender Luke Boothroyd and forwards Ben Davies and Aaron Nell while Ben O’Connor, Rod Sarich, Mark Garside and Jason Hewitt miss out.

Ben O'Connor must be injured, that's a huge loss

Last edited:

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
No Ben O'Connor? :help: He was one of the leading scorers at the Olympic Qualifiers :cry: I remember him missing from last years WC roster as well, any chance it's because he's playing playoffs in Kazahkstan?

on The Hockey Forum someone mentioned something about a meaningless 3rd/4th place playoff series that he has to play in, looks like it isn't injury anyway

O'Connor tweeted there's an issue with his club and it's out of his hands. He's not injured. A clash with the playoffs in Kazakhstan maybe

I'm sure O'Connor tweeted that although his team have been knocked out the play-off's, they still have a 3rd/4th place series to play - maybe that's why he can't play.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
on The Hockey Forum someone mentioned something about a meaningless 3rd/4th place playoff series that he has to play in, looks like it isn't injury anyway

Ye I was creeping twitter while in the washroom lol saw his tweets:

Ben O'Connor ‏@benoconnor1988 6h
@weephil56 Its nothing to do with GB it is problems with my club team over here #handsaretied

Ben O'Connor ‏@benoconnor1988 6h
@ElGordoSteel Alot of complications over here that i am really not pleased about but it is what is #Rattled #Gutted

I'm weirdly glad to see he's mad about it :laugh: just like knowing he cares about the tournament and representing GB and doesn't mind to say he's pissed at his team for holding him out of the tournament.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
i would think that Italy is the fav in this group fer sur. The others.. Kazakhstan is always troublesome. Hungary hockey seems to be on the rise? Japan and Korea...dunno should be a competitive tourney. Every team has played Oly quallifiers.
I think Italy and then whoever. Up for grabs. Just give 'er GB

Bojovnik

Feb 11, 2007
England
To be fair, GB didn't have O'Connor last year and managed to beat Hungary... Saying that, they did get spanked by Japan, Austria and Slovenia.

With O'Connor I felt that GB would have had a chance as Kazakhstan are without Yeremeyev, and I think that Italy aren't as good as Austria and Slovenia, but now with losing their #1 D-man, it will be basically be a repeat of the pre-qualifier to see who goes down.

Seriously questioning some of Hand's selections, namely the fact that James Griffin isn't going. How can you justify not taking a player who won the best British player award by IHJUK? Would have also taken Cowley instead of Nell, but ho hum.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
To be fair, GB didn't have O'Connor last year and managed to beat Hungary... Saying that, they did get spanked by Japan, Austria and Slovenia.

With O'Connor I felt that GB would have had a chance as Kazakhstan are without Yeremeyev, and I think that Italy aren't as good as Austria and Slovenia, but now with losing their #1 D-man, it will be basically be a repeat of the pre-qualifier to see who goes down.

Seriously questioning some of Hand's selections, namely the fact that James Griffin isn't going. How can you justify not taking a player who won the best British player award by IHJUK? Would have also taken Cowley instead of Nell, but ho hum.

Griffin won best U21 player, not best British player

But I have to agree, Griffin should have been picked over Boothroyd at least, I don't rate Mark Thomas very highly either

Bojovnik

Feb 11, 2007
England
As always, hoping Ben Bowns gets a start or two

Don't think he will. The nature of this tournament means that there aren't any 'nothing' games.

Besides, despite the statistics, Murph had a pretty damn good tournament. GB needs him to be at his best again.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Don't think he will. The nature of this tournament means that there aren't any 'nothing' games.

Besides, despite the statistics, Murph had a pretty damn good tournament. GB needs him to be at his best again.

Murphy had a pretty damn good tournament? When? He was awful at last years WC and he didn't play in the Olympic Qualifiers, he played in the Pre-Qualifiers and had good games against Romania and Japan but got beat up by Korea.

Anyway, I still HOPE to see a game or two for Ben Bowns. Nobody really knows if he can play at this level yet (basically do exactly what Murphy does now), he plays on the worst EIHL team and puts up great numbers and I'm confident that if you put him on Belfast he'd give Murphy a run for his money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad