WC: WC a bang to the cocky NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
1-Can you remind me how far reached Canada with full NHL roster in last 3 years?:sarcasm:
2-How far reached Slovakia last year with Gaborik,Hossa & Co ??
3-And Finnland got nothing but last year with European players in main roles they got a gold medal.
4-Thoresen?? Filppula from Detroit Red Wings 7 points out of 10 against France and Kazahstan! So what were you saying?:sarcasm:

Canadians are not going to discuss your arguments any further becase by their perfect logic "they are all flawed" and "because we won last Olympics" :):):)

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
You have to understand that it's very difficult for my countrymen to admit that other countries such as Sweden, Finland and Russia are as good or even better than us.

I have a tremendous respect for European hockey, what would the NHL be without all the Swedes, Russians, Czechs, Finns?

I watch a lot of KHL, SEL, SM-Liiga and CZE extraliga and enjoy it very much, sometimes even more than NHL hockey.

Trovatore

May 14, 2012
Moscow
You have to understand that it's very difficult for my countrymen to admit that other countries such as Sweden, Finland and Russia are as good or even better than us.

I have a tremendous respect for European hockey, what would the NHL be without all the Swedes, Russians, Czechs, Finns?

I watch a lot of KHL, SEL, SM-Liiga and CZE extraliga and enjoy it very much, sometimes even more than NHL hockey.
They are not as good, let alone better. But they're close enough not to call Canada's loss against any of those teams 'an upset'.

pouskin74*

The US made it to the finals of the '91CCup, won the '96 WCup and also the finals of the '02 and '06 OG. Like it or not they have proven themselves to be a step ahead of Sweden and quite a bit ahead of Russia at the elite level.

You wanted to say 2010? right? And as i said several times where all these tournaments were held?? In North America!

pouskin74*

Maybe you don't understand the US does not send it's best players to the WC therefor it is a bad example to use. 2006 was a transition year from the old aging players to the up comers, it wasn't a good team.

IIHF ranking means absolutely nothing. End of story.

Who cares in Europe about this?:sarcasm:

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
You wanted to say 2010? right? And as i said several times where all these tournaments were held?? In North America!

Sorry, yes meant 2010. There has only been one best on best held in Europe (excluding the '72 SS) so it is ridiculous to draw any such conclusions about where the NA teams can and can't win. At every other level in the IIHF the US and Canada have won plenty of times in Europe (U20, U18, Ivan H., etc..) so there really is no basis for what you are suggesting as far as I can tell.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Off topic with regards to geography:

Bernotai, 26 km north of Vilnius, Lithuania, is the official geographical midpoint of Europe. For those who don't know about the geography of Lithuania: Vilnius lies in the very east, close to the Belarus border.

You can of course make several points why the Baltic states should be categorized as Eastern Europe, but it doesn't make it so. Especially since all arguments I've seen so far have to do with how people name these countries in random conversations and/or in media and/or amongst friends. The fact is that the UN, EU, neighbouring countries and the countries themselves define them as either Northern Europe or, more commonly, just the Baltic states which conveniently enough leaves out all of the north/west/south/east-part.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Europeans are welcome to look down their nose at how we do thing in North America all they like. But the fact is that the NHL has the best players in the world, is much more popular than any other hockey league, and far, far more profitable. So we'll probably just keep doing things how we see fit and pretty much ignore all the nay-saying Europeans with an axe to grind about losing their top players to the NHL.

Europeans can care as much as they like about the WHC. We're more than happy with the NHL and the SCF. We can settle which country is tops at the Olympics.

That's exactly the point. Ppl in Na are so full of themselves... for the wrong reasons. I'm not going to argue. there is a lot of hockey ahead of us. I'll just wait and see how the so called best league in the world will lose again and again.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
Off topic with regards to geography:

Bernotai, 26 km north of Vilnius, Lithuania, is the official geographical midpoint of Europe. For those who don't know about the geography of Lithuania: Vilnius lies in the very east, close to the Belarus border.

You can of course make several points why the Baltic states should be categorized as Eastern Europe, but it doesn't make it so. Especially since all arguments I've seen so far have to do with how people name these countries in random conversations and/or in media and/or amongst friends. The fact is that the UN, EU, neighbouring countries and the countries themselves define them as either Northern Europe or, more commonly, just the Baltic states which conveniently enough leaves out all of the north/west/south/east-part.

this isn't rocket science, if possible they would rather be associated with northern europe as opposed to eastern europe, kind of makes sense when you compare the reputation of the two

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Nyström is total hack though, the next Wennerholm.

Personally I can't stand people overanalyzing single tournaments. He actually believes that we would've had a bigger chance with guys like Harju, Andersson and Danielsson just because it gives us more of a 'team'? That's his opinion and I definitely don't agree with it.

Swedish players in Europe SUCK compared to the Finnish, Czech and Russian ditos atm. That's just the way it is. Our second, even third tier players are now playing in North America. Take a team full of European based playes and we're right on par with Switzerland on paper in the World Champs.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Can't we just call them "North-Eastern" European states and all just get along?

For What its worth I always considered them "Eastern" European, but that, as mentioned previously comes from the Cold War designation of eastern bloc nations etc

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Yes both Estonia and Lithuania are also northen countries.

I think the guy who mixed you thought about Nordic countries. Sounds about the same, but if i've learned correct the Nordics are: Finland, Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Denmark

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

I love the pressure Russian fans are putting on their team and themselves. Since it is apparently very easy to win a best-on-best tournament playing on your home continent, I expect nothing less than a gold medal for Team Russia. Canada held serve in 2002, 2004, and 2010, can the Russians in 2014 (after breaking in 2006)?

Last edited:

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
They are Europeans (because their countries are situated in Europe) but are also called Eastern Europeans since geographically they are in the Eastern part of the European Union.

Currently I am living in London and I meet some Poles, Czechs, Latvians here. They call themselves Eastern Europeans.

You should stop because you are blatantly misinforming people with false, opinionated information that is mostly here say and what have you. I have been travelling through central and northern Europe since I was a child. I go back every summer, since I was a kid. I have close family in Denmark, Poland as well as distant relatives who've I've also met from Sweden and Lithuania (very cool that LaGu shared those facts about Lithuania and Vilnius, btw). Continentally, factually speaking these countries are central European. I hate for this to degenerate into an argument, but you are wrong. People you have encountered may have said they come from Eastern Europe (which woulf be particularly odd, especially for Poles, Latvians, Estonians, Lithuanians, Czechs etc. to say... especially) but this is rare. 8 or maybe even 9/10 people you meet from these countries will either refer to themselves by nationality or say they "come from" central Europe

Last edited:

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
Idiotic article.
(1) How far does Russia get without their NHL players?
Would Slovakia even make the QF?
(2) Finland's 3 NHL forwards scored nearly 50% of their team's goals.
(3) 16 of the top 25 scorers were from the NHL.
As for Thoresen:
(4) 4 games against Russia, Sweden, Czechs: 1g 3a4 games against Italy, Germany, Latvia, Denmark: 6g 8a

(1) They would do well with or without em, because they play a defensive style of hockey.

(2) And what do u mean about Finlands NHL forwards? They scored most of their goals on PP. U cant have a first line that dosent score 5 on 5

(3) Or how about 4 of top 20 came from SEL or how about 5 of top 20 came from Norway blablabla. Or how about 3 of the top 20 were canadiens and That means that Norway for some reason is almost twice as good as Canada blablabla.... And I got another good one. Mads Hansen and Ryan Getzlaf both ended up with 2g 7a +6 , but Mads Hansen is a little better, because of Getzlafs match penalty :laugh: :sarcasm: My point is simple. I dnt get why so many people just watch the stats and then think they know whos best/worst etc.

(4) And whats ur point? Paul Stastny ended up with 1 goal and 0 assists vs Canada, Finland*2 and Slovakia. And Norway played better teams than the US. Its alot harder to score on a stacked Russian and Swedish team and how about the czechs. The czechs played like they always do. Defensive and boring.

So whats ur point? NHLrs are so badass, while the rest suck? I know what ur doing. U only want to prove how much none NHLrs suck and not talk about ur own "players". Marcel Goc didnt score for Germany. The danish NHLrs played terrible. But hey lets not talk about that. Lets talk about how lucky Thoresen was. I guess Holøs also was lucky with his 1 goal and 4 assists vs Russia *2 and czech rep......

Last edited:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
(1) They would do well with or without em, because they play a defensive style of hockey.

(2) And what do u mean about Finlands NHL forwards? They scored most of their goals on PP. U cant have a first line that dosent score 5 on 5

(3) Or how about 4 of top 20 came from SEL or how about 5 of top 20 came from Norway blablabla. Or how about 3 of the top 20 were canadiens and That means that Norway for some reason is almost twice as good as Canada blablabla.... And I got another good one. Mads Hansen and Ryan Getzlaf both ended up with 2g 7a +6 , but Mads Hansen is a little better, because of Getzlafs match penalty :laugh: :sarcasm: My point is simple. I dnt get why so many people just watch the stats and then think they know whos best/worst etc.

(4) And whats ur point? Paul Stastny ended up with 1 goal and 0 assists vs Canada, Finland*2 and Slovakia. And Norway played better teams than the US. Its alot harder to score on a stacked Russian and Swedish team and how about the czechs. The czechs played like they always do. Defensive and boring.

So whats ur point? NHLrs are so badass, while the rest suck? I know what ur doing. U only want to prove how much none NHLrs suck and not talk about ur own "players". Marcel Goc didnt score for Germany. The danish NHLrs played terrible. But hey lets not talk about that. Lets talk about how lucky Thoresen was. I guess Holøs also was lucky with his 1 goal and 4 assists vs Russia *2 and czech rep......

Well on danish defence i can say they didn`t have 2 of their best nhlers Regin and Boedker.They would certainly have made a difference

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
Well on danish defence i can say they didn`t have 2 of their best nhlers Regin and Boedker.They would certainly have made a difference

Nja. Eller and Nielsen got as good and maybe better numbers than those two in the NHL. Nielsen is a 0,52 points pr game kinda guy, while Regin is 0,34 points pr game and Bødker 0,33 points pr game.

But lets not make this a discussion about Denmark. The fact is that Hansen, Nielsen, Eller and Larsen got some okey numbers in the NHL and that NHL is soooo much better than any other league argument is stupid!

Face it. Thoresen is a good player. He ended up with 5 points in 4 games in the olympics (In the so called best on best tournament) and Thoresen plays for a weaker team. So it should and is harder for Thoresen to score than Nash, Crosby, Stastny etc.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Nja. Eller and Nielsen got as good and maybe better numbers than those two in the NHL. Nielsen is a 0,52 points pr game kinda guy, while Regin is 0,34 points pr game and Bødker 0,33 points pr game.

But lets not make this a discussion about Denmark. The fact is that Hansen, Nielsen, Eller and Larsen got some okey numbers in the NHL and that NHL is soooo much better than any other league argument is stupid!

Face it. Thoresen is a good player. He ended up with 5 points in 4 games in the olympics (In the so called best on best tournament) and Thoresen plays for a weaker team. So it should and is harder for Thoresen to score than Nash, Crosby, Stastny etc.

I don`t understand what`s your point exactly? That gap between KHL and NHL is small? that`s ridicilous. the gap is quite big actually.

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
Well i could agree with you on that one,but our own Mikelis Redlihs is upper-class player in the KHL,but he was useless in wc this year.

Well it might be the coaching. Thoresen was useless as a right wing and didnt score vs Sweden. He asked Skrøder if he could play left wing and it was okey with Skrøder and bam ;)

I dnt know about Redlihs. Is he as good as Thoresen (well Thoresen plays center for SKA and therefore he dosent score that much. If the SKA coach uses Thoresen as left wing, then Thoresen will produce like in UFA)

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Well it might be the coaching. Thoresen was useless as a right wing and didnt score vs Sweden. He asked Skrøder if he could play left wing and it was okey with Skrøder and bam ;)

I dnt know about Redlihs. Is he as good as Thoresen (well Thoresen plays center for SKA and therefore he dosent score that much. If the SKA coach uses Thoresen as left wing, then Thoresen will produce like in UFA)

Redlihs was leading the league in points for half a season,so yeah hes pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad