WBS Penguins thread | Pre-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Pretty poopy game 5-2 loss with an EN'er.
Got scored on shorthanded.
DiPauli added a shorthander himself to go with Sprong's goal.
Didn't watch it. Was just following along on twitter.
WB was getting outshot 23-9 at one point.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
My guess would be Summers or Pedan.
I'd go with that as well, since whoever gets the call will just be sitting in the press box anyway. At least for now.

Summers looked pretty solid in pre-season. Clearly a limited player, but won't look out of place with protected minutes.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It depends on whether or not they would want to use Hunwick on the LD while Cole is out or keep him RD to keep him used to that side on this team.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Amazing there aren't more comments on Sprong's goal.... that is pure hot fire, reminds me of the Recch'n ball back in the day firing from the circle. I can't wait to see him in the top six this year~~~

Recchi was a lefty though.

That shot looked exactly like Kessel. The difference is Sprong loves to shoot and has a wicked one-timer.

Hopefully he can keep making a case to get called up because his goal scoring prowess could make the Pens tough to beat.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

That shot looked exactly like Kessel. The difference is Sprong loves to shoot and has a wicked one-timer.

Hopefully he can keep making a case to get called up because his goal scoring prowess could make the Pens tough to beat.

Even if he's not good in his own end i cant imagine him being less engaged on a daily basis than Kessel.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Even if he's not good in his own end i cant imagine him being less engaged on a daily basis than Kessel.

Why do people keep comparing Sprong to Kessel? Sprong has never really shown any willingness to pass the puck or set up linemates. We don't know exactly how creative the guy will be, or how effective as a playmaker because that's simply never been part of this game. So at this point, he's a pure trigger man who can carry the puck and get his own shot (so not just a James Neal), but he's also not Phil Kessel. How many times have we seen Phil dangle and buy time to hit a trailing Malkin in stride for a goal? If you try to replace Phil with Sprong right now, it makes Geno into the primary and probably only playmaker for his line, and also makes Letang the QB for the PP. I'm not comfortable with either of those changes right now.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

You're right about being a lefty, I wasn't thinking about that with my comparison. More about firing quick shots from the right circle. Take a look at the last 2 goals in the link below and compare to Sprong's quick shot.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Trotman is injured(day to day) now to go with Tinordi and Taylor.

The org is down 4 D? It's so Penguins.

Lauzon is hurt in juniors, iirc Prow and Sestito had minor injuries in the preseason, Hornqvist still hasn't played, Bengtsson has a chronic illness and Maatta is on thyroid medication. We're so winning the injured but still making the playoffs award again.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Why do people keep comparing Sprong to Kessel? Sprong has never really shown any willingness to pass the puck or set up linemates. We don't know exactly how creative the guy will be, or how effective as a playmaker because that's simply never been part of this game. So at this point, he's a pure trigger man who can carry the puck and get his own shot (so not just a James Neal), but he's also not Phil Kessel. How many times have we seen Phil dangle and buy time to hit a trailing Malkin in stride for a goal? If you try to replace Phil with Sprong right now, it makes Geno into the primary and probably only playmaker for his line, and also makes Letang the QB for the PP. I'm not comfortable with either of those changes right now.

The only thing i compared is their defense, if they are ok living with Kessel in his own end, IF Sprong can produce they in theory should be willing to live with Sprongs defensive liabilities. No matter where each plays.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Sprong has a special talent that you cannot teach and that is his goal scoring ability. I’d like to see him next to Sid and/or Geno before the season ends. A 59-87-41 line would be deadly.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Amazing there aren't more comments on Sprong's goal.... that is pure hot fire, reminds me of the Recch'n ball back in the day firing from the circle. I can't wait to see him in the top six this year~~~

Personally, I'm just conditioned to seeing Sprong score goals like that now. Junior, AHL, NHL...it doesn't matter. That's a world-class shot that's going to beat goalies at any level.

Reactions: Kip Drordy

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
The only thing i compared is their defense, if they are ok living with Kessel in his own end, IF Sprong can produce they in theory should be willing to live with Sprongs defensive liabilities. No matter where each plays.

Fair enough, they may well be comparable defensively, hopefully they're working on that in WBS.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
You're right about being a lefty, I wasn't thinking about that with my comparison. More about firing quick shots from the right circle. Take a look at the last 2 goals in the link below and compare to Sprong's quick shot.

Ya he used to shoot off his opposite foot and it fooled goalies all the time... someone else used to do that... Messier I think?

Sprong can dish the puck pretty well. Not exactly like Kessel, but he has good vision and will make some pretty impressive passes. He's good at supporting his linemates in that way up the ice. I've also seen him dance around with the puck and make some beautiful dishes though. He can most definitely do it.

Kessel is a playmaker with a sick snap shot that thinks pass first, while Sprong is a gunner with a full arsenal of shots that can pass well. What I love about Sprong is if he has a lane, he won't hesitate to shoot.

Hopefully Sprong sticks to his playing style in the NHL and shoots every chance he gets, because it will cause major issues for Pens opponents.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
All of our superstars (Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, and Letang) are a little too deferential and often guilty of passing up quality opportunities to make one extra dish. Active shooters like Guentzel and Schultz have already started forcing opponents to respect their shots by taking what they're given, and Sprong would only help there...especially considering his shot's more of a weapon than theirs.

Reactions: td_ice

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Let's be honest, Sprong is ready right now to play in the league. I think they are waiting for the trade with the 3C to dictate when and where he comes up and plays.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Unlike Kessel, Sprong actually tries defensively from what I've seen.

He backchecks pretty hard now, I don't think there is a question about that at all.

I think what Sullivan wants to see is him manage the puck better, but the thing is, he doesn't fall down 2-3 times a shift and spazz out with the puck like Sheary, who constantly loses it.

Some would say if Sprong isn't nearly as bad as Sheary with turning the puck over and his play in the defensive zone, he should be up just like Sheary.

Others may argue you can't have two guys like that on the same team, especially when you also have Kessel as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad