WBS Penguins thread | Pre-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If you could get Guentzel and Sundqvist up into the line up and have a Rust/Sheary and Kuhnhackl like impact, that would be tremendous for us.

Sheary-Sid-Rust
Guentzel-Malkin-Horny
Hags-Bones-Kessel
Kuhnhackl/Wilson-Cullen-Sundqvist

Make Kunitz and Fehr expendable. Bet you could get a 2nd and 3rd for them at the TDL. Or trade for a depth dman.

Watched last nights highlights, man Guenztel is good. His IQ is astonishingly high. His knack for scoring could work well with Malkin and Horny IMHO.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
If you could get Guentzel and Sundqvist up into the line up and have a Rust/Sheary and Kuhnhackl like impact, that would be tremendous for us.

Sheary-Sid-Rust
Guentzel-Malkin-Horny
Hags-Bones-Kessel

Make Kunitz and Fehr expendable. Bet you could get a 2nd and 3rd for them at the TDL. Or trade for a depth dman.

Watched last nights highlights, man Guenztel is good. His IQ is astonishingly high. His knack for scoring could work well with Malkin and Horny IMHO.

And he skates so hard he might work with Sid too. It's awesome that he's working out so well so far.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
He is simply not consistent enough. Was up for 5 games. Sure he got 4 points but scored 2 in one game and in two games he did not score at all, not even an assist.

Compare with how Kunitz nicely spreads out his points...and effort.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
He is simply not consistent enough. Was up for 5 games. Sure he got 4 points but scored 2 in one game and in two games he did not score at all, not even an assist.

Compare with how Kunitz nicely spreads out his points...and effort.

You actually had be going there for a second.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015

Sheary-Sid-Rust
Guentzel-Malkin-Horny
Hags-Bones-Kessel

Penguins will not sell on the deadline. Contenders do not trade away depth for picks. And I don't see how a package of those two would bring a depht defenseman back. They would probably only be included for salary reasons. The value would have to come from elsewhere (prospect or pick).

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Thread Title - Because JR refuses to make space.

I'd be happy to see Fehr & Kunitz jettisoned to whatever blackhole team that wants both. Canucks?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Penguins will not sell on the deadline. Contenders do not trade away depth for picks. And I don't see how a package of those two would bring a depht defenseman back. They would probably only be included for salary reasons. The value would have to come from elsewhere (prospect or pick).

They won't sell because they won't call up a kid like Guentzel for example and give him a shot for a little longer. Which is a little odd, I mean I was all for calling him up here and there but this team could use a bit of an injection of the skill that Guentzel has, in the line-up.

Or at the least, just remove Fehr from this team.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
He's still down for the same reason Pouliot was sent down - roster is full. Pouliot had to go down to open a spot to bring Jarry up.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
He's still down for the same reason Pouliot was sent down - roster is full. Pouliot had to go down to open a spot to bring Jarry up.

No, Pouliot is back down because he was terrible and in no way looked like an NHL player in his recent stint. He was easily outplayed by even Molesty and Ruhwdhehewatever

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I'm fine with Guentzel down right now. Let him come up playoff time and shock the league. 12 goals 10 assists during our cup run.

Write it down

SaturdayNightSlegr

Jan 2, 2009
Pittsburgh suburbs
I'm fine with Guentzel down right now. Let him come up playoff time and shock the league. 12 goals 10 assists during our cup run.

Write it down

Right on. Well maybe if those totals include Oskar Sundsqvist.

Rust, Kuhn, and Sheary were rookies last year and combined for 12 G 12 A in the cup run. And Guentzel/OS are more successful in the A is better than those guys. Offensive depth and the speed/talent of the WBS kids is what propelled the Pens to success (+ thePhil of course). Not the inept Suttertude and Gladams of Byslma days; where the Pens would be totally shut down if Crosby/Malkin failed.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Write it down

It seems that your argument is that teams will be "surprised" by Guentzel.

If that's the case, why do you think that's a better course of action than the more conventional idea of players earning icetime based on merit, learning one another's tendencies, and establishing chemistry before the playoffs?

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

Mattpilf

Jun 28, 2016

Pouliot was outplayed and Warsofsky was called up. Daley will probably move back to right wing, and Määttä, Cole and Warsofsky will be the left wings.

Pouliot was out played by all our Defensemen this year. Silver lining, maybe they're giving him some games in WBS so that they can have games during the break and be recalled and given a chance when he's found his legs.

Big issue for DP is it doesn't seem like he's developed any offensive game in years. Even his power play is very milk toast. Even when Schultz was run into the ground by Edmonton, he looked dynamic on the power play. Pouliot has never done that.

Guentzel is just the organization not ready to swap Kunitz with Geuntzel.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
It seems that your argument is that teams will be "surprised" by Guentzel.

If that's the case, why do you think that's a better course of action than the more conventional idea of players earning icetime based on merit, learning one another's tendencies, and establishing chemistry before the playoffs?

I don't. I think when "forced" to add scoring ...they will give Guentzel his chance. When things tighten up in the playoffs and goals are hard to come by...they will play him.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
How's Bengtsson getting on now? Does he look like a viable guy for next season in the NHL?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't. I think when "forced" to add scoring ...they will give Guentzel his chance. When things tighten up in the playoffs and goals are hard to come by...they will play him.

Surely you see why it's a mistake for the team to wait until the last possible minute to throw a rookie winger into the NHL playoffs cold rather than have him up all year to establish chemistry when he has clearly earned it by outplaying his competition.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Surely you see why it's a mistake for the team to wait until the last possible minute to throw a rookie winger into the NHL playoffs cold rather than have him up all year to establish chemistry when he has clearly earned it by outplaying his competition.

You're preaching to the already converted, man.
Its a numbers game now and short of JR dealing a forward, we just don't have the space. We don't even have the room to demote Kunitz and play Guentzel if JR wanted to.

So absent trading Koon (or Fehr) which we don't know if there's any sort of climate for, what is management to do exactly? And why is the current scenario a problem in December (or January)?

It's not like having WBS roll is a bad thing when the big team doesn't suffer. Injuries will likely shift to the forwards soon enough, and then he is the first guy up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad