WBS Penguins thread | Pre-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sprong actually likes to shoot and makes no bones about it, if he thinks he has a chance to score, he will try. Whereas we have so many wingers that feel like they NEED to pass it back to Sid & Geno and both would rather those players actually shot the puck in those situations.

It's why I am so hesitant to move Sprong, we literally have no other winger or forward prospect like him in the system at all. None. You can't move a kid like that no matter how desperate you are for a 3C. I hope he lights it up, gets called up and never looks back.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
He backchecks pretty hard now, I don't think there is a question about that at all.

I think what Sullivan wants to see is him manage the puck better, but the thing is, he doesn't fall down 2-3 times a shift and spazz out with the puck like Sheary, who constantly loses it.

Some would say if Sprong isn't nearly as bad as Sheary with turning the puck over and his play in the defensive zone, he should be up just like Sheary.

Others may argue you can't have two guys like that on the same team, especially when you also have Kessel as well.

I'd argue it's that they hope to make Sprong better in those regards than Kessel and Sheary.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
He backchecks pretty hard now, I don't think there is a question about that at all.

I think what Sullivan wants to see is him manage the puck better, but the thing is, he doesn't fall down 2-3 times a shift and spazz out with the puck like Sheary, who constantly loses it.

Some would say if Sprong isn't nearly as bad as Sheary with turning the puck over and his play in the defensive zone, he should be up just like Sheary.

Others may argue you can't have two guys like that on the same team, especially when you also have Kessel as well.

I say who cares about defense when you're scoring at will. And You could just trade Sheary for a decent C. Then call up Sprong.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Sprong actually likes to shoot and makes no bones about it, if he thinks he has a chance to score, he will try. Whereas we have so many wingers that feel like they NEED to pass it back to Sid & Geno and both would rather those players actually shot the puck in those situations.

It's why I am so hesitant to move Sprong, we literally have no other winger or forward prospect like him in the system at all. None. You can't move a kid like that no matter how desperate you are for a 3C. I hope he lights it up, gets called up and never looks back.

I don't think we have ANY prospect like Sprong. Apart from the goalies he's the only guy we have with any pedigree.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'd argue it's that they hope to make Sprong better in those regards than Kessel and Sheary.

I honestly don't think his defense and puck mgmt is going to get significantly better than where it is now. They could leave him down there for two years and I suspect we would see only an incremental difference.

He's more AO and Kessel than Hossa.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t have a major issue with Kessel’s D game. It’s not great but it gets the job done. It’s adequate. He’ll play the center’s role if he happens to be the F3 and he’s not adverse to making a simple play off the boards to get it out. Battles along the boards usually don’t go in his favor, though.

My issue is he’s scared shitless of contact, but if that’s what keeps him in the lineup 82 games a year, so be it.

It does seem like Sprong and Kessel on the same team is kind of overkill for somewhat one-dimensional RWs, though.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I honestly don't think his defense and puck mgmt is going to get significantly better than where it is now. They could leave him down there for two years and I suspect we would see only an incremental difference.

He's more AO and Kessel than Hossa.

I think we'll at least see some improvement in his puck management from where he was in the preseason. Defensively it'll probably be marginal gains at best but I bet they're still trying to do more in the AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad