AHL: WBS Penguins Thread: featuring Val Puus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

D'Orio struggling early.

Gruden with a good shift. I think he drew a penalty. No? Looked like a clear hiking penalty. Definite make up call now. No goal on this PP.

Wow this audio is brutal. Fix your shit AHLTV.

Pens taking it to CLT after a bad, slow start. Legare just fought someone but it was more of a wrastling match.

Robert the most noticeable to me that period. Shots are WBS 11 to CLT 6.

They "fixed" the audio but now have both teams' audio going at the same time...

To the PK. I don't know who is in charge of this feed but they're doing a terrible job. Screwed up the clock and audio both periods. Penalty killed.

Bad pinch by Riikola strands Lee on a 2 on 1. CLT scores. 2-0.

CLT has an arena challenge of "make a 15 foot long beer cup snake" and a later game in the season will be $1 beer night. Love it.

Back to the PP. Hopefully Riikola can make up for his bad pinch. Jeez he's got a cannon. Angello interferes and ends it. 4 on 4. Audio has been fixed? And now it's 3-0. Gruden was interfered with right before the goal. Quite angry WBS team.

Now there's no audio hahaha.

It took a few minutes but the WBS audio is back. Bjork was just tripped in the o-zone and they're off to the PP. Nada.

End of 2.

Lee showing off his skating and stick handling more today than perhaps his last few games combined.

4-0 now. And of course that was Lee's assignment who out muscled him.

I'm gonna put on music, read this book, and leave the game on the TV (without audio, as if that matters). Won't be updating much, if anything.

Last edited:

Paul Missthenette

Feb 16, 2022
how has POJ looked down there? haven't watched any games just read some articles and sounds like hes doing well. anyone wanna chime in and add some more detail on his progress this season?

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
how has POJ looked down there? haven't watched any games just read some articles and sounds like hes doing well. anyone wanna chime in and add some more detail on his progress this season?

I wrote this back in mid-December:

"Last year after he was sent back to the AHL he added some nastiness and more physicality to his game.

This year he still has it, but has been going about it smarter. He plays in all situations and I've yet to notice any glaring mistakes. Offensively, I've only seen him standout maybe a couple of games this season. But stats-wise he is clearly producing. I'd have liked to see WBS use him on the right side for the heck of it, but they've yet to do that.

Personally, I think he should be in the NHL this season rotating in. Get him some playing time, some practice with NHLers, and have him learn from the press box when he's scratched. But the team has a desire/need to only have LHD-RHD pairings. Plus their amount of players on an NHL contract.

I see his ceiling as a two-way middle d-man. And his floor as a complimentary bottom d-man. With "complimentary" just being a lesser skilled version of the two-way player. Kinda just existing without harming anything."

He's been more noticeable offensively recently. Defensive game about the same.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
WBS win in the SO. Looked good in the first two periods but then an early PP goal against in the 3rd ruined that momentum. Nappier hung on though. Then stoned all 3 shooters, which included Neal, and Nylander with many moves to juke the SPR goalie.

Not yet NHL Pens property but I am liking Nappier more than D'Orio. I forget what Lindberg looks like. But goalies are the current strength of the prospect pool.

Reactions: Gumbercules

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Looks like they’ll get DOC, Zohorna, and Friedman to help.

Stinks that the NHL prospects don’t have great numbers but WBS is last in goals per game in the whole league lmao. 117 in 46 games is putrid.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Looks like they’ll get DOC, Zohorna, and Friedman to help.

Stinks that the NHL prospects don’t have great numbers but WBS is last in goals per game in the whole league lmao. 117 in 46 games is putrid.

Looks like Friedman gets to play against LHV on Wed. We can find out if he pissed off the entire Flyers' minor league team too.

They've been consistently at the bottom in goals/game all season. They'd probably have a really comfortable lead if Nylander hadn't shown up.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I'm curious as to what the lineup will be tomorrow. What I'd like to see is:

DOC/Zohorna-Puustinen
Nylander-Poulin-Angello
Hallander-Chaput-Legare
Bellerive/Gruden/Robert
(or just mix and match the top 6ers as needed)

POJ-Fedun
Lee-Friedman
Riikola-Reilly

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I really feel they should be better than what the results are, maybe bias...but still, I don't think they are totally devoted of talent...were Scott Wilson and Tommy Kuh really better in 2016 than some of these guys? Sheary maybe? Rust was on a hot streak but still?

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I really feel they should be better than what the results are, maybe bias...but still, I don't think they are totally devoted of talent...were Scott Wilson and Tommy Kuh really better in 2016 than some of these guys? Sheary maybe? Rust was on a hot streak but still?

I think it's completely fair to be let down.

I realize this team hasn't had many bingo balls in the good rounds in recent years but everything said about the talent they were SUPPOSED to have seemed like there was a better team down there than whatever this is. The Penguins have a rep for pretty good reason for talent evaluation and development. Along with plucking great UDFAs. So you have to wonder a bit.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I think it's completely fair to be let down.

I realize this team hasn't had many bingo balls in the good rounds in recent years but everything said about the talent they were SUPPOSED to have seemed like there was a better team down there than whatever this is. The Penguins have a rep for pretty good reason for talent evaluation and development. Along with plucking great UDFAs. So you have to wonder a bit.

Pretty sure those college UDFAs have been picking the Pens because our GMs have been throwing as much bonus money possible at them. Check them out on CapFriendly.

That'd be more fun to watch than the big club.

Yes, which is why I plan on watching.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't get what the deal with Maniscalco is, he's gotten all of 10 games at the AHL level, Friedman and Reilly are the only 2 that are "prospects" on the right side then journeyman Fedun. They healthy scratched the shit out of him last year and played up some moronic competitive angle.

Josh seems to be producing well in Wheeling, but 10 games (8 and then 2 this year) is pretty f***ing weird. He got the Sully treatment from JD last year, the competitive bullshit he's spinning doesn't jive with me. Just because he has a hard on for veterans like our HC, they're going to waste this lad.

Reactions: Victor Z

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Oye, Nubbers - I will watch this game but I don't know if this is where we do the GDT for this?

I rarely post during the games, but at this stage, this will be the only way I can see Pens prospects get a chance.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yes, this is where us true fans post during the WBS games.
I peruse the page when I watch, but the 1990's video feed usually requires more attention.

Edit: I guess I won't be seeing this game, the wife has made plans to get Turbo's bung hole sorted and then meet with mates for drinks and dinner.

I'd honestly rather watch the Puus get loose.

Last edited:

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

Scott Wilson in the AHL this year has more points than anyone on WBS. FWIW.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Scott Wilson in the AHL this year has more points than anyone on WBS. FWIW.
Mate, he's a soon to be 30yr old AHL'er that has 1 entire point more than a rookie in WBS named Valtteri Puustinen. Lind & Hutsko are the leaders on that team with Wilson 3rd, Puustinen is our #1, I mean...

He couldn't even stay as a regular in Buffalo where Mark Jankowski has some how found work.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Mate, he's a soon to be 30yr old AHL'er that has 1 entire point more than a rookie in WBS named Valtteri Puustinen. Lind & Hutsko are the leaders on that team with Wilson 3rd, Puustinen is our #1, I mean...

He couldn't even stay as a regular in Buffalo where Mark Jankowski has some how found work.

I think you miss my point. I'm not praising Scott Wilson (although I admit I had high hopes for him back in the day). After someone mentioned his name, I merely pointed out that none of our top prospects are outscoring him, and that's probably not a good reflection on our top prospects.

Reactions: ChaosAgent
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad