AHL: WBS Penguins Thread: featuring Val Puus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Nylander is seemingly one of the few WBS forwards who doesn't PK. But I've not seen him with lazy or stupid defensive plays. That's not to say that he couldn't get stronger or better, but he's fine.

NHL-wise, I think he could be part of a more skilled third line (aka, not a shut down line). Yeah, like what @Jacob said.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Parker Kelly, who was a scratch in Ottawa against the Pens last night, puts Belleville up 1-0 nearly halfway through the first period. The Sens broadcast said that Kelly was in Lehigh Valley for their game on Tuesday, didn't play because he was hastily recalled to the NHL, drove all the way to Ottawa, didn't play there either, then drove to Wilkes-Barre today. I hope he gets paid by the mile.

There are a few Penguin connections on this Belleville team: ex-farmhand Jake Lucchini, asst. coach Ben Sexton, forward Andrew Agozzino and of course Filip Gustavsson in the net.

A desultory first period for WBS ends 1-0 as the Pens were outshot 15-5 and never generated anything resembling a scoring chance unless I blinked and missed it. They're lucky to be only down by 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
End of the first. Shots: 15 to 5, BEL with the advantage.

POJ the only one standing out to me. That's in a good way, by the way. Nappier holding the fort clearly. Some of his movement looked stiff.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
They are a one line team, just keep Nylander - Robert - Puustinen together. Maybe slide Poulin in at center here or there.

Maybe you know why Nylander was dropped, @Randy Butternubs ?

It's not really a demotion or anything like that. Probably just trying out new combos. edit: went back a few games and he's seemingly been on the L2 all those games.

Without the AHL keeping ice times it's hard to say if one line is relied on more than any others. If I had to guess I think L1 and L2 are near identical in TOI. And then L3 gets a few more minutes (3?) than L4.

Nylander was robbed on the PP off a nice pass from Angello. But soon after he sets up Puus to make it 2-1.

Pens lost. Poor Nappier. 31 saves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

Hallander out with a non COVID illness.

Will Reilly in, yesssssssss.

Nappier getting some luck today and yesterday. Had a few posts save him yesterday. And the first shot from LHV hit the post.

Puus found Houde off a broken play for a 1timer that the goalie got a part of a shoulder on.

Angello crushed someone.

LHV with a bad turnover to Legare who gets a breakaway. Got stoned trying to go 5hole.

Can't say I've really noticed Poulin today or yesterday but he did just have a nice scoring chance. Absolutely looks better at center but has gone a bit dry.

End of 1. Pens have 13 shots, LHV 4.

Big ole juicy rebound off a shot from Bellerive and Fedun buried it. 1-0. And then Legare scores. Nice play by him. 2-0. Goals on their first two shots.

WBS just taking it to LHV. Puus stopped on a 2 on 1 where he elected to shoot vs pass to Robert.

Nappier robbed someone point blank.

Reilly got physical and basically bullied someone to the ice. No penalty.

Fedun crushed. Which eventually leads to a LHV goal on their 11th shot. 2-1. A COR goal.

Game nearly tied thanks to ex Pen Wilson. Not Scott. Or Landon. I forget his first name. But he missed a glorious opportunity.

Wow. LHV Hodgson with some slick mits but just missed the net or hit the crossbar.

The WBS announcer throwing shade at the OSU football coach. Lol. Cc @ColePens

End of 2. Shots are 26 Pens to the LHV 12.

Last edited:
Reactions: FreeBobbyFarnham

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
POJ with a sick fake and then a f***ing sicker goal. I'm making that a gif tomorrow. 3-1.

Poulin setup Angello for a mostly empty net but I guess it hit a body? Should be 4-1 but clearly isn't.

And then GARRETT Wilson charges or boards Reilly for the first penalty of the game.

Nothing on that PP.

And on the LHV 16th shot it goes in. Lots of traffic and maybe two deflections. 3-2.

It takes me way longer to type on this phone than with a keyboard. WBS have been weathering a storm.

End. But fights and scrums. Pens had 35 shots while LHV had 22. I'm quite happy for Nappier. Dude has good size. I don't know much about goalies but I think he needs to work on his lateral movement.

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Apparently making gifs only works on this computer of mine?:

4uRJUmS.gif

LHV #42 got juked. And then another LHV player added to the effect by wiping out.

Reactions: Extra Texture

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Bad, then scratched, then good, and now average.
Maybe Sleepy should sit him in the press box with Puus to watch Simon and ZAR play live, learn how to play the game the right way.

To all those what had Poulin penciled in the top 9 heading into last season, when do you expect him to be ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad