AHL: WBS Penguins Thread: featuring Val Puus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
OK. But who are you counting as the defensemen in Pittsburgh this year?

Dumoulin-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Pettersson-Ruhwedel
Friedman

Given that they have a lot more forwards where waiving them and potentially losing them bites, I think it's that 7 with no 8th dman for the time being. Even if there is an 8th, I don't think it'll be POJ to surf pine, he'll be playing whereever he is (or better be) and that's not a thing in Pittsburgh without injuries or someone switching sides (I would not be terribly surprised if we see POJ switch sides for a few games in WBS to test that possibility out).

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Dumoulin-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Pettersson-Ruhwedel
Friedman

Given that they have a lot more forwards where waiving them and potentially losing them bites, I think it's that 7 with no 8th dman for the time being. Even if there is an 8th, I don't think it'll be POJ to surf pine, he'll be playing whereever he is (or better be) and that's not a thing in Pittsburgh without injuries or someone switching sides (I would not be terribly surprised if we see POJ switch sides for a few games in WBS to test that possibility out).

we really need another RD because Friedman apparently likes and is better at LD and Ruh is not an every day top six D man…this is where I’d really like Reilly to make a push for a spot…he’s 24 now and while he doesn’t have much offensive upside, he should be playing solid enough D at this point to challenge Friedman and Ruh for that sixth spot…

Reactions: Victor Z

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
we really need another RD because Friedman apparently likes and is better at LD and Ruh is not an every day top six D man…this is where I’d really like Reilly to make a push for a spot…he’s 24 now and while he doesn’t have much offensive upside, he should be playing solid enough D at this point to challenge Friedman and Ruh for that sixth spot…

I am okay with Ruh as 6D for the regular season - he'll be better than some around - and I wouldn't discount Friedman either. That said there's definitely a gap there and if Reilly's good, he could make a push.

Or he could see it filled by someone like Erik Gudbranson before the start of the regular season.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
I can't see anyone of his stature forfeiting a million for nothing.

I mean I agree, but it wouldn't be for nothing. He's still a professional athlete and professional athletes want to play. If he can get a decent financial deal back in Finland then he could do it. He'd still be going home with 1 million US dollars.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I mean I agree, but it wouldn't be for nothing. He's still a professional athlete and professional athletes want to play. If he can get a decent financial deal back in Finland then he could do it. He'd still be going home with 1 million US dollars.

I don't think he'll have a problem getting a gig in Finland after this, tbh.

Riikola just frustrates me because I like his skillset and think he could actually do really well on the 3rd pairing if given some time to actually play through the invariable hiccups a 1 million AAV 3rd pairing guy will have. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but he also plays both sides too, no?

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh

Riikola just frustrates me because I like his skillset and think he could actually do really well on the 3rd pairing if given some time to actually play through the invariable hiccups a 1 million AAV 3rd pairing guy will have. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but he also plays both sides too, no?

I believe he can play both sides, but his tenure with the Pens is definitely frustrating. I think he's capable of playing a role on third pairing. Granted, he wasn't really needed last year with Ceci playing as good as he did, but this year? We have Friedman, Ruh and Riikola that could potentially fill that spot and we know which one Sully is comfortable with, which one GMRH likes and which one Sully wants to banish to the Shadow Realm.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

At least a little.

Dude's been very unlucky in timing of his opportunities here as much as anything and I hope some team around the NHL offers one; I wouldn't be that surprised if Guerin or someone claimed him on waivers, or offered a cheaper minor leaguer for him halfway through the season; which is a hope that's worth him being a good soldier for imo.

I believe he can play both sides, but his tenure with the Pens is definitely frustrating. I think he's capable of playing a role on third pairing. Granted, he wasn't really needed last year with Ceci playing as good as he did, but this year? We have Friedman, Ruh and Riikola that could potentially fill that spot and we know which one Sully is comfortable with, which one GMRH likes and which one Sully wants to banish to the Shadow Realm.

If Sully wants to banish him to the shadow realm, why did the org ever bring him back to a LD logjam for a million plus and why did he agree to it (other than maybe the million plus...)?

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

It'd take Riikola 5+ years playing 20+ minutes a night in Finland to make what he's set to earn by not playing while living out his dream of being in the NHL. It's not a high-paying league which makes sense given that most of those arenas and markets are closer to ECHL standards than even AHL.

He's good enough to play in this league too...

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
It'd take Riikola 5+ years playing 20+ minutes a night in Finland to make what he's set to earn by not playing while living out his dream of being in the NHL. It's not a high-paying league which makes sense given that most of those arenas and markets are closer to ECHL standards than even AHL.

He's good enough to play in this league too...

I understand this. But like I mentioned, he's a professional athlete and I'm sure he wants to play. IF he's not claimed or traded or playing with the Penguins, he may just say screw it and go back home. People are so quick to not mention the psychological side of all of this and just focus on the monetary aspect of it. He may be happy with going home and making less money if that means actually playing hockey rather than sitting 95% of the year.

It's a moot point though since we don't know what the plan for Riikola is yet. I was just outlining one potential scenario that he could take. IMO, just trade him if your plan is to waive him or sit him in the press box. He's definitely capable of being an NHL defenseman.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I understand this. But like I mentioned, he's a professional athlete and I'm sure he wants to play. IF he's not claimed or traded or playing with the Penguins, he may just say screw it and go back home. People are so quick to not mention the psychological side of all of this and just focus on the monetary aspect of it. He may be happy with going home and making less money if that means actually playing hockey rather than sitting 95% of the year.

It's a moot point though since we don't know what the plan for Riikola is yet. I was just outlining one potential scenario that he could take. IMO, just trade him if your plan is to waive him or sit him in the press box. He's definitely capable of being an NHL defenseman.

I'm guessing if there was a trade market for the guy who's the org's 5th/6th choice LD with a cap hit that's a little larger than can be completely buried, he'd be gone already :dunno: The press box is almost definitely not a plan as the org can't actually afford to have him on a 23 man roster unless they waive someone like Rodrigues or Heinen, according to Capfriendly. Everything about the situation screams AHL to me, where at least he plays, and if someone claims him off of waivers good luck to the kid.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Hopefully he can find as big a chip for his shoulder every game as the one he wore against his old team. Because he was a demon that game.

He's was pretty solid every game he played IMO. I'm hoping they don't bring in a RD to block him out because I think he could be very good for us.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd be cool with Friedman getting a shot. Intriguing player.

But iirc, and admittedly at this point I'm going more off Kingerski than my memory so large pinch of salt, but hasn't Hextall been a bit non-committal about the idea that 3RD is already on the roster?

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
So I was just doodling this morning and have roughly this line-up for WBS:

Legare-Chaput-Poulin
Puustinen-Hallander-Simon
Almeida-Bellerive-Bjorkqvist
DOC-Gruden-Angello
Robert-Drozg

Merisier-Ortiz-Almari
Reilly-Maniscalco
Lee-Bigras
Fedun

Lindberg
D'Orio
Napier

Am I missing anybody?

I'll be very surprised if Fedun is the 7th defenseman in WB/S, considering he has 127 games of NHL experience under his belt, and produces pretty well for a defenseman at the AHL level.

The Pens kept Maniscalco on the taxi squad almost the entirety of last season, because they weren't ever playing him in the AHL. I have a hard time thinking a guy that played in a grand total of 8 games in the AHL is going to get on the second pairing. He's more likely to get sent to Wheeling than to play on the second pairing in Wilkes-Barre.

If there aren't any more defensemen moved off the NHL roster, I'd expect the top pair to be Joseph - Fedun, until the inevitable injuries hit, anyway.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think even as a #7 Friedman will get a good shot. A #7 on this team will probably still play in a majority of the games.

Missed we signed Bigras.

Last edited:

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I'd be cool with Friedman getting a shot. Intriguing player.

But iirc, and admittedly at this point I'm going more off Kingerski than my memory so large pinch of salt, but hasn't Hextall been a bit non-committal about the idea that 3RD is already on the roster?

not saying you’re incorrect but I feel like Hextall’s noncommittal about Crosby being in the lineup

Reactions: Peat

Solution

May 20, 2010
Cheswick, PA
I'll be very surprised if Fedun is the 7th defenseman in WB/S, considering he has 127 games of NHL experience under his belt, and produces pretty well for a defenseman at the AHL level.

The Pens kept Maniscalco on the taxi squad almost the entirety of last season, because they weren't ever playing him in the AHL. I have a hard time thinking a guy that played in a grand total of 8 games in the AHL is going to get on the second pairing. He's more likely to get sent to Wheeling than to play on the second pairing in Wilkes-Barre.

If there aren't any more defensemen moved off the NHL roster, I'd expect the top pair to be Joseph - Fedun, until the inevitable injuries hit, anyway.
I had not really set a top line or pairing. Not smart enough to know how they would do it. No feel for Forrest yet.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Is Almari for sure coming back over?

I don't think I've seen a "yes this is definitely happening" press release but there was an interview with Scott Young talking about what he was expecting from prospects next year and he was talking about Almari in WBS, so I'd say it's a 99.9% thing.

Reactions: Jacob

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
There's really only 1 player I really want to see come over (now that Kasper is definitely coming back, woo!) and that's Valtteri Puustinen.

I mean I still really like Legare and Poulin, but Puustinen is such an interesting prospect with his production over seas making you wonder just how well he can translate that over here.

I always laugh at the Pesonen "problem" blogs/etc write about Puustinen. I mean yeah, if you give Valtteri only 4th line minutes and only 7 games sure, but Janne wasn't a joke, he still holds the WBS single season points record at 82. Janne got Pre-Sully'd by Bylsma. I would hope Valtteri would come over and just murder the stats and earn a call up and is used like a top 9 forward he would be properly utilized at and not shafted to the 4th line.

I guess at least Jankowski isn't here.

Edit: Also Janne was what, 26-27yrs old when he came over? Valtteri is still just 22 and Janne pales in comparison to Puustinen's potential and what he's done already.

Last edited:
Reactions: steelcityassault

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
There's really only 1 player I really want to see come over (now that Kasper is definitely coming back, woo!) and that's Valtteri Puustinen.
Scott Young: "We're looking forward to getting him over and in getting him adjusted, again, from that big sheet over to the North American style."

Is Almari for sure coming back over?
Young: "Yeah, he'll be back in Wilkes. He would have been here last year if it was a normal year. But it was just strictly COVID. We had to get these guys playing, we wanted to make sure that they were playing as much as they could. And with all the questions over here, we decided to keep them over there. And he will be back."

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Riikola has been far better than blokes here can remember, the eye test and his analytics back it up, which is why I am baffled as to why he continues to get shafted by this staff. I think if the Pens waive him (I hope they do, free the lad, he deserves a better shot), he'd probably let out the biggest sigh of relief in this organization. I think he would do well on a team that will actually use him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad