WBS Penguins Thread 2014-15: Barry Goers Appreciation Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Even if everything goes right Murray's still a few years away. Another year in the AHL with more starts, then a year or two as Fleury's backup. Which would be right around the time Fleury's contract (and possibly career) is winding down.

And that's assuming he doesn't hit any snag in terms of injury or slump in his performance.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Even if everything goes right Murray's still a few years away. Another year in the AHL with more starts, then a year or two as Fleury's backup. Which would be right around the time Fleury's contract (and possibly career) is winding down.

And that's assuming he doesn't hit any snag in terms of injury or slump in his performance.
While I never insist on rushing a prospect, if he keeps this play up into the first half of next season or even into the second half...he deserves at least a call up. And if he's lights out here, then you have to start asking questions. Those are a lot of ifs but I don't see them being out of the realm of possibility. At maximum, I see him being the backup for one season. If Murray develops and plays well, why wouldn't we try to recoup SOME assets from Fleury instead of riding him out until he's either a FA or retired?

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
While I never insist on rushing a prospect, if he keeps this play up into the first half of next season or even into the second half...he deserves at least a call up. And if he's lights out here, then you have to start asking questions. Those are a lot of ifs but I don't see them being out of the realm of possibility. At maximum, I see him being the backup for one season. If Murray develops and plays well, why wouldn't we try to recoup SOME assets from Fleury instead of riding him out until he's either a FA or retired?

Because Penguins management...

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
I'm with Jacob. You don't want to rush a goalie prospect. I'd say 2 years is the absolute earliest he would be ready.

2 years for a goalie performing this well? You don't slow play this kid just because of Fleury. Fleury would have a ton of value to a lot of teams. Now you would have to be sure of Murray first but you're never going to develop him playing in a league he's already above.

Valarukar

Jul 20, 2011
Pittsburgh
2 years for a goalie performing this well? You don't slow play this kid just because of Fleury. Fleury would have a ton of value to a lot of teams. Now you would have to be sure of Murray first but you're never going to develop him playing in a league he's already above.

39 games and he's above the league? I'm excited about the kid too, but I'm not willing to count my chickens before they've hatched when it comes to the goalie position.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
He averages a shutout every three starts. Nobody can keep that up.

He's going to drop off some, the only question is how much. That's when you'll find out what you have with Murray.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Penguins have absolutely zero reason to rush Matt Murry or Jarry. I'd like to see Murray in the AHL for at least 2 full seasons, if he repeats that the second year (well, something close to that kind of magic), the 3rd year, he has to earn call-ups if he doesn't earn a 1B job out of camp.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He needs to prove he can have success in the AHL playoffs, and be successful with a heavier workload (50+ starts). I'm not expecting him to have a .940 save percentage every year, of course. But 39 regular season games isn't nearly enough to promote him to the NHL. Even elite goalies like Rask and Quick spent several seasons in the AHL.

Let's keep in mind Hynes is a hell of a coach and even guys like Thiessen & Zatkoff had great numbers with him behind the bench.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
He needs to prove he can have success in the AHL playoffs, and be successful with a heavier workload (50+ starts). I'm not expecting him to have a .940 save percentage every year, of course. But 39 regular season games isn't nearly enough to promote him to the NHL. Even elite goalies like Rask and Quick spent several seasons in the AHL.

Let's keep in mind Hynes is a hell of a coach and even guys like Thiessen & Zatkoff had great numbers with him behind the bench.

They never had a rookie season like this kid so that comparison isn't valid. However, I agree that rushing him isn't a smart move. Let him play at least another full season in the A if only to keep him sharp and not sitting on a bench wasting valuable experience and playing time. Goalies develop much like defensemen in that it takes awhile for them to perfect their craft and they need playing time to do that. If Murray backed up Fleury we all know he would get 20-25 starts maximum. Penguin management isn't about to unseat Fleury any time soon.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

Murray's development won't suffer from another couple years in the A. I'm really looking forward to seeing how he does in the playoffs this year. Zatkoff has epically failed there, but IIRC, Theissen was OK in that setting. I think I saw that Thiessen was just signed by Calgary?

Penguins being the Penguins, Murray'll have two more years of stellar performance in the A, will be ready to blossom at the NHL level, and the Pens will extend MAF another four years. Murray will then go on to star for the burgeoning McDavid-led Sabres dynasty.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I agree with the guys saying if he's (anywhere near) this good next season with the lone starter position in the AHL, he earns a late call-up and then he's earned the right to compete for an NHL spot. There's no need to rush the guy with Fleury playing like an above average NHL goalie every game.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If he starts the season hot, he should be called up for a game if there is an injury or a lot of games during a heavy week for the Penguins.

Seems ok to do that, at least.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
This is from a few days ago ...

So, can someone please explain how this works for me? Is this just so he can play for the Baby Pens now? Can he play for them now? We just drafted him ... is this a precursor to actually signing him? He projects to be a third liner, so maybe not such a huge deal. I'm just wondering what this means now and how it may impact on any future signings/usage. Thanks, guys!

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
So, can someone please explain how this works for me? Is this just so he can play for the Baby Pens now? Can he play for them now? We just drafted him ... is this a precursor to actually signing him? He projects to be a third liner, so maybe not such a huge deal. I'm just wondering what this means now and how it may impact on any future signings/usage. Thanks, guys!

Pretty standard procedure -- he'll practice with the team and only get in the lineup if there are a rash of injuries. It means they've still got their eye on him, and nothing more. He's going back to juniors next year 100%.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Pretty standard procedure -- he'll practice with the team and only get in the lineup if there are a rash of injuries. It means they've still got their eye on him, and nothing more. He's going back to juniors next year 100%.

Thanks!

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
WBS nearly blew it in the final minutes but hung on to beat Norfolk, 5-4. Jayson Megna recorded his first AHL hat trick to give him 25 goals on the year. He had only 14 goals in his first two seasons combined.

With one meaningless game left Wilkes-Barre are locked into 4th in the East and will play Syracuse (Tampa's farm team) in Round 1. Baby Pens went 1-2-1 in the extremely even regular season meetings: all games were decided by 1 goal, and two required overtime.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Did Kapanen sit this game? I started watching the first period, but switched to the Pens game after. I didn't notice him at all. Is he hurt?

As for Megna, I still have hopes for him to be a nice cheap bottom-6 contributor as early as next season. He's fast, has good hands, and can score goals. He might have problems dealing with being on a top-6 line over the long haul in the NHL, but I think he can at least play a good dump and chase style of grinding role with some skill sprinkled in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad