WBS Penguins Thread 2014-15: Barry Goers Appreciation Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Since stuff tends to get lost in the shuffle and not all of these guys are prospects, I figured I'd get one of these going again.

The Pens won their second game in a row, beating St. John's again, this time by a score of 4-1.

Goals by Wilson, Drazenovic, Rust and Torquato.

Some annoying music, but hey highlights are highlights. I think St. John's is trying to cover up the fact that their play by play guy sounds like a 1920's gangster.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
They didn't show Wilson's goal on the highlights -- did anyone see it? If so, was it a particularly good goal?

Also, good to see that Wilson picked up an assist on the empty netter in the 3rd showing that, already as a rookie, he's got the coach's confidence in his two-way play to have him out there protecting a lead. He's a guy I'm particularly impressed by and have high hopes for, so these are encouraging signs.

Some other notes:

- sweet assist by Megna on that first goal (the kind of pure skill we want to see from him), -- great play by Kuhnhackl to go hard to the net on Rust's goal. That's what Kuhn needs to do -- use his skill and use his size, and really get involved in general -- to get to where he should be.
- Rust continues to produce. Went hard to the net to bang home Kuhn's rebound, and had a nice spin-o-rama pass in those highlights. I have to admit, I've never been impressed with him before this season when I've seen him play, but he's probably been the baby Pens most consistent forward from the pre-season on. If he continues to produce like he has, well, you know what they say: they don't ask how....

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
OK, 2 things...

1. Who is Torquato?

Zack Torquato, former Wings draft pick.

He's on a minor league deal with Wheeling, he saw a little bit of hype around HF the year after he was drafted because he put up good numbers. People thought he was going to be steal for Detroit, but he never did much as a pro.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
They didn't show Wilson's goal on the highlights -- did anyone see it? If so, was it a particularly good goal?

Also, good to see that Wilson picked up an assist on the empty netter in the 3rd showing that, already as a rookie, he's got the coach's confidence in his two-way play to have him out there protecting a lead. He's a guy I'm particularly impressed by and have high hopes for, so these are encouraging signs.

Some other notes:

- sweet assist by Megna on that first goal (the kind of pure skill we want to see from him), -- great play by Kuhnhackl to go hard to the net on Rust's goal. That's what Kuhn needs to do -- use his skill and use his size, and really get involved in general -- to get to where he should be.
- Rust continues to produce. Went hard to the net to bang home Kuhn's rebound, and had a nice spin-o-rama pass in those highlights. I have to admit, I've never been impressed with him before this season when I've seen him play, but he's probably been the baby Pens most consistent forward from the pre-season on. If he continues to produce like he has, well, you know what they say: they don't ask how....

Wilson's goal is right at the start of the video.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
I noticed Dominik Uher already fought twice in four games, and he did pretty well too. He averaged only 4.5 fights over his first two AHL seasons. Would be nice if he added some fighting skill to his game. Also it's funny how he's a 3rd year pro but younger than some of the rookies on the team.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Good thread Zen, thanks for making it. Great thread title too.

I had to give a shout out to your favorite player.

Uher fighting more would be nice, he's not a bad fighter and it fits his style of play. Although, it seems that someone from the Pens is required to fight J.C. Lipon every time they play the Ice Caps.

Speaking of fights, Farnham has already won one. Look out, heavyweights.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Jesus, Uher could've had 3 goals in that clip.

He's pesky and has decent hands but fighting more and scoring more is a must in order for him to become an NHLer.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I had to give a shout out to your favorite player.

Uher fighting more would be nice, he's not a bad fighter and it fits his style of play. Although, it seems that someone from the Pens is required to fight J.C. Lipon every time they play the Ice Caps.

Speaking of fights, Farnham has already won one. Look out, heavyweights.

Haha.....nice.

Have you watched any games yet?

I have access but haven't watched more than a few minutes here and there. I just can't take the crappy streams anymore. They make it hard to watch a game. But I am sure at some point I will get back into it. If you are watching a game at some point (goes for anyone) post in this thread in real time. I probably will start watching at that point, as it is much nicer having someone else watching the same game with you. But of course it is tough when so many of the games coincide with the big clubs' game.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Bombulie's great. Maybe it's easier to seem like a competent reporter covering a minor league team vs. majors, but he makes me wish he could replace Rossi/Yohe. He doesn't profess to know more about the game than those actually in it, and his opinion is generally grounded in reality. I check his blog daily.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Haha.....nice.

Have you watched any games yet?

I have access but haven't watched more than a few minutes here and there. I just can't take the crappy streams anymore. They make it hard to watch a game. But I am sure at some point I will get back into it. If you are watching a game at some point (goes for anyone) post in this thread in real time. I probably will start watching at that point, as it is much nicer having someone else watching the same game with you. But of course it is tough when so many of the games coincide with the big clubs' game.

I haven't caught any yet, but my schedule should let me watch a lot more games this year.

And yeah Jacob, I'd say Bombulie is the best writer associated with the organization. He just calls it like is, he points out positives without sounding like a cheerleader and he can point out flaws without sounding bitter or cynical.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Thanks for making the thread, Zen. I was worried it might be overlooked this year.

I'm gonna get the new third with Barry Goers' name and number.

I mean Pittsburgh's new third.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Wilson's goal is right at the start of the video.

Thanks for pointing that out, so I could watch the video again and see what I somehow missed before. And I'm glad I did -- sweet f***ing goal by Wilson. As I've said, I'm very impressed by Wilson and have high hopes for him.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I like Bombulie because he actually watches the games and pays attention and isn't a massive homer or a biased tool when he talks about it like Yohe/Rossi/etc. I always enjoy reading his take on the prospects and the game recap.

Good stuff.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Bombulie's great. Maybe it's easier to seem like a competent reporter covering a minor league team vs. majors, but he makes me wish he could replace Rossi/Yohe. He doesn't profess to know more about the game than those actually in it, and his opinion is generally grounded in reality. I check his blog daily.

Yes, please. He is just really good.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That Wilson goal was sick and yeah Uher looked like he could have had like 3-4 goals, I like his positioning, speed, and tenacity, he'll make a damn good bottom 6'er if he can be that good consistently. Also, nice drive by Kuhnhackl which allowed Rust to tap in a garbage goal, liked what I saw with both for that clip.

I also liked what I saw in the clips of how the team just turns the puck and moves to the offensive zone instantly, they move as a unit and it's so nice to see.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
I like Bombulie because he actually watches the games and pays attention and isn't a massive homer or a biased tool when he talks about it like Yohe/Rossi/etc. I always enjoy reading his take on the prospects and the game recap.

Good stuff.

i like how he sees something in a game that sticks out to him, asks players/coaches about it, and lets you know why it was/wasnt actually a big deal. seems like a pretty effective formula.

ETA

Aug 8, 2008
Zatkoff looking like he could be a good backup for Greiss... :naughty:

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Didn't know he was playing.

Going to check it out now.

Thanks for posting that.

Status
Not open for further replies.