WBS Penguins 2015-16 season discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Very lucky, but good to see Kap driving the net. Has anyone been watching the games? Has he been more involved during play this go around?

He's been fairly involved, he's made some nice plays with Megna and Archibald/Kuhnhackl. Rust will probably take Archibald's spot on that line when he gets back. He had really nice look on the power play off of a nice pass by Goers of all people, got a hard wrister on net that Gudlevskis struggled with, Dea had the rebound and a wide open net but he fanned on it. He made a nice saucer pass to Parent who was pinching in, but the shot got blocked.

As a whole, Syracuse seems to be having a hard time dealing with WBS' speed. Their defense is big, but not particularly mobile. WBS is forechecking hard and causing their breakout to fail. In a familiar story, the Crunch are frustrated that their plays aren't working, so they're trying too hard to assert themselves physically and taking stupid penalties in the process. They gave WBS 7 power plays, and 3 of them were the result of offensive zone penalties, one of the other ones was Koekkoek running over Archibald 30 feet from the puck in the neutral zone. They pulled Gudlevskis for an offensive zone faceoff with a little over 4 minutes left and Dalton Smith promptly made a beeline for the net and knocked over Murray to kill any tiny chance of a comeback they might've had.

There was also an ongoing battle between Mike Angelidis (their captain) and Farnham. I'm not sure what Farnham did or said to him, but Angelidis was going absolutely ballistic going after him, especially late in the game.

p.s. turn on closed captions for the highlight video. "Ronda Rowdy." "Ashton goes for the Rabbi"

Last edited:

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Looks like Sundqvist is on his way over. Great news!!

CDf0dgJW0AAKTK2.jpg

Awesome. Hope he makes as big an impact as we think he might.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
who's that rowney character?

Carter Rowney, undrafted former college (North Dakota) forward. Some years ago the Penguins invited him to a prospect camp. He was brought back for some more camps and eventually got a contract with WBS. Worked his way up from being a Wheeling call-up to centering the 3rd line with Kühnhackl and Uher on the wings. Good size and two-way play. I don't think he has NHL upside as he's almost 26 already but that line has been great down the stretch and now into the playoffs.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Forgot about Rust & Drazenovic. Great to see Sundqvist coming over too. The team is stacked.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
We are officially the 2010 capitals, bragging about our amazing ahl team. :)
The difference is that the Bears are privately owned and end up signing a lot of career AHLers to win, the baby Pens are heavily laden with prospects.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
The difference is that the Bears are privately owned and end up signing a lot of career AHLers to win, the baby Pens are heavily laden with prospects.

Kostopolous and Ebbett are good AHLers but they're not Alexandre Giroux and Keith Aucoin.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Listening to a reasonable and somewhat insightfull Rossi interview on the Fan'site Kyngerski show...

Feel like I am in the Twilight Zone.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
So what do the lines & pairs look like if they get to 100% health?

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
So what do the lines & pairs look like if they get to 100% health?

Through much of the season the top 4 D pairs were Chorney-Dumoulin and Pouliot-Harrington.

Hard to predict lines with KK & Sundqvist being added to an already affective forward line-up.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
maybe it's just the uniforms, but Megna looks thicker to me

I noticed the same thing. He's really picked up his all-around game this year at WBS, and was a I believe 12th in the League in goal scoring.

Hoping he can be one of our solutions in the bottom 6 next year.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Watching the Wild-Blues game, I realized that WBS has had some pretty damn good coaches come through there.

Hynes, Bylsma, Richards, Yeo, Therrien.

Edit - Reirden too, but idk if he counts :laugh:

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Nice goal by KK, looked like garbled **** mixed with grace! (yeah i dunno how to describe it...). Made me lol for whatever reason.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
That Rowney re-direct is one play that we've never really used on the PP that we really should. Good way to make up for all the lefties (that we've now removed haha).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad