Confirmed with Link: WBS: D. Warsofsky ($600k), K. Mouillierat, K. Porter, S. Oleksy, W. O'Neill ($575k)

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Olesky got beat up by Asham a few years back... awesome

I know he didn't, but I don't care. I don't know much about him so I am simply going to make things up.

Olesky once Cheap shot Sid and threatened the Pens Bench.

You laugh, but he's been one of the biggest villains in the AHL for years. WBS fans are going to take a while to get used to this. Cheap shotting someone and then jawing at the bench is right in his wheelhouse.

ShatteredGlass

∞ Posts Deleted :)
Dec 19, 2011
Pittsburgh / Vegas
I remember about 3 seasons ago, Kevin Porter had a great game against us when he played for Buffalo.

They were a bottom-feeder then too, but beat us that night and he had 2 goals.

I was pissed. Should have figured he'd be a Pen someday.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
WBS is going to need an enforcer to put out some of the fires Oleksy starts.

I also want to disagree with BGB, because no one is less likeable than Boyd Kane.

Last edited:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I don't remember much about Oleksy except for a gif I posted of him a few years ago when I saw him picking his nose on the Caps bench. :laugh:

iEhJqXcqAiwjt.GIF

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Farnham is a Group 6 UFA because of his age and lack of NHL games. Might be a moot point though, because he wants to come back.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/8632781-74/story#axzz3ebizp53O

Farnham is RFA according to NHL's official free agent list. So that should confirm his status.

Group 2 FAs: Beau Bennett, Brian Dumoulin, Bobby Farnham, Reid McNeill, Dominik Uher.

Group 3 UFAs: Craig Adams, Nick Drazenovic, Andrew Ebbett, Christian Ehrhoff, Maxim Lapierre, Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond, Daniel Winnik.

Group 6 UFAs: None.

UFAs: None.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=773192&navid=nhl:topheads

Stecz

Jul 28, 2010
A group 6 UFA is something a player can opt for, not something they immediately become. They don't have to exercise the right if they don't want it. Farnham didn't want to.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I'd have preferred Jim O'Brien, who went to New Jersey, to Porter.

Well that's it, this day's a failure then.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
As I understand it Farnham isn't a group VI UFA because he hasn't played 3 years with an NHL contract. For his first full pro season 2012-13 he was merely on a tryout and later an AHL deal with WBS. Pittsburgh signed him to a 1 year, 2-way NHL contract in the 2013 off-season and extended him for another year last summer. The same situation happened with Lovejoy some years ago.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
As I understand it Farnham isn't a group VI UFA because he hasn't played 3 years with an NHL contract. For his first full pro season 2012-13 he was merely on a tryout and later an AHL deal with WBS. Pittsburgh signed him to a 1 year, 2-way NHL contract in the 2013 off-season and extended him for another year last summer. The same situation happened with Lovejoy some years ago.

A group 6 UFA is something a player can opt for, not something they immediately become. They don't have to exercise the right if they don't want it. Farnham didn't want to.

Farnham is RFA according to NHL's official free agent list. So that should confirm his status.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=773192&navid=nhl:topheads

Thanks for the replies, guys. I was definitely confused about the ins-and-outs of the situation.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Wasn't Warsofsky considered a legitimate threat to crack the Bruins roster a couple years ago?

Yes, and he has looked good in every NHL game he has played in. Krug came as a college signing and no NHL team can have 2 guys that size on the D line at the same time. Very good little player.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
what does that even mean?

isn't AHL money 'guaranteed' as well for that matter?
Huh. Unless the report is in error, it's a signing bonus. I think. Basically, it appears to me that even if he plays the entire season in the AHL he'll have ended the season still being paid $575k.

Pretty sweet deal for him.

Tantamount to a one-way contract without actually being one as far what I can see. Though I'm not sure what the advantage of doing that is, at least on our end.

Last edited:

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
It is mean he's guaranteed to earn at least 350k, so he'll be up in the NHL for enough time to fill that 350k requirement.

It doesn't guarantee him NHL time. If he spends the whole season in AHL, Pens owe him another $75k at that point, so that he meets the guaranteed sum in his contract. These type of deals have happened quite commonly for better AHL'ers with some NHL experience that sign two-way contract. But it doesn't force Pens' hands in having to call him up at some point so that he'd earn enough to meet the limit.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
It doesn't guarantee him NHL time. If he spends the whole season in AHL, Pens owe him another $75k at that point, so that he meets the guaranteed sum in his contract. These type of deals have happened quite commonly for better AHL'ers with some NHL experience that sign two-way contract. But it doesn't force Pens' hands in having to call him up at some point so that he'd earn enough to meet the limit.

so they can just pay him 75k at the end of the year?

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
so they can just pay him 75k at the end of the year?

Yes, if he doesn't earn the minimum set in his contract during the season (so doesn't spend enough time in NHL to get enough pay).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad