Value of: Wayne Simmonds

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Please tell me why we need him, where would he play and how he would be utilized to make him a worthwhile target? Also what you would pay to acquire him. I doubt you can especially after I just laid out all the reasons he wouldn't be a good edition.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Please tell me why we need him, where would he play and how he would be utilized to make him a worthwhile target? Also what you would pay to acquire him. I doubt you can especially after I just laid out all the reasons he wouldn't be a good edition.

For what's it's worth, Simmonds has recently been playing his best hockey since the very beginning of last season.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
So, can we presume that Bruins and Caps are off the Simmonds' market?

I dont think the Caps were ever really in on Simmonds. But I wouldn't count the Bruins out. They're still rumored to be looking for a forward.

Even though after acquiring Coyle, they may look at more of a skilled/speedy forward

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
out of all the teams I think EDM could use him most, they have serious cap trouble but Simmonds is on a great deal

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
I doubt the Oilers are in. They don't look like a playoff team let alone cup contenders.
they drasticallyneed a winger for McDavid, the Talbot dump opened up a grain of space...

But obviously they have no ****ing idea what they are doing and I doubt any free agents take a discount and sign with them, I think they gotta make a trade

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Based on past trade markets I thought Simmonds would return a 1st and good but not great prospect. It's a buyers market though and Simmonds continues to struggle offensively. I think something like Raddysh/2nd (tampa), Allard/2nd (nashville), etc will ultimately be what gets it done.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I'd think hard about miller for simmonds
I wouldn't want Miller for 4 more years at 5.25 million for free let alone for Simmons. Say the 1st for 2020 isn't getting traded. I would say Erne and Katchock. Two players with 3rd line upside. Yes Flyers fans ticked they only get 3rd liner type players and Lightning ticked to give up youth which feels about right.

Munch89

Jul 4, 2018
Would there be any value for Nashville of a trade were to revolve around Simmonds and Tolvanen? I'm not too sure what Nashville's needs are but seeing as Tolvanen is quite the high ranking prospect, I would assume something would have to be added from Philly..

Simmonds + 3rd (condition of 4th if Simmonds resigns) for Tolvanen?

Last edited:

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
He'll probably get a 1st (or equivalent prospect) +a warm body (contract space/cap)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
No way Simmonds gets a 1st unless he comes with a shiny new contract. There are too many better players available. Coyle, who is a year younger, has similar numbers and term left only got Donato and and 5th. Frankly, I think Philly will be lucky to get a 2nd for him at this point in time.

Provorov4Norris

Sep 28, 2017
No way Simmonds gets a 1st unless he comes with a shiny new contract. There are too many better players available. Coyle, who is a year younger, has similar numbers and term left only got Donato and and 5th. Frankly, I think Philly will be lucky to get a 2nd for him at this point in time.

Some GM will fall in love with Simmonds grittiness, PP ability, great lockerroom guy, stands up for teammates and the way he battles. Stastny, Nash and others got 1sts last year and I'd expect the same for Simmonds. He offers much more than just the raw stats and GMs know that.

He doesn't play that way every game like he used to but in a short series he can be a beast.

Reactions: flyersfan187

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Brian Boyle returned a 2nd round pick, try again.
A few things:
1) Boyle is a C and centers are more valuable than wingers at the deadline.
2) Boyle was one of the first trades, those are usually some of the trades that return the best value for the sellers.
3) Simmonds is far more comparable to Coyle than he is Boyle.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
A few things:
1) Boyle is a C and centers are more valuable than wingers at the deadline.
2) Boyle was one of the first trades, those are usually some of the trades that return the best value for the sellers.
3) Simmonds is far more comparable to Coyle than he is Boyle.
A few more things:
1) Goal scoring in this league comes at a premium
2) Wayne Simmonds averages over 28 goals a season
3) Nashville and Montreal have the 2 worst power plays in hockey, Columbus is 4th worst. There are 5 other teams in playoff spots today that are in the bottom half of the league in this regard.
4) Teams look to add grit for the playoffs

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
A few more things:
1) Goal scoring in this league comes at a premium
2) Wayne Simmonds averages over 28 goals a season
3) Nashville and Montreal have the 2 worst power plays in hockey, Columbus is 4th worst. There are 5 other teams in playoff spots today that are in the bottom half of the league in this regard.
4) Teams look to add grit for the playoffs
Yes, teams pay for goals. But Simmonds averaging 28 goals a year means somewhere between zero and none. What teams will look at is 24 last year and a pace of 21-22 this year. Montreal is unlikely to make any big deadline acquisitions as they are still working on their rebuild. Nashville has already moved their 2nd and they'd be stupid to give up a first for Simmonds. Now if you factor in the saturated market, you won't get what you are expecting.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Simmonds will easily return a 1st or something of equivalent value. Boston, Nashville, Calgary, Vegas, Toronto, Tampa Bay, Winnipeg are all the teams that are interested in him some way or another. Competition between teams that will play each other in the 1st or 2nd round will attempt to outbid each other.

The saturated market assumes that everyone will be traded. Ottawa is playing chicken with the rest of the NHL. They can't afford to get anything less than top value for their players. There is no guarantee of Columbus trading Panarin. So even if you keep Duchene, Stone, and Panarin in the mix, Simmonds is like 5th best in the scope of being traded.

If Nashville doesn't want to pay what Simmonds is worth, then Vegas, San Jose, Winnipeg, of Calgary could. Can Nashville really afford to sit on their hands while other teams get better. (Example not just directed at Nashville, but all playoff/Stanley Cup aspiring teams)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad