Value of: Wayne Simmonds

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I'm sure he's been posted about quite a bit, but I rolled back a couple days and didn't see anything recent. What would your Cup contending team be willing to give up for the Wayne Train?

Historically great PP guy, not great at 5-on-5, although it's been the opposite this year. The Flyers are also dealing with the redundancy of JvR, trying to work both of them on the 1st PP unit. He's an UFA at the end of this season and expected a decent pay raise after playing for a massive discount the last few years. Great locker room guy as well.

LeBrun has mentioned some teams like Tampa and Boston would be interested, possibly Nashville, among others. Flyers would probably avoid trading him in the division.

Tampa fans...would you give up Raddysh, your late 1st, and maybe another prospect for a summer of Simmonds?

Curious to hear what fans would offer to bolster their Cup run.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Nashville is probably out after adding Boyle, but other Western teams might have just raised their interest in adding him. I think Calgary is a great fit.

Reactions: CanadianSniper

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I am apparently the only Tampa fan that believes Simmonds would be a huge add for Tampa, since most of my fellow fans are more worried about where superstars Adam Erne or Cedric Paquette would get their playing time if we added Simmonds.

Don't think you'll get much traction from them.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I'm sure he's been posted about quite a bit, but I rolled back a couple days and didn't see anything recent. What would your Cup contending team be willing to give up for the Wayne Train?

Historically great PP guy, not great at 5-on-5, although it's been the opposite this year. The Flyers are also dealing with the redundancy of JvR, trying to work both of them on the 1st PP unit. He's an UFA at the end of this season and expected a decent pay raise after playing for a massive discount the last few years. Great locker room guy as well.

LeBrun has mentioned some teams like Tampa and Boston would be interested, possibly Nashville, among others. Flyers would probably avoid trading him in the division.

Tampa fans...would you give up Raddysh, your late 1st, and maybe another prospect for a summer of Simmonds?

Curious to hear what fans would offer to bolster their Cup run.

I think thats a fairly egrigious overpay, and thats before you consider that Tampa doesnt even have their own first this year unless they fail to win the cup.

I'd settle for a 2nd and Raddysh, to be perfectly honest, and the 2nd can be in 2020 if Tampa is concerned about not being able to pick in the first two rounds of 2019 (assuming they have the 2020 2nd still). I fully expect most Tampa fans to not be ok with that either, but that's fine. If Boyle can grab a second, there's no reason to think Simmonds cant grab a 2nd+.

Reactions: Morinisbear

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Not sure what would have to go the other way for cap purposes but I could see the Sharks being a surprise team in on him

The3rd

Jun 20, 2018
This is a good "Value of Thread." Philly is looking a little better so I am interested to see what will happen here...If they move him my guess will be;

Trade option A
-1st round pick (20th overall +)
- B to C level prospect, or a mid round pick (4th or 5th)

Trade option B
-A to B level Prospect
-Early pick (2nd or 3rd round)

I do not see any roster players going the other way because any youth in the NHL that actually end up on the active roster seem to contribute heavily to the team. I also think a team that would send an A level prospect to Philly would have to have other(s) A level prospects that cover similar aspects to the prospect they are moving.

PitchNHL

Jul 18, 2018
This is a good "Value of Thread." Philly is looking a little better so I am interested to see what will happen here...If they move him my guess will be;

Trade option A
-1st round pick (20th overall +)
- B to C level prospect, or a mid round pick (4th or 5th)

Trade option B
-A to B level Prospect
-Early pick (2nd or 3rd round)

I do not see any roster players going the other way because any youth in the NHL that actually end up on the active roster seem to contribute heavily to the team. I also think a team that would send an A level prospect to Philly would have to have other(s) A level prospects that cover similar aspects to the prospect they are moving.
I dont see any team moving an A prospect at all for simmonds let alone an A prospect + 2nd/3rd. Price will be option A almost definitely.

Reactions: backburner

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
I think I'm one of the few that don't think Simmonds is going anywhere. I think the rest of the teams core thats here like giroux ghost Patrick and others are going to push management to keep him here. if he gets traded at the trade deadline I wouldn't be surprised if he's back next year which might make a lot of people angry. I think a realistic return for Simmonds is a high first round pick or a high skilled project winger or defenseman. The closer the deadline gets the more I think he stays

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Would prefer to give up Katchouk then raddysh but if we can get a deal for simmonds done then I’m up for it.

The3rd

Jun 20, 2018
I dont see any team moving an A prospect at all for simmonds let alone an A prospect + 2nd/3rd. Price will be option A almost definitely.
I know I said A, but I meant to write it as and A/B level...hard to describe...Not a blue chipper but a top 3 level on any roster

Reactions: PitchNHL

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I think I'm one of the few that don't think Simmonds is going anywhere. I think the rest of the teams core thats here like giroux ghost Patrick and others are going to push management to keep him here. if he gets traded at the trade deadline I wouldn't be surprised if he's back next year which might make a lot of people angry. I think a realistic return for Simmonds is a high first round pick or a high skilled project winger or defenseman. The closer the deadline gets the more I think he stays

I agree he might be the best locker room guy we have...but where has that gotten us the last 3 seasons? We are the epitome of inconsistent and streaky, the most mediocre team in sports, literally. Could some of that been the previous regime? Sure. But if I'm Fletcher, I'm being very transparent with the locker room as to why they are or aren't shopping Simmonds...and a large reason why is because of the team's performance. They only have themselves to blame.

Reactions: Hextallent63

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
I agree he might be the best locker room guy we have...but where has that gotten us the last 3 seasons? We are the epitome of inconsistent and streaky, the most mediocre team in sports, literally. Could some of that been the previous regime? Sure. But if I'm Fletcher, I'm being very transparent with the locker room as to why they are or aren't shopping Simmonds...and a large reason why is because of the team's performance. They only have themselves to blame.
You make some really really good points that I totally agree with. I just don't think there's a market for Simmonds because of his skill set his age and the type of player he is. That's one of the reasons why I think he's going to be back here next season making around the same that he does now I can't see him getting this huge payday that a lot of people think he's going to get. Although I'm wrong just as many times as I'm right so..,.. when I say there isn't a market I don't mean there's a lot of teams out there that would love to have them I just think a lot of GM's look at his stat line compared to other types of pliers like him and you get scared. Lucic comes to mind.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
To be honest I felt like for a long time it was a 2nd and a mid prospect for him. Although with that recent Boyle trade that could really alter and mess with the market.

Teams have just been SOOO hesitant to give up 1sts lately and fewer and fewer have been moved each year. A few teams will but I'm not sure Simmonds is the guy you move them for with some of the other giant names out there. If you are moving a 1st you might as well go all in on a Stone or Panarin, and if he costs a 1st you might as well explore the other wingers out there to see it they're cheaper.

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
Lightning fan here.
I would LOVE to have Wayne Simmonds on the Lightning.

However, a winger with a very specialized skillset (PP and forechecking with scoring ability), who will be a UFA EXPECTING a big jump in salary, to me, would NOT be the type of player the Lightning should be giving up 20 yr old wingers with size and cost control for the next two seasons after this one for.
Much less ADDING a 1st round pick to...…..and yes, I realize TB has a first rounder right now only conditionally.

Let's not forget the Bolts have some big contracts that need to be given out to players already on their roster...Brayden Point being the most immediate, but not so far off are guys like Vasilevskiy and Sergachev.
So that means the Bolts need to start clearing some cap space...……..and the ONE player I think that makes sense going Philly's way, with maybe TB's 3rd rounder attached, would be JT Miller.

Don't get me wrong, I LIKE JT, however, he is one of the few Bolts players making over 4 or 5M without a NMC or NTC, he is still young (25), and honestly, with the way the Bolts have him all over the lineup, I feel they just don't have a "regular" spot for him.
If the Bolts didn't need the cap space, I would be perfectly fine with keeping JT, but they do..... Simmonds would likely be a rental, and for that rental (and yes, he would bolster the Bolts chances at a Cup, IMO), they get to clear some much needed cap space...……… further cap clearing would likely have to come from doing something about Callahan's contract (which is set to expire soon anyways), and maybe NOT retaining 1 or 2 of either Stralman, Girardi, or Coburn after this season.

But I digressed a bit....
Simmonds to the Lightning? Yes. Would love it.
But not at the expense of very young cost controlled players.

This isn't to say Simmonds isn't worth good young players, but just saying it wouldn't be in TB's best long term interest to add Wayne, keep JT, give up very promising young players or high draft picks....then find themselves in cap hell sooner than later.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
With the way the Flyers are playing now, he won't be traded and I'd say there is more than a 50% chance he's resigned.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
A young player who can play in the N now and has some good upside value and a mid round pick

No ones giving us a bluechipper for him and we have 4 thousand young players knocking on the door, and the mid round pick is near meaningless.

A first round pick or bust. I’ll even do a 2020 pick.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I am apparently the only Tampa fan that believes Simmonds would be a huge add for Tampa, since most of my fellow fans are more worried about where superstars Adam Erne or Cedric Paquette would get their playing time if we added Simmonds.

Don't think you'll get much traction from them.

Simmonds has 17 non PP points, that puts him 10th amongst lightning forwards. His p/60 is only better than Paquette and Cirelli. It's not that we think Erne is a better player it's that Simmonds isn't as good as he was, he wouldn't be getting the PP time he's used to, he would be getting the time on ice he has been which he's shown he isn't producing well at. So why spend a 1st or one of our few good forward prospects in Raddysh for that? He's not worth that and his physical play isn't the same either, Erne has more hits per game then him and Gourde has more fighting majors.

I also don't get the people who say we should trade Miller + fof him. Miller isn't playing well but Simmonds isn't going to be much better on the 4th line and we can move Miller for value in the offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad