Wayne Simmonds

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I doubt he is "hurt". But I also doubt he is playing with less effort than usual really... having watched him for so long.

But it is worth noting he did have core surgery over summer.

It would not shock me to see him bounce back next year and be a fair middle six winger at 5v5 and a good PP net-front guy.

But I simply don't want the Flyers to be the team to take a ~$5-6m dollar risk or so on finding out.
It took Giroux and Ghost a year to get back up to speed after their surgeries and Simmonds had more repairs done. I don't doubt his good qualities, but he doesn't have them this year and we can't resign him, as great and noble a soldier as he's been.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
It took Giroux and Ghost a year to get back up to speed after their surgeries and Simmonds had more repairs done. I don't doubt his good qualities, but he doesn't have them this year and we can't resign him, as great and noble a soldier as he's been.
JVRs signing pretty much sealed his fate in Philly. Not sure if it really was a fu to simmer from hexy as reported, but we have no role for him with pigeon strolling around.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
These are some terrible taeks here guys.

Do you really think that Simmonds, knowing what kind of warrior he's been for us while being ridiculously underpaid, would "dog" it?

His skills are declining and he's almost certainly playing hurt as usual. He needs to be traded but let's not be dumb and disrespectful about it.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

NateThompson44

<3 APPLEYARD <3
Feb 16, 2019
London
Interesting Question:

What pieces (i.e. Hayes, Stone, etc) get moved before Simmonds is dealt?

What time of day does Simmonds get traded?

My answer: Hayes and 1pm

Reactions: Flukeshot

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Interesting Question:

Hopefully he isn't late bargain bin type of deal like Vanek perennially seems to be. Brassard and Nyquist are another guy's on the market too, plus couple of guys under contract.

Reactions: Tripod

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Interesting Question:

It's a good question. There's a few guys out there that deliver similar qualities. I think we have seen plenty of times where the 2nd or 3rd best option goes off the board before the best because teams balk at the ask and Go for the cheaper asset.

I'll randomly guess Simmonds goes early Monday by 9am. First to go.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Agree that signing a new deal with Simmer doesn't make sense for us, but his game last night demonstrated why some play-off bound GM's, looking to add toughness and an unafraid net-front presence, will think about adding him for a run this Spring.

It would have been great if Jake's tying goal had come off a Simmer deflection, but the hit on Dumoulin, the team-high even strength CF% in a game with a playoff vibe, all good.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I still think theres a small chance hes NOT traded.

If teams wont meet Fletchers price, he may opt to keep him.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
If we trade Simmonds we're gonna need someone who will replace him in that role. Actually I don't mind him stay if he agrees on another team-friendly deal. Despite his struggles he's a decent bottom-6 player.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Fletcher is just holding out for a first. Someone will pay it, its all about patience

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
My gut says teams aren’t willing to give a first and a future or prospect for simmer. Fletch says fine. Tells simmer to will this team to the playoffs and smack around the penguins and he will get paid. The pressure is off. They play fast and loose. Flyers win the cup. Kimmo comes back as an assistant coach. Amac is gone. NP wins a scoring title next year. All praise gritty.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If we trade Simmonds we're gonna need someone who will replace him in that role. Actually I don't mind him stay if he agrees on another team-friendly deal. Despite his struggles he's a decent bottom-6 player.
This would be the worst outcome.

He is not a decent bottom 6. We don't need to fill our only open top 9 spot for next year, with Simmonds. We need to aim WAY higher with all the cap space and assets we have at our disposal.

Simmonds had a great "Flyers" game last night. Great way to end his career with us. But the time has come to move on. Get what you can for him and give icetime to kids like NAK. Oh, and trade Raffl too!

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
I know it’s the right thing to do in trading Simmer, but my biggest concern like I’ve said before is someone stepping into his role as an enforcer not to mention the guy continues to put up points, and also is somewhat feared and respected by other teams, I for one hate the nurtured playing style that Hexy and Hack wanted to impliment, which without a competent system, proper use of players, speed and skill, just looks like shitty hockey, honestly I would care if they resigned him, because I highly doint this franchise all od a sudden does a 180 and starts to do everything completely different, I mean for f***s sake How long did it take Myers to play with the big club? And they still play McDonald like he’s an all star, so as far as I see I doubt they get 30% of it right going into next season, I’m not even confident they get a good coach this offseason,

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
This would be the worst outcome
Nope, I can imagine worse scenario.
He is not a decent bottom 6
Looking at the bottom-6 players league-wide, he definitely is.
We don't need to fill our only open top 9 spot for next year, with Simmonds. We need to aim WAY higher with all the cap space and assets we have at our disposal.
Sure, if we could sign a better UFA than Simmer, it would be nice.
Get what you can for him and give icetime to kids like NAK
Of course, if we can get something really valuable for him, we should do it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I know it’s the right thing to do in trading Simmer, but my biggest concern like I’ve said before is someone stepping into his role as an enforcer not to mention the guy continues to put up points, and also is somewhat feared and respected by other teams, I for one hate the nurtured playing style that Hexy and Hack wanted to impliment, which without a competent system, proper use of players, speed and skill, just looks like ****ty hockey, honestly I would care if they resigned him, because I highly doint this franchise all od a sudden does a 180 and starts to do everything completely different, I mean for ****s sake How long did it take Myers to play with the big club? And they still play McDonald like he’s an all star, so as far as I see I doubt they get 30% of it right going into next season, I’m not even confident they get a good coach this offseason,
We saw last night, that the Flyers are so much more entertaining when we play with emotion. But we don't need Simmonds for that. We need EVERYONE to finish checks. We saw Ghost smoke a guy. We saw a bit of angry Jake. We NEED Konecny to get back to that agitating guy. It's a TEAM ATTITUDE that we need.

We 100% took on Hak's personality and it was awful. Hopefully under the next coach, we become more like the real Flyers.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
This would be the worst outcome.

He is not a decent bottom 6. We don't need to fill our only open top 9 spot for next year, with Simmonds. We need to aim WAY higher with all the cap space and assets we have at our disposal.

Simmonds had a great "Flyers" game last night. Great way to end his career with us. But the time has come to move on. Get what you can for him and give icetime to kids like NAK. Oh, and trade Raffl too!

The problem with Simmonds is he’s never going to be judged on merit by a coaching staff. So he’s never going to really see his ice time/usage decline that much. Even these past two years where he was pretty bad (one of them he was broken in half) yet the sum was him still seeing a good amount of ice time/usage in different situations.

I appreciate Simmonds’ time here & it sucks his window never matched the team’s but it’s time to move on. He’s not one of our best six forwards at this point yet gets used like one & we have a lot of prospects to fill depth roles.

Reactions: Tripod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad