Wayne Simmonds Options poll

What option would you choose for Wayne Simmonds?

• Total voters

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I went 3 years because as long as he is on our PP, can post points. And on our 3rd line, it adds depth until someone like Allison displaces him.

And THEN we could still likely trade him for 2 2nds in 2-3 years if we wanted to.

And playing him on the top PP unit keeps Patrick's points down, and thus keeps his cap hit down too! Sign him long term to a great deal AND THEN give him top PP minutes.

Yeah im not worried about Simmonds standing in the way of an Allison or a Ratcliffe until both look NHL ready, which is 1-2 years away at minimum.

Reactions: Tripod

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
We get at least a first round pick for him. You'll see eventually. Might have to add a cap dump player but it'll happen.... just in time for Lethargic to be done....I mean Lethera.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Hextall has been preaching all summer about not going crazy with term.

Even in the opposite scenario where he took 3-4 years (which is still barely plausible) for a really high AAV (let's say $8 mil), which I've seen floated by fans, I still don't understand the logic of why he's so essential to overpay like that. That's not even a tradable contract without eating a ton. People think this team will fall apart without him. I've said it before, but losing the younger, cheaper, equally productive left handed Schenn was something that barely registered on people's minds.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Even in the opposite scenario where he took 3-4 years (which is still barely plausible) for a really high AAV (let's say $8 mil), which I've seen floated by fans, I still don't understand the logic of why he's so essential to overpay like that. That's not even a tradable contract without eating a ton. People think this team will fall apart without him. I've said it before, but losing the younger, cheaper, equally productive left handed Schenn was something that barely registered on people's minds.
Yeah there really isn’t a number I would sign him for. I was just trying to convince myself he wouldn’t get a big deal here. I would have traded him at the draft. I think he’s done. At best he’s a 3rd line player moving forward (and that’s being generous) and they have a handful of guys not too far off from fulfilling and possibly outperforming what he brings at ES. As good as he’s been on the PP, I think Patrick can match him and maybe even add another element with his playmaking behind the net.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
The problem i have with the three yr contract is it's four more years . If he does get three yrs front load the contract and have no NTC so if one of the youngsters is ready you can move him easier or can expose him in the expansion draft .

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
How are people not completely exhausted over having this same conversation over and over and over and over and over and over?

Reactions: God Bless Mr Coffee

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I fire Hakstok don't Hagg know 3C.

It's also the most important on-ice decision that will happen in the next 6-9 months.

People just literally keep posting the same comments over and over in different threads. We should just sticky a Simmonds thread at this point.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
The options available in the poll suck.

He could be moved as part of a package in a bigger trade or be flipped at the TDL for a goaltender (or whatever the need will be at the time). So many things can happen.

HerbertJGreen

Aug 4, 2018
We should.

But when you think about it, we could easily condense this site into like 5 different threads.
Fire Hakstok
Who's the 3C ...Frost are you ready?
Simmonds... Extend, Trade or Walk?
Sandwiches, Hoagies, Wraps and Chocolate Moo
AMac and Gudas...again. Myers...will a real Dman please step up

Reactions: Amorgus and Magua

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I think there's a good chance he walks. If Hextall trades him, it sorta sends a message in the locker room (and by all accounts probably not a good one)? Letting him walk gives Hextall an out.

Reactions: Tripod

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
Hexy's in a real bind here.....gotta have a winger like Simmer, look at what Wilson brought to the Caps and Simmer can score more. A team has to have that "team player" who's willing to stick up for teammates like Simmer is plus when healthy he'll also get you 30 goals. Tough nut for the GM to replace this guy. :help: Without him they'll get pushed around and intimidated .....and please don't bring up Weiss.....has he retired yet ? :sarcasm:

Reactions: Sawdalite

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Hexy's in a real bind here.....gotta have a winger like Simmer, look at what Wilson brought to the Caps and Simmer can score more. A team has to have that "team player" who's willing to stick up for teammates like Simmer is plus when healthy he'll also get you 30 goals. Tough nut for the GM to replace this guy. :help: Without him they'll get pushed around and intimidated .....and please don't bring up Weiss.....has he retired yet ? :sarcasm:

49f138547ff4bf780e701a16483077c1.jpg

Reactions: Magua

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
If these were the only options? Let him walk in the summer because two late 2nds is a pretty awful return and kind of redundant at this stage of the rebuild/retool. Also gives Hakstol and company one less excuse to use if they under perform this season. Gonna need to leave no excuses for him to get him and Lappy out of here.

Honestly though, he's dropped off pretty badly as of late. I don't think he's even a top six caliber player anymore if I'm completely honest, unless he's completely sheltered/carried and is the go-to net guy on PP1. Except we have two guys who are probably better at that role now in JVR and Patrick.

I'm shocked at how many people want to re-sign him for any length of years. On the downside of his career going into his 30's, has already shown a decrease in performance, played the entire last season with nagging injuries and never sat out (which, while competitive, is selfish and stupid), and we have two players who are younger and do his job better already.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad