Wayne Simmonds Options poll

What option would you choose for Wayne Simmonds?

• Total voters

nuclear reactor

Apr 5, 2010
3 years but he'll never take it. He's going to get over $30m in free agency. Now could Hextall be really creative and give him an ultrashort deal with a ton of money? 2 years, $25m? Assuming of course they aren't going to spend that cap space in other areas, and aren't willing to commit to a longer term deal for a juicy potential UFA like Duchene or Stone.

However, if they can only get 2 second rounders for Simmonds, wouldn't people rather trade a guy like Raffl (also a pending UFA) for say, a third and a sixth, and replace him with Nicolas Aube-Kubel, or deal Gudas for a 2nd maybe, and then replace him with Myers?

My biggest concern with Simmonds is that his extension scares away guys like Allison and Laczynski from signing deals. These players could be much more productive in years 3 and 4. And Simmonds can't get a NMC with the draft approaching

Reactions: Norze

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Simmonds value is two late 2nd round picks?

Considering the underwhelming ROR return and that Skinner went for a mediocre prospect, a 2nd, a 3rd and a 6th. I'd say two-mid/late 2nds or a late 1st is probably close to his value at this point. Maybe marginally more.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Considering the underwhelming ROR return and that Skinner went for a mediocre prospect, a 2nd, a 3rd and a 6th. I'd say two-mid/late 2nds or a late 1st is probably close to his value at this point. Maybe marginally more.
I don’t think he’s worth anything crazy, but I’d be pretty surprised if he was traded and the return was that poor(two 2nds).

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

TheBlackFish

Jun 22, 2016
yea why are we trading a proven nhl player for picks ??

you trade for proven nhl talent coming back that fills a need for the team immediatley
That's usually not an option for rental players. The potential trade partners are playoff teams who won't be interested in subtracting equal value from their nhl roster. Proven nhl player for player trades involve more term, and even then they are rare.

So if two 2nds is the best offer Ron gets he can't just pout and complain that "it's not fair, i think he's worth more". A decision has to be made. Trade, sign, or let go.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
He’s not signing a 3 year deal. I would think 5 years is the minimum. I’d pay him max money for 2 years but that’s not happening either. The best option would be trading him I think. It will be for a good return bc he is going to light it up this year.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
If two 2nds is really all they would get for him, then I would let him walk. We have so many prospects and are running out of roster spots for them...so they have to start letting people walk to make room. Id rather resign Raffl to a 2 year deal than simmonds for longer than that and much more money.

Bottom line is they dont really need Simmonds beyond this year...and they really wont need him beyond next year...so why have him here?

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Its a catch 22 for sure, I love the guy but it is a business. If he steps up and has a big year it may be tough to bring him back. He isn’t going to take a hometown discount and he shouldn’t.
If the Flyers are in the thick of it in February Hextall likely doesn’t trade him and he could walk for nothing.
Sure he could still be traded but I would be shocked if happens now. Of course we also dont know if and what kind of offers Hextall has gotten.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Simmonds has much more value then that. He is a top PP guy, tough to play against and I don't think he will wear down as much as people think. I would like him to be our Knuble on the PP, but he will and should cash in in the off-season. I went with the 3 years because no way I trade him for that little.

HerbertJGreen

Aug 4, 2018
If we are not making playoffs then trade him for whatever you can. I think we will make the playoffs and let him walk in the off season.

Reactions: wasup

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
These choices make me want to vomit, so kudos on a good set of poll options.

Went three years, he's still good, and plays a role very well. There's a bit of anti-business pro-karma rationale in seeing him get paid a chunk of money that the Flyers would be getting good juju for filling in the gaps of the previous years of service. Ultimately though, the longer term deals are just dumb, the two late 2nds are just so underwhelming, and the walk for nothing just doesn't make sense.

Least bad option time.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I went 3 years because as long as he is on our PP, can post points. And on our 3rd line, it adds depth until someone like Allison displaces him.

And THEN we could still likely trade him for 2 2nds in 2-3 years if we wanted to.

And playing him on the top PP unit keeps Patrick's points down, and thus keeps his cap hit down too! Sign him long term to a great deal AND THEN give him top PP minutes.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That's usually not an option for rental players. The potential trade partners are playoff teams who won't be interested in subtracting equal value from their nhl roster. Proven nhl player for player trades involve more term, and even then they are rare.

So if two 2nds is the best offer Ron gets he can't just pout and complain that "it's not fair, i think he's worth more". A decision has to be made. Trade, sign, or let go.

Rick Nash as a rental returned Spooner, Lindgren, 1st, 7th, and cap dump Beleskey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad