Player Discussion Wayne Simmonds acquired for a conditional 2021 pick

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Love.
Skinner needs bodyguard that can finish.. I wanted him last year..
It'll open things up. Skinner's been getting the puck, the defense collapses on him, and the play dies. Now when he gets the puck, Simmonds is going to make a beeline to the net. That's going to draw defenders away from Skinner and disrupt their coverage. Or as Ray would say get the defense runnin' around. Skinner is Chaos Theory on Ice.

Reactions: k8prisoner

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Can anyone clarify the condition on the 5th upgraded to the 4th?

"Sabres make the playoffs and Simmonds plays 10 games", is how I've read it.

How is that '10 games' interpreted?
A. between date of trade and playoffs. [My assumption.]
B. in the playoffs.
C. between date of trade and conclusion of Sabres playoff run.

Or is this another one of those obscure Sabres trade conditions which will vex the local Buffalo media more than adjusting the platen on a manual Underwood?

I believe the condition is 10 “meaningful” games in March....

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
He has just been given a new chance. He is in a contract year. If he has a really good 20 games and the Sabres somehow make the playoffs, his next contract will be higher.
I could see the Sabrea putting him on a top line and the PP inflating his stats...Then I could see Botterill signing him to like a 4 year deal and way over paying so then we're stuck with a bad cap hit

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
This Western swing will make or break our chances IMO. Colorado and Vegas are juggernauts and Arizona is desperate trying to get into the playoffs. If we somehow win two of these games then we should still have a shot.

The way the Avalanche is playing right now, if the Sabres can get some top flight goaltending and keep it to a 1 goal game, I like their chances tomorrow night.

It's too bad that the Sabres don't have Francouz in net instead of Colorado. Injuries galore to the Av's forwards (and maybe Girard at D as well) and MacKinnon is gradually getting burnt out. Frankie's kept the Avalanche in the last few games.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I could see the Sabrea putting him on a top line and the PP inflating his stats...Then I could see Botterill signing him to like a 4 year deal and way over paying so then we're stuck with a bad cap hit

He signed Marjo, a player a couple years younger to a 2 year deal last summer. I know we are all pissed at Botts but he isn't going to give a 32 year old with mileage who plays a heavy game a 4 year deal.

If Simmonds puts up say 5-7-12 the last 20 games then I could see a 2/6 type deal.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
He signed Marjo, a player a couple years younger to a 2 year deal last summer. I know we are all pissed at Botts but he isn't going to give a 32 year old with mileage who plays a heavy game a 4 year deal.

If Simmonds puts up say 5-7-12 the last 20 games then I could see a 2/6 type deal.
If he does, then yes.. I'm good for the term. NOT for the amount.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I get that people like that he wanted to come to the team but let’s see how he plays over these 20 games.

Reactions: slip

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I get that people like that he wanted to come to the team but let’s see how he plays over these 20 games.
It certainly simplified his family life to have his wife and toddler 90 minutes away in their off-season Toronto home. Probably checked a big box for him, but recall the rumors that he picked NJ over BUF when he signed his current contract.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It certainly simplified his family life to have his wife and toddler 90 minutes away in their off-season Toronto home. Probably checked a big box for him, but recall the rumors that he picked NJ over BUF when he signed his current contract.

I can't even imagine what signing him instead of Johansson would have been like. MJ's a good mid-6er who's been mis-cast. Simmonds on-ice impacts, especially for his salary? Eeek.

Having made the mistake of listening to The Instigators on my drive over to work, I hear them talking about bringing him back already. Only one of the three said anything about seeing what he looks like on the ice.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Right - but at the same time let's not dissmiss / write the guy off without seeing him either.

Has anyone done that? I get that his on-ice impacts are not nearly worth his salary -- heck they might not be worth the half salary that they are paying him -- and the off-ice/room stuff is what they are banking on. Fine. I'm intrigued by injected someone who has a high pain-tolerance and a commitment to the physical parts of the game into that room, especially now that Broke has been excised from it. I get why they did it and not someone like Ennis. It's fit.

But talking extension already is not prudent. Sign the guys who show that they belong and can contribute like Larsson or even Girgensons prior to the end of the season. See if Simmonds can bring anything to the lineup before even considering making him an offer. To do that in the opposite order ignores too much of what wins games.

Reactions: Fezzy126

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Has anyone done that? I get that his on-ice impacts are not nearly worth his salary -- heck they might not be worth the half salary that they are paying him -- and the off-ice/room stuff is what they are banking on. Fine. I'm intrigued by injected someone who has a high pain-tolerance and a commitment to the physical parts of the game into that room, especially now that Broke has been excised from it. I get why they did it and not someone like Ennis. It's fit.

But talking extension already is not prudent. Sign the guys who show that they belong and can contribute like Larsson or even Girgensons prior to the end of the season. See if Simmonds can bring anything to the lineup before even considering making him an offer. To do that in the opposite order ignores too much of what wins games.

First point - yes there are the usual suspects already anointing him as a terrible signing / failure without having him suit up even once...

Second point - completely agreed.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
First point - yes there are the usual suspects already anointing him as a terrible signing / failure without having him suit up even once...

Second point - completely agreed.

I mean, his on-ice hockey impacts are bad outside of PP slot shots and the nebulous hit stats. So... for people looking for a good player, hoping for a good player, it's hard to see this and think they made inroads there.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Friedman with some thoughts on Wayne:

31 Thoughts: Could Joe Thornton's next destination be Toronto? - Sportsnet.ca

17. Calgary also checked into Wayne Simmonds. Second time in two years.

And

18. I understand why Buffalo acquired him. The Sabres are battling for positivity in a negative time, and Simmonds has a great attitude. They were losing two players who wanted to move, and you need to replace them since you’re striving for a miracle finish (Dominik Kahun was the other add). The Devils made it very clear Simmonds was not going anywhere unless the situation was good for him. He’ll get a chance to play good minutes and work towards his next deal. (Hopefully Instigators co-host Andrew Peters reads to 18 this week.)

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I can't even imagine what signing him instead of Johansson would have been like. MJ's a good mid-6er who's been mis-cast. Simmonds on-ice impacts, especially for his salary? Eeek.

Having made the mistake of listening to The Instigators on my drive over to work, I hear them talking about bringing him back already. Only one of the three said anything about seeing what he looks like on the ice.

How was the "Big Physical Guy" drinking game?

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad