Player Discussion Wayne Simmonds acquired for a conditional 2021 pick

EmeraldCitySabre

Yeah, we've got uniforms and everything....
Apr 10, 2010
The Claw
No we don't.

Why not?

If Florida and Toronto lose today, which is very possible since they're both on the road against tough opponents, the Sabres would be 6 points behind TOR with 2 games in hand and 4 points behind FLA with 1 game in hand. MTL hosts VAN, but we'll have 3 games on them.

If we win the games in hand, we're just 2 points out. That's very much "a chance" at making the playoffs. Florida and Toronto are also both struggling while we're playing very well.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Why not?

If Florida and Toronto lose today, which is very possible since they're both on the road against tough opponents, the Sabres would be 6 points behind TOR with 2 games in hand and 4 points behind FLA with 1 game in hand. MTL hosts VAN, but we'll have 3 games on them.

If we win the games in hand, we're just 2 points out. That's very much "a chance" at making the playoffs. Florida and Toronto are also both struggling while we're playing very well.
This Western swing will make or break our chances IMO. Colorado and Vegas are juggernauts and Arizona is desperate trying to get into the playoffs. If we somehow win two of these games then we should still have a shot.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Why not?

The problem is combinatoric probabilities get real small real fast.

If you represent each of those outcomes as 50/50 splits there's 4 'events': TOR game, FLA game, 2x Games in hand. Buffalo would need to run the table and get 4 positive outcomes: 50% * 50% * 50% * 50% = 6.25%. Roughly 1 out of 16 times.

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
The problem is combinatoric probabilities get real small real fast.

If you represent each of those outcomes as 50/50 splits there's 4 'events': TOR game, FLA game, 2x Games in hand. Buffalo would need to run the table and get 4 positive outcomes: 50% * 50% * 50% * 50% = 6.25%. Roughly 1 out of 16 times.
Ya know, I definitely enjoy the fact that numbers are more relevant than ever before in sports but f***, lets go on a damn run here eh?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Can anyone clarify the condition on the 5th upgraded to the 4th?

"Sabres make the playoffs and Simmonds plays 10 games", is how I've read it.

How is that '10 games' interpreted?
A. between date of trade and playoffs. [My assumption.]
B. in the playoffs.
C. between date of trade and conclusion of Sabres playoff run.

Or is this another one of those obscure Sabres trade conditions which will vex the local Buffalo media more than adjusting the platen on a manual Underwood?

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua

B. in the playoffs.

Or is this another one of those obscure Sabres trade conditions which will vex the local Buffalo media more than adjusting the platen on a manual Underwood?
If I were a GM I’d throw unrelated conditions into trades just to spice things up.
I’ll give you a fourth, but -
if Trump is elected for a second term it’ll become a fifth.

if road death statistics for 2020 are lower than 2019 it’ll become a third

if Harry and Megan get average Joe jobs in Canada within a year of arrival I’ll make it a second but if Megan gets a Hollywood role it goes down to a fifth rounder

if the North Island of New Zealand experiences snow below 500m above sea level in 2020 I’ll give you a fifth rounder next year too.

The fans would hate me, haha

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I would assume it's Buffalo makes playoffs and Wayne played 10 of the remaining 20 regular season games. Someone can find some clarity on that if they want but I'd be surprised if those weren't the conditions.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Sabres' new acquisition Wayne Simmonds 'can't wait to get started'
Wayne is pumped and it sounds like he's pumping up the guys around him
"I play a really physical game. I’ll drop the gloves if need be and at the same time I like to go to the net and get in peoples’ faces. That’s been a staple of my game for a long time and it’s not going to change now that I’m here. I think it’s only going to enhance the talent around me. I think when you're going down the stretch here, I'm a UFA at the end of the year. Whether I stay here or I go, I've got to prove myself. So playing these meaningful games over the last 20 and trying to push this team into the playoffs. I mean, obviously, I know I'm not going to be the savior or anything here, but just another piece to help the boys out. That's something I relish. I'm a competitor. I've always been a competitor my whole career. And this kind of stuff brings the best out of me."

He skated on the newly created SMS Line: Skinner, Mojo, Simmonds

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019

I have seen it in a few places this being talked about as unusual. I don't see why it was even a question? It was Sabotka's number, but he is on LTIR and then a UFA. He will never play a game in a Sabres uniform again, so I am not sure the Sabres would even think twice, even out of respect for Sabotka.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I have seen it in a few places this being talked about as unusual. I don't see why it was even a question? It was Sabotka's number, but he is on LTIR and then a UFA. He will never play a game in a Sabres uniform again, so I am not sure the Sabres would even think twice, even out of respect for Sabotka.
I think its more about the fact that the Sabres have never officially said Sobotka’s done for the season. This is kind of an unofficial confirmation that he is.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I think its more about the fact that the Sabres have never officially said Sobotka’s done for the season. This is kind of an unofficial confirmation that he is.
I thought when they put him on LTIR they said he was not going to back for the season. I think his wife also commented in an article that he would not be back this season.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I thought when they put him on LTIR they said he was not going to back for the season. I think his wife also commented in an article that he would not be back this season.
They put him on LTIR but the most I heard about him returning or not was Krueger saying he didn’t think so.

In the grand scheme of things it doesn’t really matter. But I think thats why it was surprising to some Simmonds was handed 17.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007

B. in the playoffs.

From the Devils website:
"The conditions are as follows: if Simmonds plays in 10 regular-season games and Buffalo makes the playoffs, the selection then becomes Buffalo's 2021 fourth-round selection."

I would assume that clears up any ambiguity.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Sabres' new acquisition Wayne Simmonds 'can't wait to get started'
Wayne is pumped and it sounds like he's pumping up the guys around him
"I play a really physical game. I’ll drop the gloves if need be and at the same time I like to go to the net and get in peoples’ faces. That’s been a staple of my game for a long time and it’s not going to change now that I’m here. I think it’s only going to enhance the talent around me. I think when you're going down the stretch here, I'm a UFA at the end of the year. Whether I stay here or I go, I've got to prove myself. So playing these meaningful games over the last 20 and trying to push this team into the playoffs. I mean, obviously, I know I'm not going to be the savior or anything here, but just another piece to help the boys out. That's something I relish. I'm a competitor. I've always been a competitor my whole career. And this kind of stuff brings the best out of me."

He skated on the newly created SMS Line: Skinner, Mojo, Simmonds
Love.
Skinner needs bodyguard that can finish.. I wanted him last year..

Reactions: Mitts888

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad