Player Discussion Wayne Simmonds acquired for a conditional 2021 pick

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
Has anyone done that? I get that his on-ice impacts are not nearly worth his salary -- heck they might not be worth the half salary that they are paying him -- and the off-ice/room stuff is what they are banking on. Fine. I'm intrigued by injected someone who has a high pain-tolerance and a commitment to the physical parts of the game into that room, especially now that Broke has been excised from it. I get why they did it and not someone like Ennis. It's fit.

But talking extension already is not prudent. Sign the guys who show that they belong and can contribute like Larsson or even Girgensons prior to the end of the season. See if Simmonds can bring anything to the lineup before even considering making him an offer. To do that in the opposite order ignores too much of what wins games.

OK something I've never understood is why anyone cares about what his value for money is at this stage? Botterill didn't give him that contract and doesn't have to pay him for long. Our cap room is irrelevant after the trade deadline. All that matters is how he performs. I don't get why anyone cares what value for money he is. He's not getting that next season and has been open that this is an audition. It's perfect for us, we have a player that wants to play his heart out in order to get paid, and the Sabres aren't to blame for his contract.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
OK something I've never understood is why anyone cares about what his value for money is at this stage? Botterill didn't give him that contract and doesn't have to pay him for long. Our cap room is irrelevant after the trade deadline. All that matters is how he performs. I don't get why anyone cares what value for money he is. He's not getting that next season and has been open that this is an audition. It's perfect for us, we have a player that wants to play his heart out in order to get paid, and the Sabres aren't to blame for his contract.

Because in a cap league with salary bonus implications, it is important? Value matters?

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
Because in a cap league with salary bonus implications, it is important? Value matters?

Not at this point it doesn't Good luck to him. We're not to blame for his contract and it doesn't have trade or negative trade or cap implications. The argument is about how much value he is, but if he was excellent value then he'd cost a lot more. He's expensive, so we got him essentially for free. I can't help but think that this is an example of finding reasons to moan.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
This guy didn't look very good yesterday, in the sense that his wheels just don't seem to be riding.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Not at this point it doesn't Good luck to him. We're not to blame for his contract and it doesn't have trade or negative trade or cap implications. The argument is about how much value he is, but if he was excellent value then he'd cost a lot more. He's expensive, so we got him essentially for free. I can't help but think that this is an example of finding reasons to moan.

Go back and re-read the entire post of mine you quoted. You are trying to put words into a post that aren’t there and complain about what you perceive as complaining.

Classic seagull posting.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
From what I saw last night, I would think swapping him and Okposo would be a better option. I think he could function on the checking line and Okposo could handle the more offensive role. Kahun coming into the lineup should push out Frolick.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Why do I have this insane inkling that this hockey team’s bad season (if it ends that way) will be partly blamed on the fans for being too vocal with their negativity, and bringing the team and organization, who are trying their hardest, down???

I feel like this narrative started months ago, and has only grown.

It's so weird how the media takes offense to the fan base essentially taking their job from them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad