Wayne Gretzky Impressed with Sens

SNES

Aug 7, 2012
Manotick
http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/01/23/wayne-gretzky-impressed-with-ottawa-senators

SUNRISE, Fla. — The Great One predicts Ottawa hockey fans could be in for a treat this season.

After denying rumours he's about to become president of the Toronto Maple Leafs, Wayne Gretzky told Hockey Night in Canada radio Wednesday he's been impressed with the way the Senators have been playing early this year.

"The team that I am pleasantly surprised with, and how good they're playing and how much depth and talent they have for a young group, is the Ottawa Senators," said Gretzky from Los Angeles.

"I'm really impressed by how they're playing and how they've started. They are strong on the puck, solid defensively. They could be a big surprise. It could be a fun year for the people of Ottawa."

Gretzky noted before making the comments that people have been talking about Edmonton Oilers, New York Rangers, Los Angeles Kings and the Minnesota Wild "making a big splash," but he's liked the Senators thus far.

metalfoot

Karlsson!
Dec 21, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
I just about posted the "Gangnam Style" video in reply there. You can thank me that I didn't.

Pi-erre Mc Guire Style! Hup! Hup! Hup! (stupid horse dancing)

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Janet is probably throwing down some crazy vegas cash on the sens now.

Rick Tocchet better get his bookie game back in shape.

Pitlick*

I bet Gretz regrets steering poor Justin Schultz to the Oilers.

Besides finishing last and taking no-brainer picks, and getting Eberle and Schultz, every other move their incompetent management makes backfires.

It is obvious they will never put together a great team, and will somehow bungle the wealth of young talent they have.

Patvolcom65

@Patvolcom65
Jul 4, 2011
New-Brunswick

Besides finishing last and taking no-brainer picks, and getting Eberle and Schultz, every other move their incompetent management makes backfires.

It is obvious they will never put together a great team, and will somehow bungle the wealth of young talent they have.

Maybe Gretzky will take to Schultz having made a mistake and we will trade bishop for schultz :sarcasm:

Lazarrr

Apr 10, 2010
Ottawa

It is obvious they will never put together a great team, and will Isomehow bungle the wealth of young talent they have.

They are awful at drafting. Their first overall picks hide it though.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Double whammy for TML. First he turns down the job (at least I hope he did) and now he is praising the Sens.

mranderson

Oct 17, 2012
Ottawa fans were extremely classy to 99 during his last game - especially considering how that Ottawa was fighting for an improved playoff seeding. So it wouldn't surprise me if Wayne had a special place in his heart for the Sens.

Having said that, he seems to be spot on with his assessment of this (young & exciting) club.

StayThirstyMyFriend

Aug 9, 2009
I'll wait to see results after playing stiffer competition before I get too excited. I think the D might get exposed against the penguins so Anderson is going to have an even better game.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Ottawa fans were extremely classy to 99 during his last game - especially considering how that Ottawa was fighting for an improved playoff seeding. So it wouldn't surprise me if Wayne had a special place in his heart for the Sens.

Having said that, he seems to be spot on with his assessment of this (young & exciting) club.

Pretty sure his last game was against Pittsburgh.

Klefbom, Marincin and Gernat look pretty good too. They're not a great drafting team but they're not the worst either. Gotten better the last few seasons.

Yup. The Oilers have drafted a few good players outside the first round that seem to be neglected outside Edmonton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad