Wayne Gretzky Disappointed With Performance at Alumni Game; Says It May Be His Last.

Daniel M

Dec 2, 2014
Does anybody actually care? Nobody expects him to be good now. He was the greatest ever, but he hasn't played in years. He can enjoy his retirement however he sees fit because he doesn't owe anyone anything. It makes me sad to see him beat himself up. Dude could be 300 pounds right now and I'd still have the same amount of respect for him as the greatest ever.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I was at practice Friday and he left practice early, as well as leaving the alumni game prior to the Jets giving the Oilers a check for charity. His voice was hoarse after practice Friday.

I am betting he was ill as has been reported by local media but believe whatever you wish.

Last edited by a moderator:

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
Actually, give Mario one year of preparation and he could still play in the NHL, I bet.

He's 50 man. I would be scared for anyone at that age going up against men in their physical prime. No amount of training can overcome aging.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I just saw him on Colbert last week. Honestly he is a terrible actor for the most part. At 55 he was great on Colbert. Delivered! A secondary apoearance. And the humblebrag was loaded and fired! But as hockey ambassador and promoting his book. He did it!

Was better in public then a lot of times.

He is Wayne freaking Gretzky. The crowd was way more into it then Colbert!

Kinda unintersting interview. Except Colbert introduced him to fog lighting as maybe the best athlete ever! That is full credit! Crazy credit.

Great appearance!

Hope it overshadowes a weak 55 year old old timers performance!

Colbert presented him like Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods or Jack Nichlaus or Gordie Howe or Barry Bonds or Jerry Rice.

What I am saying is he got utter respect. Due great respect. Tje crowd got it. The short interview was ok. But the entrance was the thing. Colbert is not a sports fan or a hockey fan. He gave the deferance he could. And Gretzky was full humblebrag!

Last edited:

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
So my hero Wayne is playing for the Blues alumni, Dec. 31st- apparently it wasn't his last! Instead of crying and feeling sorry for himself how about he starts putting some time on the ice? With a little practice the Great One could be at least decent.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
So my hero Wayne is playing for the Blues alumni, Dec. 31st- apparently it wasn't his last! Instead of crying and feeling sorry for himself how about he starts putting some time on the ice? With a little practice the Great One could be at least decent.

yup, pretty happy about this...seems like being terrible at the last alumni game has re-awoken his competitive spirit

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010

Didn't he only play like a half a season with STL? That's a bit silly to have him in the Alumni game when he was barely ever on the team.

Same with Brodeur, actually. I looked it up, and he played in 22 different seasons for Jersey. That's tripple the number of games (7) he played in St. Louis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad