Wayne Gretzky Disappointed With Performance at Alumni Game; Says It May Be His Last.

JA

Wayne Gretzky is disappointed with his performance at today's Heritage Classic alumni game between the Jets and Oilers squads. He was held pointless and was barely noticeable on the ice. As a result, he has stated that it may have been the last time that he would ever lace up his skates for the public.

Wayne has always had the comfort of knowing that he is the best player of all time. To not be able to perform at a sufficient level relative to his competition anymore seems to have hurt his innate sense of pride. He comments here on Mark Messier's performance, stating that he is impressed at how good he still is; meanwhile, Wayne's own skills have diminished, and his reaction to his play has been very negative.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/wayne-gretzky-winnipeg-alumni-game-might-last/
Wayne Gretzky: Winnipeg alumni game ‘might have been my last’
Sportsnet Staff October 22, 2016, 7:36 PM

The Winnipeg Jets-Edmonton Oilers alumni game played Saturday ahead of Sunday’s Heritage Classic thrilled fans. With many all-time greats on the ice, Teemu Selanne stole the show with two goals, including the game-winner on a penalty shot with only seconds remaining.

The Great One was there, too, playing in his second outdoor game. He was held off the score sheet and said after the game that it may be the last time hockey fans see him on the ice.

“That might have been my last game,” Gretzky said.

Why is Gretzky thinking this game may be his last?

"I stink. I'm really bad." he added. "At least I forewarned people. Mark went down and he snapped that first goal and went down and snapped the second one, and I was, like, oh, my God, he can still play. Nobody's thinking that about Wayne Gretzky."

Two days prior, he said this:

https://www.nhl.com/news/wayne-gretzky-eager-for-heritage-classic-alumni-game/c-282874942
Wayne Gretzky eager for Heritage Classic alumni game
NHL's all-time scoring leader says he won't deliver much himself but promises competitive event
by Dan Rosen @drosennhl / NHL.com Senior Writer
October 20th, 2016

NEW YORK -- A now 55-year-old Wayne Gretzky insists he isn't being modest when he talks about how when the skates go on, he doesn't come close to resembling the player he used to be.

"It's a fact," Gretzky said Thursday prior to going to the NHL Powered by Reebok Store to autograph copies of his new book, "99: Stories of the Game," for a throng of gushing fans.

Copy that, but does he have enough to give the people of Winnipeg a show Saturday during the 2016 Tim Hortons NHL Heritage Classic alumni game at Investors Group Field between former members of the Edmonton Oilers and Winnipeg Jets (4 p.m. ET; NHLN, SN, TVA Sports)?

Like, can he still skate circles around guys with the puck on his stick?

"Oh listen," Gretzky said, "I can't dangle."

How about a goal? Does he still have a few left on his stick?

"I hope I get a shot on net," Gretzky said. "Somebody said the best time to retire is when people say you know you could play one more year. I said, 'I got nine goals, that used to be a good month.' When you get nine goals in (70) games, it's time to retire."

Yeah, he also had 53 assists in his last NHL season, 1998-99, but we digress.

For Gretzky, this weekend in Winnipeg and the alumni game Saturday is less about what he can still do on the ice and more about what the game can and still does for people.

"It's about the community, it's about the game, it's about the NHL, it's about raising money for charities," Gretzky said. "Everybody wins."

"When the team was being formed and the Oilers and the League were involved in making sure the right guys were there, getting the group together, the one thing I said is, 'I know Curtis Joseph is in really good shape and he can still stop pucks, we need him in net,' " Gretzky said. "So I guess it gets competitive before you even get out there.

"The hockey won't be quite as good, but the attention to detail and the trying will be exactly the same as when we played."

Today's realization seems to have hurt him. It also shows that he might not have his priorities in the proper order as far as community events are concerned. He cares too much about whether or not he plays well and its effect on the perception that others have of him. I think that his role as an ambassador should come before that. His appearance at these events is special, so for him to not participate in future events on the basis of his play would be to go against his role as an ambassador and as a community figure. People are just happy for him to attend.

If it is about the community first and all of the wonderful things that he acknowledges these events are about, then it seems contradictory for Wayne to stop participating in alumni games on the basis of his declining play. Nobody cares about how many goals he scores or how effective he is -- they just want to see him; they want to celebrate a wonderful history between two teams and a city's love of hockey. To be involved with the community and take part in these sorts of festivities is the key part of being an ambassador. For him to be on the ice at the alumni game today means something to a lot of people, and is especially appreciated by the people of Winnipeg.

To worry so much about his play and potentially refuse to take part in future events is contradictory to his role as an ambassador for the sport, and as a link between the community and the game. This was for the fans, and it's disappointing to see that Gretzky would put the preservation of his self-image ahead of that.

Prior to the game, these were his words; his performance at the game itself only worsened his confidence in himself and reaffirmed his doubts:

https://www.nhl.com/news/gretzky-says-alumni-game-at-could-be-one-of-his-last/c-282841788?tid=281290524
Wayne Gretzky almost ready to hang up skates
NHL's all-time scoring leader, now 55, says alumni game at Heritage Classic could be one of his last
by Tim Campbell @TimNHL / NHL.com Staff Writer
October 19th, 2016

"I'll play the outdoor game, that probably could be one of my last games," Gretzky said. "I don't skate a lot or get out there. I only have a couple of more of those games in me, I can guarantee you that."

These days, the Great One plays or skates less often that most fans may think.

"I have a bag of equipment, and I skate once a year and when I put mine back in the garage, I say, 'That was a lot of fun, I need to do that again,' and I don't get it out for another year," he said. "I'm just not as good as I used to be, I'm the really the OK One now, not even Good One.

That's not the point of these alumni games. His reaction to his play in the aftermath of the game was even more somber, as he seemed flustered and slightly bitter.

Dale Hawerchuk understands the purpose of the alumni game:

"That's the biggest thing, a reunion," former Jets captain Dale Hawerchuk said. "It's been a long time with certain guys. That part's going to be fun and exciting. To play outdoors in a big stadium, it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience. We're all getting up in age here. I retired because of my hip … and guys have had [surgery on] knees and shoulders and more.

"I know the players are looking forward to it, and the fans from that era, I hope they enjoy seeing the old names and faces that used to skate on ice at the old [Winnipeg] Arena for the Jets. It's kind of history week.

During the post-event press conference, Wayne made this remark when asked about his play:
"When you play in the NHL, you know, playing in the NHL, you get to play with the greatest players and you meet the nicest people and the greatest memories, and there's only one National Hockey League.

When I retired from there, that was it. I can't -- I don't have the same excitement to go play pickup hockey with buddies. I love the game. I love every aspect of the game. But I have no interest to play with guys who were not at my level at one point in time. So I don't play hockey anymore. I play once a year. I love it when I do go out there. But, you know, I'm 56 in two months and, you know, that might have been my -- I'm not doing a roadshow -- that might have been my last game. It's hard now when it's just tough to tie up your laces."

He seems embarrassed by his play, which is sad. He shouldn't feel that way. It should not deter him from being involved in these events.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aug 3, 2010
Maybe it's because Messier keeps in shape because of his pride as a former professional athlete vs Gretzky not keeping in shape and therefore having to be prideful after the game when he didn't score and couldn't keep the image of his legacy.

Just my 2 cents.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Well at least we can safely say that Mark Messier was the reason Wayne Gretzky was so successful.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
He said it was going to be one of his last games anyways before he even played in it.

He would of looked fine if he kept playing shinny and in beer leagues. Lots of old timers leagues he could be playing in to keep in shape he's not even that old yet.

JA

"I stink. I'm really bad." He is right, it was actually kind of sad seeing just how bad he is now.
I don't think he realized how much his skills have diminished.

All athletes care about how well they perform; it's the only way for them to improve and motivate themselves. As much as he tries to be modest publicly, he takes pride in the fact that he used to be the best. He used to chase records and view them as challenges for him to overcome. He knew he could accomplish anything if he worked hard for it.

Today, he was hardly noticeable at all -- it was a far cry from the player he used to be, and it seems to have saddened him to see all of that natural talent dissipate.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
"I stink. I'm really bad." He is right, it was actually kind of sad seeing just how bad he is now.

I mean, didn't he basically drop hockey after he retired? When was the last time Gretzky played or has even gone on the ice to mess around? It just seems like he had no intention of stepping on a sheet of ice again after '99, that's what's really sad. The best player to ever play the game just quits playing completely.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
It was pretty sad seeing the interview. You could tell how he felt. He was arguably the most dominant athlete in any sport.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I don't think he realized how much his skills have diminished.

All athletes care about how well they perform; it's the only way for them to improve and motivate themselves. As much as he tries to be modest publicly, he takes pride in the fact that he used to be the best. He used to chase records and view them as challenges for him to overcome. He knew he could accomplish anything if he worked hard for it.

Today, he was hardly noticeable at all -- it was a far cry from the player he used to be, and it seems to have saddened him to see all of that natural talent dissipate.

The problem with Gretzky is the biggest skill he had was between his ears. It was really bad today. He maybe played two shifts per period. But the radio said he was ill.

I was watching him like a hawk and see were all the oilers fans around me. The guy had no compete. I don't think he battled for a puck or even bent a knee all game.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
You could tell immediately after he was a bit upset. He has zero reason to be, he'll always the Great One and best player who ever lived.

That was a surprisingly entertaining game. Selanne and Messier both looked like they could still play right now.

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
Meh. He's probably a better golfer now than he was in 1999.

When a person doesn't train and maintain peak level fitness, performance drops off.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
A 55-year old former athlete who probably hasn't trained in more than a decade is now worse than his former teammates, despite being twice as good as any of them during their time together.

Why am I not surprised?

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
He would of looked fine if he kept playing shinny and in beer leagues. Lots of old timers leagues he could be playing in to keep in shape he's not even that old yet.
Lol if you are Wayne Gretzky you can't just show up to the pickup game and expect to not be bothered.

JA

Lol if you are Wayne Gretzky you can't just show up to the pickup game and expect to not be bothered.
Here's the full quote from the post-event press conference:
"When you play in the NHL, you know, playing in the NHL, you get to play with the greatest players and you meet the nicest people and the greatest memories, and there's only one National Hockey League.

When I retired from there, that was it. I can't -- I don't have the same excitement to go play pickup hockey with buddies. I love the game. I love every aspect of the game. But I have no interest to play with guys who were not at my level at one point in time. So I don't play hockey anymore. I play once a year. I love it when I do go out there. But, you know, I'm 56 in two months and, you know, that might have been my -- I'm not doing a roadshow -- that might have been my last game. It's hard now when it's just tough to tie up your laces."

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I saw him and Dale Hawerchuk interviewed on the HNIC post game show. He sounded like he was sick or something, maybe he had a cold or something?

Either that or the game took a huge toll on him today. Though I'd lean more towards he wasn't feeling very well. Just listening to his voice and listening to him talk.

A 55-year old former athlete who probably hasn't trained in more than a decade is now worse than his former teammates, despite being twice as good as any of them during their time together.

Why am I not surprised?
He looks like he's in pretty decent shape, though that doesn't mean his conditioning is good or at decent levels. A lot of guys gain a ton of weight after retirement, as they're probably eating the same calorie intake as they were while they played and they're not training/skating/working out like they were when they played. So they have a huge calorie surplus and it results in weight gain.

But he looks better than a lot of guys after they retire. I remember seeing Lindros in the alumni game when the Flyers and Rangers did the Winter Classic a few years back. He was still only in his 30's and he looked really out of shape and much heavier/significantly more body fat than when he had last played, which was only like 4 years before that. Less than 5 years before that. Jeremy Roenick is another one that seemed to look much pudgier upon retirement.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
LOL. I guess even god gets old.

Note to Wayne ... no one cares how you skate in a meaningless old timer's game. They only care that you are out there. You can come out in a bobsled and people will still be awed.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Funny how Mess can still sort of play the game. He and Simpson could probably beat Wayne and Mario 2 on 2.

Life is a funny thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4