Wayne Gretzky Disappointed With Performance at Alumni Game; Says It May Be His Last.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
"I stink. I'm really bad." He is right, it was actually kind of sad seeing just how bad he is now.

I don't think its sad at all. Doesn't matter how great you were, age is the great equalizer. Age affects different people at different times. Wayne shouldn't feel embarrassed or let down because guys he used to skate circles around when it mattered have now passed him up 30 years well after the fact.

If guys want to stay in shape and keep playing and are LUCKY enough to avoid serious injuries and their lingering affects all power to them, I think that's awesome. I know guys who still play in their 70s. Its fantastic for guys who can keep playing this awesome game so late in life.

But, if a guy decides he's had enough and wants to let himself go, or doesn't want to deal with the pain anymore that comes from a lifetime of playing and only wants to put the gear on once a year for charity games I say good for those guys as well. They've earned it! And I still want to see those guys play just as much as the guys like Messier who actually still can play. I don't care if Gretzky dangles through 5 guys and makes amazing passes all day. I'm happy to see him out there laughing and grinning and having a great time with the players I grew up watching. Just seeing Gretz on the ice or even the bench gives me chills, doesn't even matter if he touches the puck.

I know as a competitor its hard for Wayne to look at it that way, but hopefully he finds peace with his diminished on ice abilities and learns to have a good time at these events. We all know they wouldn't be the same without him.

Tom Collins

Aug 26, 2013
The fact that he seemed a bit dejected is the reason he was the GOAT. The best always hold themselves to higher standards than anyone else.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
He still has that hockey sense.

That quote is gold, it's understandable that this might be his last game though. You don't get to be arguably the most dominant athlete in any sport by accepting you're second best. It seems like he put very little effort into getting back into game shape, but that's his prerogative.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
No one here can relate to the the feeling of being the best at something - and not by a little margin either. I can only imagine the burden of Wayne seeing his talent whither away and not being able to do anything about it.

Then add the burden of millions adoring you....

Wayne is a humble guy. That said, it's an old timers game, just seeing his jersey on the ice is enough for he spectators. Remember when parent jumped in the game? That was epic! He was terrible but it was epic nonetheless.

I hope he still does them in the future.

OilersJaysSteelers

Oct 3, 2015
It probably will be his last, because honestly how often do the Oilers play an alumni game? No way Gretz laces up for the Blues later this year or the Rangers ever in an alumni game. If I recall correctly, he hasn't played in an alumni game for the Kings either (though I can't seem to track down alumni rosters for their Stadium Series games for some reason). As for being dejected, I just don't buy it. He's so humble that he takes shots at himself, like he did in the presser. I can guarantee you he was 100x more dejected by only scoring 9 goals in his final season than he was after playing an alumni game for fun. Not only that, but how often do you think the guy skates nowadays? I bet its on par with once or twice a year, like many guys who are retired. Even Selanne said yesterday thats how often he's skated since retirement. This thread should be closed.

delled

Oct 3, 2009
News at 11: Gretzky thinks Keith Tkachuk is in marvelous shape, perhaps even in better shape than himself these days.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
He looks like he's in pretty decent shape, though that doesn't mean his conditioning is good or at decent levels. A lot of guys gain a ton of weight after retirement, as they're probably eating the same calorie intake as they were while they played and they're not training/skating/working out like they were when they played. So they have a huge calorie surplus and it results in weight gain.

But he looks better than a lot of guys after they retire. I remember seeing Lindros in the alumni game when the Flyers and Rangers did the Winter Classic a few years back. He was still only in his 30's and he looked really out of shape and much heavier/significantly more body fat than when he had last played, which was only like 4 years before that. Less than 5 years before that. Jeremy Roenick is another one that seemed to look much pudgier upon retirement.

He's in good shape (i.e he has a normal weight), but I think a lot of the muscles and the reflexes are gone. Gretzky looks like he aged a lot more than Messier, but Messier has always been more athletic than Gretzky. 99 was not the only one to look like a shell of himself, Coffey was terrible as well.

Regarding yesterday's game, Selanne could've smoked everybody out there but he went easy. He's only two years removed from the game and he looks like he still plays sports regularly.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
OP puts waaaay too much time into these, over such obvious, irrelevant issues or topics.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Yep, he practiced about a year ago I think and I heard he was skating circles around our defensemen.

Lemieux is just naturally superior. Most era proof player ever. 80's 90's 2000's. No problem give lemieux a stick and skates and you have the best player in the league

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Wayne's a 56 year old man who hasn't played at all in 17 years. He's basically my dad on the ice now. Messier's still the best player in the world

Qurpiz

Nudes in bio
Nov 5, 2006
Oilers really need to blow up their alumni team and get on with the rebuild.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
His favourite player was Gordie Howe and Howe was still in the NHL when he was just a bit younger than Gretzky. Perhaps that's part of the reason he's so hard on himself, but Howe was a freak of nature. If Gretz was sick, like some suggested, he'd probably be too modest to use it as an excuse. Seems over the top, but it's hard to relate to someone who's done what he's done in his career.

As others have said, people just like seeing him on the ice. I'm sure Oiler fans, especially older ones, were just happy seeing so many of the 80's players there as it won't be too long before a lot of them won't be doing old timers games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad