OT: Watcha reading?

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
I have ADD so I read multiple books at a time and take forever to finish any of them! Right now I'm finishing up IT (King) and funnily enough a middle grade novel that my nephews' really into called "Keepers of the Lost Cities". Not CRAZY about the latter, but I love bonding with my nephew so it's worth it lol.

Also, IT is masterful in the most disturbing way possible lol

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
The Confessions of Nat Turner is a well-written book. It courted controversy, but I think serious books should do that.

oooh, I might add that to my reading list. classic i've never read. i do remember reading (with much excitement) several children's book about him when I was coming up but nothing of great weight.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
oooh, I might add that to my reading list. classic i've never read. i do remember reading (with much excitement) several children's book about him when I was coming up but nothing of great weight.
bigred. Glad another reader has joined us. "Confessions" is a good book--not sure it qualifies as a classic.
One other book I think I have mentioned before that I strongly suggest you read if you are looking for a modern classic is "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien. It is truly brilliant (so much so that I am re-reading it one section at a time).
I am also currently reading "White Teeth" by Zadie Smith. It is on many lists for the best books of the 21st century. Rightly so. It combines humor and erudition better than almost any book I have read. It is an amazing work--even more so considering the author was 23 when it was finished.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
H
bigred. Glad another reader has joined us. "Confessions" is a good book--not sure it qualifies as a classic.
One other book I think I have mentioned before that I strongly suggest you read if you are looking for a modern classic is "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien. It is truly brilliant (so much so that I am re-reading it one section at a time).
I am also currently reading "White Teeth" by Zadie Smith. It is on many lists for the best books of the 21st century. Rightly so. It combines humor and erudition better than almost any book I have read. It is an amazing work--even more so considering the author was 23 when it was finished.

Howdy! Thanks, I'll def check it out. I should be done with both books within a week (although apparently my nephew's series is 7 books long):

giphy.gif

lol.

Also, re Confessions, I guess it's all relative. In my background, it was regarded as a classic (although I have not read it yet). Anyway, glad to add more books to the list.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So yeah I watched a vid on FB where this blonde gal traded a dragon for a bunch of eunicks, and I gave in for the hype, and wheezed through A Game of Thrones, and paddling upstream A Clash of Kings now.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
So yeah I watched a vid on FB where this blonde gal traded a dragon for a bunch of eunicks, and I gave in for the hype, and wheezed through A Game of Thrones, and paddling upstream A Clash of Kings now.
The books are really good. I have a feeling that I will have to watch the series if I ever want to see an ending to the story, however. I don't think GRRM is in any hurry to write the ending to the story now that HBO has filmed one possible ending.

Reactions: Lempo

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So I'm halfway through A Dance with Dragons, and for a good while already it has been pretty clear to me who Jon Snow's mother is.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Currently reading Magicians of the Gods and Master and Commander.

I'm also working my way back through Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt series in order.

Unfortunately I always find my to-read list long and my free time to read short.

Reactions: HisIceness

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Slogging through--early on--Neal Stephenson's Anathem. Not sure how much longer I'll stick with it.

Also re-reading Swinging '73: Baseball's Wildest Season.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I just finished The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula Leguin. It is truly a novel of ideas: What is reality? What is responsibility within our reality? Can those with power ever foresee the ends of using their power?

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
2018/19 Carolina Hurricanes. A tale of a 'Bunch of Jerks'.

The ending is lame and leaves you wanting more but overall it's a good read. It's a lot better than the last 10 volumes of which I do not recommend.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Finally finished The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.

If you're at all interested in Soviet history, it's an amazing work. Bulgakov was a singular writer; Stalin loved and protected him, even though his work was so critical of Soviet society that the vast majority of it went unpublished in his lifetime.

Once upon a time I aspired to read it in the original Russian. Happy enough to have finally finished it in English.

Reactions: emptyNedder

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I am just over 1/3 of the way through "A Brief History of Seven Killings" by Marlon James.

Incredibly ambitious book that uses the assassination attempt on Bob Marley as a jumping off point to explore Jamaican history, how the Cold War played out in the Caribbean, family dynamics, and how cocaine became so prevalent in the 70s and 80s.

James uses language to sing/dance/scream/whisper/pray. Thus far an impressive thrill ride of a novel.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Range by David Epstein. This book challenges the concept that specialization is good for our culture.
I am about 100 pages in—the author is explaining how analogies are necessary to creatively solve problems. Like comparing hockey lineups with spices added to cooking.

Reactions: cptjeff and vorbis

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
@Navin R Slavin I think you had recommended some type of business/leadershippy type book a little ways back. I had jotted it down and now can't find it, any recollection of what I'm talking about?

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
when looking at wealth disparity in this country, why do we expect anyone to have to live frugally, for that matter?

I recently listened to the audio version of "The Lessons of History" by Will Durant. Interviews with Will and his wife Ariel and interspersed.

His perspective is that Freedom and Equality are everlasting enemies. Economic freedom will lead to income/wealth inequality due to natural variation in abilities and ambition.

He says (based on historic record) that when a civilization is dealing with significant wealth inequality...haves and have nots...either redistribution occurs or revolution occurs...the later not being good for anyone involved.

Unfortunately he doesn't specify the optimal level of redistribution.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Yesterday I started "The Sellout" by Paul Beatty. The 20 page prologue is both thought-provoking and laugh-out-loud funny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad