OT: Watcha reading?

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
I loved the way the Bobs embraced their geekness. I thought the premise was fresh. He's doing a 4th book, "The Search for Bender" or something like that. There are so many directions he could take the story. I obviously enjoyed it more than you.

Didn't mean to be too negative...I liked the books enough finish all three. The main plot is great and some of the sub-plots were very enjoyable.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
Didn't mean to be too negative...I liked the books enough finish all three. The main plot is great and some of the sub-plots were very enjoyable.

I just finished listening to the audiobooks for the 2nd time through. The guy doing the audio is great at giving the different Bobs personality. I didn't think you were overly negative, but I just loved everything about the books. I read a lot of sci-fi, and so much of it is so similar.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
The books sound interesting. How about a favorite passage. Here is mine from Big Machine:

"I've described the color, but there's still the stench to explain. Imagine a dying mule vomiting a soiled diaper all over your sweaty feet. The pipe smelled worse than that. Plus rancid milk was in there somewhere."

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Goodwill donation centers and Salvation Army thrift stores have tons of books. It’s something like 50 cents for paperbacks and $1 for hardcover. Usually a very good selection, but your mileage may vary.

I usually use the library and prefer kindle books from the library, but sometimes when I know I’m only going to be able to read sporadically, I’ll spend the big bucks for a print copy at GCF or Salvation Army.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Goodwill donation centers and Salvation Army thrift stores have tons of books. It’s something like 50 cents for paperbacks and $1 for hardcover. Usually a very good selection, but your mileage may vary.

I usually use the library and prefer kindle books from the library, but sometimes when I know I’m only going to be able to read sporadically, I’ll spend the big bucks for a print copy at GCF or Salvation Army.

Library time restrictions and limit copies don't work well with my schedule...and I don't care to hunt and peck in a used book bargain bin.

Every time I find a book I want, I put it in an amazon wishlist...I check the wishlist periodically and buy anything on sale...kindle books often go on sale for 2 or 3 dollars.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I keep a massive list in my OneNote on my laptop. One column for books I want to read, one for books I’ve read. An associated date with each.

When someone recommends a book or I another stumble upon something I want to read, I put it on the list and put the date down. When I finish a book, I move it from the “want to read” list to the “have read” list and put the date I finished it.

I obviously don’t have data from before I started this, but I think my reading rate has doubled. It’s oddly satisfying to move the books from one list to the other. I also never have to worry about what to read next, as my “want to read” list is now >75 books or so, and of course grows faster than I can actually read them.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
@Unsustainable I think Jay Cutler is the author of that book

As491Ae.jpg

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Red-reading "The Things They Carried." Not only the best Vietnam book, not only the best war book, but the best book to really give a sense of the author that I have ever read.

My wife and I were on a 5-day anniversary trip and one night at a rooftop bar met a couple who we really connected with. While discussing TV shows (my wife binge-watches "Better Call Saul," "Walking Dead," and "Peaky Blinders" among a few others), the woman asked if we watched "This is Us." She stated that her brother had written the upcoming episode and mentioned "he is a fairly well know author." It was Tim O'Brien's sister. Of course I told her that her brother was a genius. Glad for the chance meeting because it encouraged me to revisit that great book--and the episode of "This is Us" was quite powerful.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Red-reading "The Things They Carried." Not only the best Vietnam book, not only the best war book, but the best book to really give a sense of the author that I have ever read.

My wife and I were on a 5-day anniversary trip and one night at a rooftop bar met a couple who we really connected with. While discussing TV shows (my wife binge-watches "Better Call Saul," "Walking Dead," and "Peaky Blinders" among a few others), the woman asked if we watched "This is Us." She stated that her brother had written the upcoming episode and mentioned "he is a fairly well know author." It was Tim O'Brien's sister. Of course I told her that her brother was a genius. Glad for the chance meeting because it encouraged me to revisit that great book--and the episode of "This is Us" was quite powerful.

That's high praise. I've added it to my reading queue.

I recently read "The Sports Gene" and "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms". Would recommend both.

The latter takes place ~100 years before the events in A Game of Thrones...nice GRRM fix while waiting for the next book.

The Sport Gene has some good discussion on how important genetics is at the tail end of distributions...some interesting case studies and anecdotes...suggests eventually we may see training become genetic specific. The book also made me a little less critical of factoring in bloodlines when drafting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad