OT: Watcha Listenin' To? Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

This is one of my 10 favorite songs of all time and has been since this album was released. It's a swooning ass-kicking epic. If you like dark indie (mid-90's) power pop, give this band a listen. They were / are a bit under the radar. Sadly, Secret Swingers is out of print and has been for a couple of decades. Merge should really re-release that one.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

This is one of my 10 favorite songs of all time and has been since this album was released. It's a swooning ass-kicking epic. If you like dark indie (mid-90's) power pop, give this band a listen. They were / are a bit under the radar. Sadly, Secret Swingers is out of print and has been for a couple of decades. Merge should really re-release that one.

This is good yes we like this.

I have a friend who'd probably love it so I'm spreading it around.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
i was yesterday years old when i found out these guys are ...american

I'm stunned.

"The Bends" is infinitely superior to anything else they have made, but I am just about the only one who believes it.

I don't think that's too controversial of an opinion. I think OK, Computer is clearly the better album but The Bends is arguably 2nd in their oeuvre and it probably features their strongest collection of songs as singles.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'm stunned.
I don't think that's too controversial of an opinion. I think OK, Computer is clearly the better album but The Bends is arguably 2nd in their oeuvre and it probably features their strongest collection of songs as singles.

It's not controversial at all, it's just that everyone says exactly the same thing you did, which I think is insane. Maybe not insane, but a little crazy.

Reactions: mja

mja

Jan 7, 2005
This is good yes we like this.

I have a friend who'd probably love it so I'm spreading it around.

Yes, spread this around. I have indirectly gotten some random teenagers into Versus through my daughter, who grew up listening to me play this and their other albums constantly. It warms my heart that there are a few kids out there listening to an almost forgotten indie rock band from the 90's (though Versus still does occasionally put out an album).

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Im an outlier, my favorite is probably In Rainbows.

feels_wave.gif

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

This has been getting some pretty heavy play on UK alternative radio... I guess probably has more traction in UK that US despite them both being US acts.

Damn good song.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

If anyone wants to expand their musical horizons into Anatolian 1970s rock revival...

really good band.

Was supposed to be seeing them in a tiiiiiiny venue last May but COVID intervened. Hopefully the venue is not changed for rescheduled show, might be as they got a lot bigger over last year, - for my own selfish reasons - as it is a great venue.

Reactions: wankstifier

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
@Appleyard I assume you know these guys, and I'm sad you haven't posted anything from them yet, because I just found them and love everything about them. :laugh: They're like the Swedish version of QOTSA/Kyuss. And Truckfighters is an incredible band name.

That song is like 3 different songs in one. What a ride.

Reactions: Appleyard
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot