Confirmed with Link: Washington signs Conor Sheary to 1 year 735k deal

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Are people really complaining about signing a guy with proven NHL value for league minimum? There are a lot of scrubs out there occupying a lot more of the salary cap than Sheary. This is a smart pick up in a year where you may end up losing players often for long duration. Sheary can be slotted into multiple lines, he knows the teams we're playing well, and he's a pretty well known quantity.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
He’s cheap, so he’s fine. There are some other forwards I would’ve liked to see, as Sheary is small. But in a vacuum, nothing wrong with this. All teams are going to start making moves like this, now that the league start dates are “set”

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Sheary is a much better player than Sprong. I live in SoCal and watched him in Anaheim. Dude sucks besides goal scoring. Sheary on the third line with Eller and Hags would be a fantastic option.

He scored at a .5PPG pace after getting out of the hellhole that is Buffalo and Buffalo expected him to be a line driver.

Yeah I cannot imagine that Sprong is higher on the depth chart than Sheary.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I’d put them about equal. Sheary-Eller-Sprong is our best bet to have a third line that actually puts points on the board. Rotate Panik and Hagelin on left side of the 4th line.

I don’t get the Sprong hype... he couldn’t make it in Pittsburgh or Anaheim or even a Caps playoff game, but now he’s gonna leapfrog Panik and Hagelin?

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Seems like an okay deal and an okay fit to me. If the Caps were an unphysical team you might not want a player like this, but that isn't the case. He could be a useful player IMO.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t get the Sprong hype... he couldn’t make it in Pittsburgh or Anaheim or even a Caps playoff game, but now he’s gonna leapfrog Panik and Hagelin?

hope is a funny thing....

Some people want to see Panik and/or Hags gone. So they hope for Sprong.

Reactions: um

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
He used to have a lot of hype around him and he has good tools: the high level skating and lethal shot. Plus he's already been able to produce offensively. The giant question mark with him is the defense and overall 200 foot game. I do believe he was genuinely working on developing those aspects of his game for the first time last season and he understands the urgency of the moment and that he needs to play a complete game to make it in the NHL. With that being said, I still view him as a work in progress who will need to improve over the course of the season and will have to take advantage of his opportunities once injuries hit. The fact that there are zero preseason games is not going to help him find his way in a new system to start the season either, so some amount of patience is warranted here. He is basically the Caps new reclamation project; like Connolly once was.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I think the thing is that he wasn’t even horrendously bad or anything in his limited time with those teams, he was decent enough. Sprong likely just needs an opportunity and should be a good player. The 14 goals in 47 games two years ago intrigues me. 15 goals out of a league minimum player is pretty ideal

but yeah I like Sprong/Sheary and would be fine with whoever wins that out if they are both fighting for the same spot

Reactions: tenken00

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad