Confirmed with Link: Washington signs Conor Sheary to 1 year 735k deal

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Pens fans hate this guy for no reason. He's a solid depth forward that possesses the puck and scoring around 25 - 30 pts a year. He'll fit really well on the Caps and adds an element they needed. He's great in the corners despite his size.

Also, he previously made it so Sprong couldn't make it on our team. So I'm glad to see him continue to do that.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Seems like this is with Hank’s money, no? So I imagine they’re not planning on signing a veteran net minder. I could be wrong since I haven’t checked up in CapFriendly in a while but I thought they were pretty much maxed out.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Also, he previously made it so Sprong couldn't make it on our team. So I'm glad to see him continue to do that.
More likely I'd guess that he's an extra forward and top nine insurance but, sure, it's possible he could battle it out with Sprong and Panik for a regular spot. As-is it was looking as though Daniel Carr or Brian Pinho would be the most likely extra forward on the roster. This gives them a passable top nine talent depth option aside from McMichael.

I would have held out for Athanasiou but without any assurances for a spot it might have been a tough fit. Hopefully this is a league minimum signing. If it's for $1M or more I don't know what that says about their plans for the bottom six.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
More likely I'd guess that he's an extra forward and top nine insurance but, sure, it's possible he could battle it out with Sprong and Panik for a regular spot. As-is it was looking as though Daniel Carr or Brian Pinho would be the most likely extra forward on the roster. This gives them a passable top nine talent depth option aside from McMichael.

I would have held out for Athanasiou but without any assurances for a spot it might have been a tough fit. Hopefully this is a league minimum signing. If it's for $1M or more I don't know what that says about their plans for the bottom six.

Sheary is a much better player than Sprong. I live in SoCal and watched him in Anaheim. Dude sucks besides goal scoring. Sheary on the third line with Eller and Hags would be a fantastic option.

He scored at a .5PPG pace after getting out of the hellhole that is Buffalo and Buffalo expected him to be a line driver.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Need to see $$ and term (if they do sign Sheary)... although Lundqvist's 1 year $1.5 million doesn't really leave you much anyways I guess.

Edit: We will also need to graduate Vanecek's $716,667 if we don't make another move for a G.. and then a 3rd goalie = taxi squad? Haven't looked into exactly how it will work.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Money's fine. Sheary's still relatively young at 27 but I've never been a big believer. He's not what they go for on the third line typically but perhaps this is another Laviolette call. Maybe there's more consistency compared to Sprong but that would be the case with Panik as well.

While Sprong is relatively one-dimensional so was Connolly and they managed to get him figured out. He's a worthwhile project still IMO and hopefully not altogether shelved. A little more competition was needed from a scoring standpoint, though, so this is fine. Probably hard to beat at $735k.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

Money's fine. Sheary's still relatively young at 27 but I've never been a big believer. He's not what they go for on the third line typically but perhaps this is another Laviolette call. Maybe there's more consistency compared to Sprong but that would be the case with Panik as well.

While Sprong is relatively one-dimensional so was Connolly and they managed to get him figured out. He's a worthwhile project still IMO and hopefully not altogether shelved. A little more competition was needed from a scoring standpoint, though, so this is fine. Probably hard to beat at $735k.

So assuming this is using Hank's $1.5 million, Sheary at $735,000 + Vanecek at $716,667 = $1,451,667

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Depth forward and competition for 3RW. I don't like not really having a true "plan A" for 3RW, but at least there's multiple guys who will be competing for the slot. Hopefully one of them can exceed expectations.

It does kinda remind me of the lockout shortened 2013 season, where they they had a handful of different guys competing for left wing spots (injured Laich, Wolski, Johansson with the Oates stick curve, etc) and ended up with Jason Chimera spending most of the season in the top 6 before they traded for Erat to try and address LW. Fortunately it's the third line and not the top 6 this time, so hopefully there's no regrettable trades in the pipeline.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
im fine with this... will need some good depth players with our div. if he doesnt work out he would prob be easy to put on waivers or release with his salary

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
Decent 3rd line player who can put up a decent amount of points, but when he’s playing on the top 6 he’s probably the most frustrating player you’ll ever see : the guy can’t stand on his feet to save his life, falls down on the ice about 100 times per game. A complete momentum killer when you try to cycle the puck in the O-zone.

Reactions: DukeDog13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->