OT: Washington Redskins 2019 Season Thread Vol 6: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Who do you want to be the new Redskins coach?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainAmerica

OV >>>>>> Crosby
May 3, 2010
Charlottesville,VA
I think you're seeing what you want to see.

Nope. I’m actually pretty easy going/patient with most players, but I have had zero indication that Haskins is starting material in this league. Might be why he fell so far in the draft.

Also, Ohio State, has produced a lot of system QBs that looked great in college, but never materialized in the pros. Can you name one successful QB in the league that played under Urban Meyer in college?

Urban Meyer and his offense can make any average college QB look good.

I guess time will tell, but I’m totally into the idea of drafting Tua/Burrow.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Nope. I’m actually pretty easy going/patient with most players, but I have had zero indication that Haskins is starting material in this league. Might be why he fell so far in the draft.

Also, Ohio State, has produced a lot of system QBs that looked great in college, but never materialized in the pros. Can you name one successful QB in the league that played under Urban Meyer in college?

Just so we are clear, I've been predicting that Haskins has no chance of succeeding from the moment we drafted him. But that isn't going to stop me from noticing that he has positives, even if he's doomed in this situation. I wanted him to sit for a full year to focus on developing, but that ended up being impossible. I thought that was the only chance he had to make it.

What's the point of drafting either QB? We'll ruin them too.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Oh please... you didn’t notice the smug attitude as he was talking to them? Looked like he was placing all the blame on them ,when he’s a hot piece of garbage, rather than being constructive.

Not to mention the boneheaded move of walking of the field on 3rd down cause he can’t even remember what down it’s. Doesn’t seem like a high IQ guy.

Reserving judgment on DH as a QB this early (and because I haven't seen enough of him yet) but I didn't interpret that video the way you did. I saw a very young rookie QB trying to do the diplomatic thing someone else probably told him to do, and not really knowing how to execute it convincingly.

Asking "what can I do to help YOU do your job" is something managers are sometimes told to say to make themselves available and establish a working relationships with employees. It flips the script from the expectation of the manager/boss/leader just demanding things from others.

In the right setting with the right delivery it can be effective. A young kid leaning in and desperately trying to plead the case over the blaring trash coming through the PA speakers in a stadium, to a bunch of veteran linemen who are beaten down and exhausted, is not the right delivery.

This would've been better with some coaching, possibly at practice the next day in a private huddle, or maybe one on one with each player.

CaptainAmerica

OV >>>>>> Crosby
May 3, 2010
Charlottesville,VA
Just so we are clear, I've been predicting that Haskins has no chance of succeeding from the moment we drafted him. But that isn't going to stop me from noticing that he has positives, even if he's doomed in this situation. I wanted him to sit for a full year to focus on developing, but that ended up being impossible. I thought that was the only chance he had to make it.

What's the point of drafting either QB? We'll ruin them too.

I mean I get where you’re coming from. This organization is shit, but a young talented QB can bring life/hope to even this crap organization.

I might be hopeful in thinking that, but being hopefully is all we got right now unless Snyder decides to sell the team and we do a complete/proper rebuild.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Yeah, he's been asking the coaches how he can get better and this is just a clumsy attempt to move that to his O-line. He needs a few more ice cream seasons with the playbook.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I mean I get where you’re coming from. This organization is ****, but a young talented QB can bring life/hope to even this crap organization.

I might be hopeful in thinking that, but being hopefully is all we got right now unless Snyder decides to sell the team and we do a complete/proper rebuild.

I've decided that there is no reason to ever have any hope in anything they do until Snyder is gone. Otherwise everything is cursed to fail.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Then why has Keenum played so much better than Haskins with the same exact variables?

Don’t get me wrong, Redskins are one of the most **** franchises, but let’s NOT polish a turd. Haskins is absolute trash.

You are comparing a how ever many year NFL vet with a rookie that had played 15 total games since HS?

really? And what exactly did Keenum win? Wasn’t he 1-6 or whatever?

Plus he had the Skins w Gruden and at their healthiest. Not a good comparison.

I don’t think you understand what “raw” means in the NFL. Honestly.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

you mean like Alex Smith?

And Tua? You want the guy that keeps getting hurt at the college level? How do you think his body will hold up at the NFL level?

No way.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

OV >>>>>> Crosby
May 3, 2010
Charlottesville,VA
You are comparing a how ever many year NFL vet with a rookie that had played 15 total games since HS?

really? And what exactly did Keenum win? Wasn’t he 1-6 or whatever?

Plus he had the Skins w Gruden and at their healthiest. Not a good comparison.

I don’t think you understand what “raw” means in the NFL. Honestly.

I have eyes that can see the day and night difference between the two. Now what does that say about Haskins that he looks shit relative to a below average journey man QB?

Now let’s compare Haskins to Jones or Murray... why are they exponentially better with garbage teams around them?

You know why?!? Because they’re not a low IQ with shit mechanics.

What facet of Haskins game impresses you? I have seen none. And don’t use the “raw” excuse... every single rookie QB is raw.

He’s more a product of the offense of machine they were running at Ohio State. Every single QB that came from there looked great, but none ever made it in the NFL.

Reactions: Corby78

CaptainAmerica

OV >>>>>> Crosby
May 3, 2010
Charlottesville,VA
you mean like Alex Smith?

And Tua? You want the guy that keeps getting hurt at the college level? How do you think his body will hold up at the NFL level?

No way.

Tua’s hip injury scares me a bit for sure, but he’s 10s the QB Haskins ever will be.

Edit: And really? You wanna bring up Alex “Mediocre” Smith? The same Alex Smith that couldn’t sling the ball more than 10 yards at the 49ers so he got traded? And then again traded from the Chiefs cause he was believed to be a weakness? Plus it’s not like he ever played better than subpar for us, so don’t think that’s a good example.

Even if he was on the same level as Alex Smith (which he isn’t), is that the ceiling you want for your franchise QB?

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I have eyes that can see the day and night difference between the two. Now what does that say about Haskins that he looks **** relative to a below average journey man QB?

Now let’s compare Haskins to Jones or Murray... why are they exponentially better with garbage teams around them?

You know why?!? Because they’re not a low IQ with **** mechanics.

What facet of Haskins game impresses you? I have seen none. And don’t use the “raw” excuse... every single rookie QB is raw.

He’s more a product of the offense of machine they were running at Ohio State. Every single QB that came from there looked great, but none ever made it in the NFL.

Most QBs, including ones from great programs, have a tendency to fail. OSU is hardly unique nor an outlier. There is no program that reliably churns out successful NFL QBs. With the failure rate of 1st round QB selections (probably because they get rushed into games too soon) in general, it's not surprising at all. Even Alabama QBs aren't thriving in the NFL.

The biggest difference between Jones, Murray, and Haskins is experience. That matters a ton and you really shouldn't underestimate it. Both of them have more than double Haskins' experience.

You are being overly harsh on Haskins. He's doomed, but it's not like he's a talentless hack, nor do I see a low-IQ player either.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
To further break down why holding his college and their QB record against him/them is unfair:

In general, only FBS and FCS schools produce QBs. So that's a talent pool of ~253 QBs who might be draft eligible in any given year. Of that pool of players, out of those who enter the draft, only about 12-15 will be drafted with a handful being signed later. So in any year, over 95% of QBs don't go to the NFL. If you look at draft history for QB, the mix of schools producing drafted QBs is very diverse and ranges from Harvard to Alabama. Of those 5% of QBs, most of them will fail at having a sustained career in the NFL. In some years, out of a dozen players drafted, only 1 or 2 have a successful career rather than burning out in a season or two. It is a high-failure position; the list of NFL teams with settled long-term good QBs is really not that long.

There is no consistent QB factory (Though Clemson might make a claim soon). So, judging QBs based on their program is kind of a folly. Judging them on their own merits is far wiser. Holding any school responsible for not churning out NFL QBs doesn't make sense. Even the big programs that contend annually don't do it. OSU is not unique. Haskins shouldn't be penalized for going there.

CaptainAmerica

OV >>>>>> Crosby
May 3, 2010
Charlottesville,VA
Most QBs, including ones from great programs, have a tendency to fail. OSU is hardly unique nor an outlier. There is no program that reliably churns out successful NFL QBs. With the failure rate of 1st round QB selections (probably because they get rushed into games too soon) in general, it's not surprising at all. Even Alabama QBs aren't thriving in the NFL.

The biggest difference between Jones, Murray, and Haskins is experience. That matters a ton and you really shouldn't underestimate it. Both of them have more than double Haskins' experience.

You are being overly harsh on Haskins. He's doomed, but it's not like he's a talentless hack, nor do I see a low-IQ player either.

Im not sure about that. I want to like the guy, but he’s trash.

Maybe I’ll eat crow down the road (and I would gladly), but I don’t see him succeeding in this league.

I haven’t seen Haskins throw more than a handful NFL caliber passes in all the games he’s played. He just doesn’t look like a NFL quarterback.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Im not sure about that. I want to like the guy, but he’s trash.

Maybe I’ll eat crow down the road (and I would gladly), but I don’t see him succeeding in this league.

I haven’t seen Haskins throw more than a handful NFL caliber passes in all the games he’s played. He just doesn’t look like a NFL quarterback.

He's almost certainly going to fail in this league. The cards are stacked against him, heavily. Especially since he's been drafted by an absolute dumpster fire.

Your approach as to why he will fail is suspect. You should not hold any players' school against them. There just isn't a correlation.

CaptainAmerica

OV >>>>>> Crosby
May 3, 2010
Charlottesville,VA
He's almost certainly going to fail in this league. The cards are stacked against him, heavily. Especially since he's been drafted by an absolute dumpster fire.

Your approach as to why he will fail is suspect. You should not hold any players' school against them. There just isn't a correlation.

I’m not holding against the school per say, but the style of offense. Urban likes to spread the field which really doesn’t work in the NFL.

We will see though, I know I’m coming across as super critical, but I just haven’t seen anything from him that gives me hope.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I’m not holding against the school per say, but the style of offense. Urban likes to spread the field which really doesn’t work in the NFL.

We will see though, I know I’m coming across as super critical, but I just haven’t seen anything from him that gives me hope.

Almost every college offense and defense doesn't work in the NFL; I think you'll drive yourself nuts if you worry about that with prospects. No matter who they are or where they come from, they're gonna be taking a quantum leap in systems.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Even his TDs left a lot to be desired.

1) To Guice who did all the work to get in the in-zone:

2) Lame duck wobble that was almost under thrown on a pass that travelled no more than 15 yards.

He’s complete garbage

any other hot takes of wisdom you care to share?

Not saying he won’t bust, but seems a little convenient to be making proclamations so early.
He’s about as inexperienced as an NFL starter can get and he plays in Toxic City.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I have eyes that can see the day and night difference between the two. Now what does that say about Haskins that he looks **** relative to a below average journey man QB?

You know why?!? Because they’re not a low IQ with **** mechanics.

Murray is playing in a similar system in the NFL that he played in College and Jones was a 3 year starter in college for a HC that taught Peyton and Eli Manning how to play QB. Not a fair comparison to Haskins. Also, I’d love for you to get more specific on why Haskins mechanics are shit.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Offense: Haskins, McLaurin, Guice, Love, Flowers, Christian, Harmon

Defense: Allen, Payne, Ioannidis, Sweat, Kerrigan (maybe), Foster, Holcomb, Collins, Dunbar, Moreland, Everett

ST: Hopkins, Way, Sundberg

Everyone else can go, please and thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad