OT: Washington Redskins 2018 Season Vol. 5: Shards and puddles (7-9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
One of the Ryan Twins being named ILB coach is a big meh from me and more proof the Skins need to scrape the bottom of the barrel to fill some of their coaching vacancies.

Took me until now to comment on this hire because I had to wait to stop the eye rolling that started once I heard Rob was hired yesterday.

Rex and Rob are two of the most overrated coaches in NFL history.

So he's the perfect DC for the Skins.

Reactions: Jacoby4HOF66

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
McCoy gives any reasonably intelligent fan cause for optimism because it signals that they’re willing to have a down year so they can attempt to fix the QB situation for the next decade plus.

Only morons are hopping the Redskins scratch and claw to 7-9 again.

Optimism that they can suddenly get the QB pick right on their next try? Over the last 30+ years they’ve hit on one, and summarily f***ed that up. That should be the concern of everyone. I sure hope there are a handful of guaranteed franchise QB’s after this tank season you’re envisioning. I don't think even with McCoy they’re bad enough to get a top-2/3 pick.

I don’t see anyone clamoring for 7-9, but I’ll take a playoff qualifier, which with the current roster and a good QB, they could be next year.

I’d have some faith in your plan with a real Football mind running the show. As is, they’ll have to suck and get lucky. Worked for McPhee right? ;) just might have to wait 10 years for it to pan out.

Last edited:

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Optimism that they can suddenly get the QB pick right on their next try? Over the last 30+ years they’ve hit on one, and summarily ****ed that up. That should be the concern of everyone. I sure hope there are a handful of guaranteed franchise QB’s after this tank season you’re envisioning. I don't think even with McCoy they’re bad enough to get a top-2/3 pick.

I don’t see anyone clamoring for 7-9, but I’ll take a playoff qualifier, which with the current roster and a good QB, they could be next year.

I’d have some faith in your plan with a real Football mind running the show. As is, they’ll have to suck and get lucky. Worked for McPhee right? ;) just might have to wait 10 years for it to pan out.

I think the part you’re not understanding is the top three QBs for 2020 would all go over any QB from this year’s class. The Skins would need to lose enough to get a top-3 pick (or close to it and trade up). If they managed to pull that off it would be pretty straightforward - use the pick on a top QB in 2020. It’s one of the big problems with 15OA this year. You’d have to add a ton to move up and take one of the top QBs and that player is probably less valuable than next year’s talent at the position anyways. So it’d be much more costly in terms of draft capital and much more risky from a prospect perspective.

The only part of the plan that is sketchy is actually losing next year and not winding up milling around .500 again. The Redskins plan going in this year should be to lose football games. If they do that then in exactly one year the entire organization could have a much rosier outlook. A team with Allen, Payne, Scherf and Guice all in their primes plus a top 3 QB from the 2020 draft has an excellent backbone to compete imo. Plus you get to add this year’s first rounder to that list.

In all honesty the Skins aren’t bereft of talent across the board like they have been in the recent past. They have some solid young pieces - if you add a franchise QB that roster starts to look viable.

The two options seem to be sign a Dalton or reach for a QB this year in hopes of being a fringe playoff team, or actively tank for a year and potentially set yourself up for a decade plus of real contention.

Not sure how that decision sounds to you, but for me it’s a no-brainer...

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So you expect all 3 of those are going to be long-term successful franchise QB’s? Color me skeptical after being an NFL fan for a long time. And....I did say top 2 or 3.

Now all they have to do is suck bad enough. I’d love to get lucky for once as a Skins fan, but building your entire strategy around that is scary.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
So you expect all 3 of those are going to be long-term successful franchise QB’s? Color me skeptical after being an NFL fan for a long time. And....I did say top 2 or 3.

Now all they have to do is suck bad enough. I’d love to get lucky for once as a Skins fan, but building your entire strategy around that is scary.

It’s building a strategy around what is happening rn with the org. If Smith wasn’t injured we could be drafting a mid-1st project and giving him time to get some seasoning as understudy to a real pro. As it stands Smith’s career is in jeopardy and most don’t expect him back next year - so you change your plans.

I was totally fine with the Redskins hovering above mediocrity in a layer called respectability - it’s been so long since they’ve had an era of sustained “not suck”, I was of the mind that getting over the long string of losing culture was worth sacrificing some organizational upside. That’s why I was adamant we should have paid to keep Cousins even after the bargain period of signing him had come and gone.

The Smith injury and the subsequent roster and cap crunches it creates means the Redskins need to rethink their immediate plans. Instead of putting a band-aid on it I think they should start a McCoy/Sanchez/Johnson type for a year and actively try to lose games. Look at the new Miami regime already admitting that they’re gonna lose a lot in the immediate future.

It makes Kenny Rogers, and people like me, very upset when you stay in on the pot even though you’ve got a losing hand. The Redskins should “fold” on 2019. It’s really a simple strategy that even Micro-P and his lackies should be able to wrap their tiny heads around. The current Skins vs a potential Skins with a top pick in the 2020 draft are similarly different to the Browns before and after drafting Baker Mayfield.

It’s a relatively easy fix (lose games) on a relatively short timeline (one year). The only question is can Micro, Allen and Gruden get on the same page. If they can I’d say the first signal would be us trading away win-now players like Kerrigan and Silverback. That’s the “tell” I’ll be looking for.

Signing Dalton w/o a first round QB in the fold would be a signal that the Redskins are going to try and sastify the remaining losers who still show up for the games, such as yourself, and don’t have a long - or short - term plan.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Fan expectations couldn’t be lower. If those next year QB’s are indeed franchise-level, they should tank but I fear they won’t.

Just don’t lump me in with people who go to games. I wouldn’t go to Fedex for free today. I would however take a credible QB tomorrow and be fine trying to build a winner that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bananas

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
There is not a snowballs chance in H E double hockey sticks that the Skins are smart enough to tank next year. Bruce thinks we were close, just 2 games away from making the playoffs.

The closest we will come to tanking will be the turmoil after Jay is dispatched. I believe his contract is up next year.....

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
It’s not just Allen who thinks the Skins are “close”. LiL Danny does as well and his opinion is the only one that matters.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
If alex Smith doesn't get hurt are we even having this conversation? Very likely skins get into playoffs and you all would be saying they could win division again

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If alex Smith doesn't get hurt are we even having this conversation? Very likely skins get into playoffs and you all would be saying they could win division again
Very likely? I doubt it. They were paper tigers, not real contenders. Alex Smith doesn't change the result of either Philadelphia game. Maybe the Giants game isn't a total embarrassment, but a 40 point swing is a pretty big ask.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Our OL was decimated with injuries. Even with our OL at its best, our games were won via the run, not by Alex Smith. Once the OL tapped out, our run game did as well. CT being out / injured most of the year hurt our team as much as losing Alex for half of it. Just like the year before, no CT made our offense inept. With Cousins.

I did get a laugh at hearing Norman working Bruce by saying we would have won the bowl if Alex stayed healthy. Look for Normal to be an assistant coach here if Bruce is still around after he retires. Oh and look for an extension for Norman.

Reactions: Hivemind

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
It’s not just Allen who thinks the Skins are “close”. LiL Danny does as well and his opinion is the only one that matters.

This is actually a great indication that the tank is “on” lol.

My dream is actually a Sanchez v Johnson training camp battle with the guy who plays worse “winning” the job.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Smith was a lot more than just the QB. He was their leader and the glue. Big time.

His loss wasn’t just on the field. In fact, I’d argue it was just as much off the field (in the room) as on it. The team literally fell apart once he went down. Completely.

Sure, it was a house of cards — a paper tiger — smoke and mirrors — whatever you want to call it. But his injury immediately ended it all as it immediately exposed the ugly underbelly if the program. In like 10 minutes.

So nevermind the positional loss, which was gruesome (the turnovers alone from the QB’s post Smith sank them), the loss of cohesion, faith, confidence and unity was just as bad.

Smith plays all 16 and I think the team is 9-7. Maybe better. At least 8-8. For sure they win AT LEAST one more game. Probably 2. Easily.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
This is actually a great indication that the tank is “on” lol.

My dream is actually a Sanchez v Johnson training camp battle with the guy who plays worse “winning” the job.

No it isn't. This is an indication that the team has 20 mil tied up in a QB that cannot play so they are interested in a signing a back up QB they can get for the Vet minimum.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

Yes the conversation on here would be different and yes the Skins would of probably made the playoffs if he didn't get hurt. But the conversation wouldn't be dominated about if they would make the playoffs again necessarily. Hurt or not Smith is still 34 years old so discussing whether the Skins should draft his successor would be a topic of conversation to be sure. And then there are glaring holes at WR, on the OL and in the secondary. Without addressing the huge holes at those 3 positions making the playoffs again would be a long shot.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Maybe we should release Alex Smith, if the Dolphins dumped Tanner.

His injury and his cap hit - it's the perfect scenario to tank, but we aren't smart enough to go that.

Reactions: Jacoby4HOF66
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad