OT: Washington Redskins 2018 Season Vol. 5: Shards and puddles (7-9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Vol. 4

giphy.gif

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
If you don’t have an NFL-level starter, do upgrades to LG, CB, ILB matter?

Ask GB.

Skins situation is unique to be sure but with Smith being 34 he was going to need to be replaced sooner than later if he didn’t get hurt. Might as well start now with a rookie and finish filling out the roster.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I have a feeling we are going to get screwed on the calls this league. Yes, the league doesn't think the Josh Johnson feel good story is worth telling, with all the negative publicity we generate for the league. They do NOT want our season prolonged.

Titans 19, Redskins 5.

Lets go get Josh Gordon.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I have a feeling we are going to get screwed on the calls this league. Yes, the league doesn't think the Josh Johnson feel good story is worth telling, with all the negative publicity we generate for the league. They do NOT want our season prolonged.

Titans 19, Redskins 5.

Lets go get Josh Gordon.

Just for shits and giggles I looked it up and yes, there has been a game that has ended 19-5:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Philadelphia Eagles - September 19th, 1999 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Reactions: RandyHolt

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Any NFL cap gurus out there who can spell out how the team can work around all the remaining guaranteed money on Alex Smith's deal? Seems like Smith's injury is going to prevent them from being competitive for several more seasons.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Any NFL cap gurus out there who can spell out how the team can work around all the remaining guaranteed money on Alex Smith's deal? Seems like Smith's injury is going to prevent them from being competitive for several more seasons.

No cap guru but its pretty clear the Skins are screwed and they did it to themselves. Smith has a dead cap number of 42 mil next year, I think I said 49 mil before but I was wrong. They can trade him, cut him, he can retire or he stays on the team. No one would trade for him so forget that. If they cut him that dead money can be spread over 2 years but that comes out to 21 mil a year. I believe if he retires it would be the same as if he is cut, I'll have to look into that, so thats out of the question. His cap hit next year if he is on the team, PUP list most likely, is 20.4 mil. Smith's 2020 dead cap hit is only 16 mil, that would work out to 8 mil a year for two years if he is cut or retires.

The best case scenario is to keep him on the team. Like what Philly did with Chris Pronger. As for how long Smith's situation will handcuff the Skins, it looks like 2019 will be the only year cap wise Smith's situation will have a negative effect. After 2019 the guaranteed money in Smith's extension comes off the books and his dead money value drops way down to 16 mil or 8 mil spread over two years. Way more manageable.

One ray of hope is that after this season it will be economical to cut Josh Norman. He will have a 14 mil cap hit next year but only a 6 mil dead cap figure. So if they cut him after this season that should free up 11 mil in cap space with the 6 mil dead cap figure reduced to 3 mil for 2019 and 2020.

Last edited:

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
More cap related news, since I am in the zone looking this crap up, is that after this season Jordan Reed's dead cap hit drops 10 mil down to 3.6 mil after this season. Thats 1.8 mil a year over 2 years against Reed's cap hit of 9.7 mil next year and 10.3 mil in 2020 or potential cap savings of 7.9 mil in 2019 and 8.5 in 2020. Making Reed another potential casualty of the Alex Smith situation.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
More cap related news, since I am in the zone looking this crap up, is that after this season Jordan Reed's dead cap hit drops 10 mil down to 3.6 mil after this season. Thats 1.8 mil a year over 2 years against Reed's cap hit of 9.7 mil next year and 10.3 mil in 2020 or potential cap savings of 7.9 mil in 2019 and 8.5 in 2020. Making Reed another potential casualty of the Alex Smith situation.

I’ve been assuming Reed is gone or back on a severely reworked deal.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Okay random out there thought for the the future QB situation. Why not give Bo Levi Mitchell a work out and see where it goes. CFL MVP he has ample of experience. He's obviously not the caliber needed to start in the NFL but after learning a system I could see him being a good and steady #2. Might be nice to have in the background.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Take the fastest route out of Smith’s contract capwise, trade Silverback and Kerrigan, and trade or cut Brown, Norman and Reed. Trade down as much as possible and continue adding young, big boys to the roster. Tank next year hard and then snag a QB at the top of the 2020 draft. At that point we should have some depth and a ton of cap space to add some solid veterans. Stay away from any huge FA contracts.

With two draft classes of players and a top end rookie QB, the Redskins could be 18 games away from having an exciting, young roster.

Staying in mediocre land is pointless. Just take a gander down the road at Les Boulez.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
They can't just trade people away for picks that easy. Teams incur cap penalties on trades as well depending on how the players contract is structured.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
You also can't trade away your captains and the only guys that have been rays of light during an otherwise dark and stormy era. Trent and Kerrigan should be the building blocks... not trade chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad