OT: Washington Redskins 2018 Season: Mr. Smith Goes To Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Signing these cut guys is genius since they don’t impact compesatory picks. They’re stop-gap JAGs and NFL flotsam, but you always need a certain amount of bodies in the modern NFL meat grinder.

Hopefully someone is listening to the arguments some of you are making about Breeland and signs him to more than a prove-it deal. We needed him to cancel out the Richardson signing. Whining about losing him hopefully drums up his value, so keep doing it. I for one am not gonna miss that bozo.

Making all offseason moves based on compensatory pick matrix...
thXO0MXF5O.jpg

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Making all offseason moves based on compensatory pick matrix...
View attachment 106103

Still pining for the days when Redskins One took to the skies and the steaks piled up high and the wine flowed freely? Thanks, I’m all set on that era’s “strategy”...

And yes this is precisely the kind of year to be focused on comp picks. We just lost a Pro Bowl QB in his prime to FA lol...if we play our cards right we could be looking at 3-4 extra draft picks next year. That’s a big deal and definitely a step in the right direction in terms of this moribund franchise setting it’s priorities.

Next year we can/should be a little more aggressive... this is a year to get younger, gain draft picks, and to see if Gruden/Smith is at all viable.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Still pining for the days when Redskins One took to the skies and the steaks piled up high and the wine flowed freely? Thanks, I’m all set on that era’s “strategy”...

And yes this is precisely the kind of year to be focused on comp picks. We just lost a Pro Bowl QB in his prime to FA lol...if we play our cards right we could be looking at 3-4 extra draft picks next year. That’s a big deal and definitely a step in the right direction in terms of this moribund franchise setting it’s priorities.

Next year we can/should be a little more aggressive... this is a year to get younger, gain draft picks, and to see if Gruden/Smith is at all viable.

Not pining for those days at all. I'm still waiting for a front office that makes smart moves towards making a team better. Not looking for has beens or payers on the cheep because they are injury prone just to fill a roster and maybe play .500 ball. We don't have Belicheck or Brady, we can't go around low balling people and expect people to want to play here. The Redskins franchise has sucked for decades now and players now it.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

Not sure some at Redskins Park can afford to scrounge now in the hopes of obtaining magical comp picks next year. Ben Standig has sources saying heads could roll if the Skins miss the playoffs again:

Multiple sources around the league believe the Redskins would consider making organizational changes if the team misses the postseason for a third consecutive year.

That was in a story about the Skins QB quest this offseason on The Sports Capitol.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Not sure some at Redskins Park can afford to scrounge now in the hopes of obtaining magical comp picks next year. Ben Standig has sources saying heads could roll if the Skins miss the playoffs again:

That was in a story about the Skins QB quest this offseason on The Sports Capitol.

If by heads they mean Jay then that's dumb... he's done a lot to keep this dumpster fire of an organization competitive through all the nonsense. If by heads he means Bruce then I'm rooting for them to lose.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Not pining for those days at all. I'm still waiting for a front office that makes smart moves towards making a team better. Not looking for has beens or payers on the cheep because they are injury prone just to fill a roster and maybe play .500 ball. We don't have Belicheck or Brady, we can't go around low balling people and expect people to want to play here. The Redskins franchise has sucked for decades now and players now it.

Look if the Redskins are trying to win now and build a great team for next year then they are sucking at it and I’m right there with you.

If this is a deliberate plan to build through the draft, have a stable coaching/QB situation and not overpay for people who COST US DRAFT PICKS then I’m going to applaud the effort big time.

If they field an uncompetitive roster and turn around and expect miracles from the coaches...or else - then it’s sooo the Redskins.

My take so far is that they’re turning a corner of sorts organizationaly and philosophically. If they dumpster dive their comp picks into oblivion and then turn around and blame Gruden and Alex Smith for not being world-beating heroes - at that point I’m basically ready to move on from the Redskins franchise after all these years of being an extremely loyal supporter. They’ll quite frankly be dead to me...

Do it the right way - which is a stable, draft-centric way. These guys are the anti-Caps. If the roles were reversed I’d say a franchise like the Skins should keep a Trotz just because he’s absolutely achieved “respectable”. When it comes to the Redskins you grade on the scale of, “OK, guys, try not to suck for a while, please.”

The Caps should be full-throttle towards the ultimate goal whereas the Skins just need to just quit being a goddamned laughingstock....

Last edited:
Reactions: Corby78

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
If by heads they mean Jay then that's dumb... he's done a lot to keep this dumpster fire of an organization competitive through all the nonsense. If by heads he means Bruce then I'm rooting for them to lose.

I agree but something tells me barring a serious meltdown Bruce is going nowhere until a new stadium, with favorable terms for LiL Danny, is secured.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Cousins with about a 30-50% greater cap hit than Smith, but with a lot of similar stats.

I'll take Smith.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Cousins with about a 30-50% greater cap hit than Smith, but with a lot of similar stats.

I'll take Smith.

Especially since Cousins didn’t even appear to be an option no matter what. It was very effective damage control by the brass. Once again largely self inflicted damage, however. So it’s not like you can really laud them too much and, in fact, the Cousins situation playing out the way it did would have cost people their jobs in almost any other environment outside of Redskins Park.

It’s way too early to call, but the earliest indications are that the Redskins appear to be thinking on their toes for a change. Perhaps the personal nature of the Cousins/Allen rift has lit a fire under Allen “on the field”, where the results have been mediocre to dismal in his time here.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I would rather take a strong DL at 13 and take a CB later.

Yeah I feel like drafting heavy is the look also...

CB is an important position though. As long as they knock it out of the park in terms of the player’s quality, practically any position could be put to good use.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I would rather take a strong DL at 13 and take a CB later.

A lot honestly depends on the remaining FA period. Obv a guy like Hankins significantly lowers the need for DL at #13.

The other side of it...is if you can get THE best player at a position, and he's a stud, you do that as well. Skins havent really had a dominant CB since Darrell left....(yes, they've had some good ones, but not a guy that prevented people from throwing to his side of the field). If this guy can bring that, then they need to get him.

I dont think any of us will be upset if they get a dominant defensive player. DL, LB, CB, or S. Just dont get it wrong.

Just like Ripened Fruit stated above.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
so the lions brought in sylvester williams and hankins for visits. signed williams, didnt sign hankins

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Yeah, I think they've just got to take the biggest impact talent available and it seems likely to either be a DB or maybe LB. Though with what they've been saying about drafting a RB early I wouldn't put it past them either taking one at 13 (telegraphing it) or maybe trading down a bit to do so.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think our first should go to make Smith successful here. Be it an OL, all down back, TE.... corner mourner. We have Fabian, right? Holsey, Dunbar. Trade down if we are eyeballing a corner at 13. I feel like corners are victims of scheme and are often not used to their strengths. Rarely will a DC shape his D around a corner. If he is the missing piece, maybe. But I am not buying it as we approach a decade of running a 3-4 without a proper NT. Good corners become bad corners without a proper DL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad