Washington REALLY helped by Kempny trade

coolhand

Jan 20, 2016
Streamwood, IL
Yet Q continued to give Keith regular shifts even though he was absolutely terrible all season long. I get his seniority and all that he's done for the team over the years but there were some games where I wondered if Keith even cared if he was playing or not.

Reactions: LordKOTL

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Shockingly, I'm still waiting for one of the 3 people who actually thought Kempny was a bad hockey player to come in here parading their nonsensical opinion of him. We've gone what? Close to twenty posts without it yet?

The big question remains though: Why is Q so clueless about what makes a good dman and especially how to deploy who he has to work with. It's baffling to me....

And regardless of what some say, the Organization's dysfunction, between Q and Stan especially, is hard to ignore.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
The big question remains though. Why is Q so clueless about what makes a good dman and especially how to deploy who he has to work with. It's baffling to me....

And regardless of what some say, the Organization's dysfunction, between Q and Stan especially, is hard to ignore.

If Q refuses to play players who leave and become NHL player it says way more about him than anyone else. It is a joke he is still the coach, a f***ing joke.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Bowman dials up Q on the mustache phone - ring ring
- Q- "Yeahhh, hello"
GM -" Hey Coach, what you doing tonight?"
Q- "Mmmm, I don't know might walk the dog for a bit then check out that new Netflix series Lost in Space....have you seen it yet Scotty?"
GM - "It's Stan coach, my name is Stan"..."No, sorry, I have been busy getting ready for the draft, free agency, hockey operation stuff"..."Have you caught any of the playoffs so far?"
Q- "Mmmm, a few games here or there I guess" ....
GM-"I see, have you caught any of the Caps games yet coach?"
Q"- Mmmmm, NO" .....
GM-"yeah it is pretty crazy, they are just a few wins away from a Cup Final, and Kempny has been doing really well there, I am happy for him"
Q- "Mmmm Who is Kempny?"
GM-"Michal Kempny, he played defense for us this year, until I had to trade him away for a pick" ...."We got him from the Czech Republic, remember?"
Q-"Ahhhh, Oh, you mean Rozi!! Yeah, happy for him, good to hear!!"
GM- "No, coach, Rozi was the guy you over played on 1 leg, and Kempny is the guy you never played in any meaningful way or form here...but yes, from the same country"
Q- "Did he have a brother?"
GM - "I don't know if he has a brother coach, what does that have to do with anything?"
Q- "Mmmm I had a brother once, my mustache never liked him, so we haven't talked in 30 years"
GM - "Wow, I am sorry to hear that coach, did your mustache not like Kempny?"
Q- "Errrr... Who the f*** is Kempny, Scotty??"
GM - "I am putting in my resignation and going to take the vacancy in Carolina"
Q- "Good luck to you Scotty, I am going to walk my dog now"

....something like that..it just works better if you actually imagine Q saying this shit in his gravel ass voice..lol!

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Perfect! Here's exhibit 1 in the Q's lost it case.
But it's a misqualified thought. Its been showing up plenty with fans saying hes 1st pair dman with all the laughs or anger...

I know perception is everything and John Carlson gets the big name cred so people assume he is the defacto 1 or top pair. But by no objective measure this season or playoffs any game has he been. That's like calling Oduya at times the 1st pair and they opened up plenty games even played tougher matchups. Orlov-niskenen is clear ahead the top pair.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Orlov's game leaves a lot to be desired without the puck., but he has offensive talent. Stan's kinda guy. He is a weak link of Caps defensive game. Kempny is better in his own end but Orlov has him offensively.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
But it's a misqualified thought. Its been showing up plenty with fans saying hes 1st pair dman with all the laughs or anger...

I know perception is everything and John Carlson gets the big name cred so people assume he is the defacto 1 or top pair. But by no objective measure this season or playoffs any game has he been. That's like calling Oduya at times the 1st pair and they opened up plenty games even played tougher matchups. Orlov-niskenen is clear ahead the top pair.
Carlson has been playing over 26 minutes a night - he is the #1 dog, period. Putting Kempny with Carlson says a lot. It doesn't mean Kempny is going to eat those minutes as well, but it is telling that Trotz has the confidence to play him alongside Carlson.

Niskanen and Orlov are a great pair, and likely why the Caps can let Carlson go in the off season...but for right now, any pair that has Carlson on it is the #1 pair.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Any pair top matchup top even strength ice time and used that way is absolutely #1.

Carlson has 26 mins... Niskanen does too, and slightly more than Carlson. Orlov has 25. Then Kempny has 17.

Even strength in the playoffs Niskanen 22mins, orlov 21 and Carlson at 19. Theres no measure other than name credential to call Carlson the #1 dman.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Any pair top matchup top even strength ice time and used that way is absolutely #1.

Carlson has 26 mins... Niskanen does too, and slightly more than Carlson. Orlov has 25. Then Kempny has 17.

Even strength in the playoffs Niskanen 22mins, orlov 21 and Carlson at 19. Theres no measure other than name credential to call Carlson the #1 dman.
Niskanen is like Hammer, he does a great job, is the glue guy, and does the little things that helps the team win in all situations, BUT HE ISN'T THE #1 DMAN THERE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD..

He is about 1 year removed from everyone on the Caps board calling his contract horrendous - he is a great soldier who is underrated, but not going to argue over someone else's treasure...

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Yes and if Hammer for a full season played more minutes than Keith, largely with another Dman, both total and icetime and even strength time.

I would declare that entirely inaccurate to call Keith the #1 dman. Last year, perception, etc. Shouldn't matter when the point of these terms is usage. I'm not sure what other basis it can go off.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Yes and if Hammer for a full season played more minutes than Keith, largely with another Dman, both total and icetime and even strength time.

I would declare that entirely inaccurate to call Keith the #1 dman. Last year, perception, etc. Shouldn't matter when the point of these terms is usage. I'm not sure what other basis it can go off.

I thought for a few year stretch that Hammer was our best defensemen...period.

I can see the same being said for Niskanen as he just does a lot of the smaller unseen things that helps the team win, but Carlson is a game changer and does things that Niskanen simply can't do. As I said there are going to be fans of both who will say each is the #1 dog...

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Hjalmarsson was never our #1Dman IMO, he didn't have the offense needed to be that.

Niskanen has much more offense to his game, so easier to give him that title if deserved.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Yet Q continued to give Keith regular shifts even though he was absolutely terrible all season long. I get his seniority and all that he's done for the team over the years but there were some games where I wondered if Keith even cared if he was playing or not.

There is not enough Like on HFBoards for this post.

I'm glad Kempny moved on to a winning team. I just hope we don't lose more potentially-good D-men by them being misused and abused by what passes for a "system" for the 'hawks nowadays.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Hjalmarsson was never our #1Dman IMO, he didn't have the offense needed to be that.

Niskanen has much more offense to his game, so easier to give him that title if deserved.

Hammer still to this day is beyond underrated here, his offensive game was fine, upper 30's to 40 point player same as Niskanen...

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Hammer is not a 30-40pt player. His best season he somehow managed a 26pt season. Niskanen is much better offensively.
yes, I typed it wrong meant between 20-30 point player, not much of a difference between the two...Niskanen has been under 40 points every year but one...I agree he is better offensively than Hammer, but the margin isn't that much different.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
yes, I typed it wrong meant between 20-30 point player, not much of a difference between the two...Niskanen has been under 40 points every year but one...I agree he is better offensively than Hammer, but the margin isn't that much different.
I would say Hammer is 15-25pt player max. He never did, and never will hit 30pts. Niskanen is (or was) a 30-40pt player. Pretty big difference IMO.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I would say Hammer is 15-25pt player max. He never did, and never will hit 30pts. Niskanen is (or was) a 30-40pt player. Pretty big difference IMO.
Niskanen has had 2 seasons over 35 points, as I said he is better but it isn't by much considering their usage where Hammer was in the shutdown role and Niskanen was not for his first 4 plus seasons..

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Niskanen has had 2 seasons over 35 points, as I said he is better but it isn't by much considering their usage where Hammer was in the shutdown role and Niskanen was not for his first 4 plus seasons..
Niskanen has had 6 seasons with 29+ pts, compared to Hammers 0. Yes, Hjalmarsson was put in a defensive role, but for good reason. Limited offense and great defensively. Niskanen has been used in both roles, because he has offense to his game, and is solid defensively.

For me it's not really that close, Niskanen is much better offensively.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I still wonder what Hjalmarsson would've done had he gotten any PP time. Kid had a very good slap shot and it was hard and accurate when he actually did shoot it.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Hammer was as good as Keith if not better in his own zone depending on the year, he was a rock back there. O zone that’s another story, that was not really his job though. People like to just say he is done and useless now, basing it on one year in Arizona is stupid and I am sure most making this claim have watched what a handful of games of his this year if that? I dont buy it, he was the second best D on this team even in 2016-17, had maybe a down last month or two and that apparently was concrete proof for some here to validate the Stan’s trade and affirm that hammer was washed out garbage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad