Washington REALLY helped by Kempny trade

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Where are all the Pirri/Hayes fanboys? Oh they vanished

Kempny's play is nothing special and its laughable as always how the Anti-Q faction is playing him up to be Bobby Orr 2.0

We saw same with Pirri and Hayes fanboys who wouldn't shut up about how them a few years back until suddenly they vanished as quickly as Hayes/Pirri did from everyday NHL lineups and NHL scoresheets
I don't think anyone is saying Kempny is going to win the Conn Smythe. All that's being pointed out is that he deserved more of an opportunity. He wasn't put in a position to succeed. Think of some of the players who were getting on the ice before Kempny the past 2 years.

coolhand

Jan 20, 2016
Streamwood, IL
I remember watching a Caps game right before the playoffs, and seeing Kempny skating out there and how good he looked...I made a comment on it that the announcers (who were opposing teams announcers) speaking glowingly to Kempny as well, and how he transformed that Caps d around...another poster posted the same thing I did as well, as obviously something is happening there in Washington that others haven't been hearing and we both thought the board should be hearing how well he was doing in Washington..

and not sure what poster(s) it was, started claiming how minimally used Kempny was and that the announcers were just talking up their own player...well had to let them know it wasn't Caps announcers either..hahaha...point is, there are some who still have their head up their ass on Kempny on our board, tried pointing it out a few months ago how well Kempny was playing for the Caps, but they tried everything they could to derail it...probably BWC and maybe Clyde I think...and if wrong my apologies, I forget who posts bull**** at times!

We were happy we got a 3rd for Kempny because of how he was poorly utilized by Q, now we are sad that is all we got as Trotz has used him the right way making him easily worth a 2nd round pick right now. Damn shame a team with this much trouble on defense had to trade away a solid player who simply was never given a chance by a dinosaur Alzheimer patient of a coach..

That was me AmericanDream, we were watching the same Caps Devils game and Danyko was the one saying how Kempny helped the Caps' D. I never thought he was terrible, but all of the Hawks dmen looked bad this year. Was it the system? The coaching? The constant shuffling of pairs? I really think Q made a mess of the team this season and Kempny was a casualty. He's not mad about it now I think though.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Was never a fanboy of either one. And hyperbole much? Calling him a good 4 or 5 is playing him up to be Orr 2.0? :laugh:

And if you haven't noticed, the anti-Q faction is all but a handful of people on here at this point... that's probably telling you something, huh?
is it bad that I cant remember what side of this epic battle I was on??? hahaha...was I for or against moving Jayes/Pirri.....I won't be able to sleep at night now!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I don't even remember a single person "fanboying" over Jimmy Hayes or Brandon Pirri.... not that it helps you much.

I actually liked both guys, I don't think I was jumping up or down either way like you said. Pirri you could see had some talent, and Jayes somehow is still in the league, but with Jayes I remember him coming up and doing well initially on our power play and then Q never put him back out there in front of the net..or something close to that happened with him, and that was all she wrote. Tallon wanted him, got some use out of him and then moved him on...

God did Kevin Hayes burn me though...that pissed me off for months...considering I wanted us to draft Charlie Coyle over him, just imagine if we went with Coyle and what this team would have looked like with him here. 4 Cups no damn doubt about it...so for those not thinking drafting #27-31 can lead to something, it certainly can, just have to guess right!!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
That was me AmericanDream, we were watching the same Caps Devils game and Danyko was the one saying how Kempny helped the Caps' D. I never thought he was terrible, but all of the Hawks dmen looked bad this year. Was it the system? The coaching? The constant shuffling of pairs? I really think Q made a mess of the team this season and Kempny was a casualty. He's not mad about it now I think though.
yep, it was you!!! and yes it was Kenny D talking about Kempny...better memory than me, but he looked good then and he still looks good now...outside of that stupid cross check to the face he did yesterday, he has played very well for the Caps.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Where are all the Pirri/Hayes fanboys? Oh they vanished

Kempny's play is nothing special and its laughable as always how the Anti-Q faction is playing him up to be Bobby Orr 2.0

We saw same with Pirri and Hayes fanboys who wouldn't shut up about how them a few years back until suddenly they vanished as quickly as Hayes/Pirri did from everyday NHL lineups and NHL scoresheets

Really you are going to double down and try to deflect via recanting your delusional version of the past and making shit up (see the bold)? You were wrong and are still wrong. This is a recurring theme with you.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Daley wasn't on Q. He was mediocre here and there. He was injured for one Cup and a marginal liability for the other Cup. Blame Q for this, but throwing Daley at Q is nonsensical.

Reactions: clydesdale line

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL
Daley wasn't on Q. He was mediocre here and there. He was injured for one Cup and a marginal liability for the other Cup. Blame Q for this, but throwing Daley at Q is nonsensical.
I'd agree that Daley was far from central to the penguin's cup runs, I'm just saying it's a symptom of a larger problem. Part of the reason he was mediocre here was that he didn't fit Q's system, which in turn doesn't fit the style of play that succeeds in the NHL today.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Both guys are transition D that is their best asset. If either had a better Ozone game (for Daley specifically when he was here. People dont seem to talk about it but I recall the narrative of him shooting worse than Keith and never hitting net) they would of got more time.

I dont get so much blame on Q fir Daley, he wasn't being scratched or not given chances offensively and had high ozone starts but he never produced and requested to be traded in less than half a season.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Between this fiasco and Daley, this could be TWICE now that an offensive-minded Dman that Q banished to the press box went on to win a cup

The league has completely passed Q by.

Q was playing Daley in his appropriate role (As a #5) and it was Daley who demanded to be traded

Also Pens won cup without Daley so yeah his importance is very much overstated and he was awful with Hawks

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL
Q was playing Daley in his appropriate role (As a #5) and it was Daley who demanded to be traded

Also Pens won cup without Daley so yeah his importance is very much overstated and he was awful with Hawks

I get that he was injured, but he averaged 20 minutes during both playoff runs. That's second only to Letang in 2016. Also, after joining the penguins Daley had almost 4 times the points in less than double the games he played for us. It's amazing what happens when you're allowed out of the press box.

Oh and guess who averaged 2 more minutes TOI than Daley? Freaking Rozsival. Yea, I'd want to get traded too.

And I'm not even that big a fan of Daley. My central point was that Q's system is lightyears behind what wins in the NHL today. Given what has happened the past 3 seasons, I'm not sure how anyone can dispute that.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiHawks10

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Over half the games Daley played for the Hawks were before Rozi even recovered. And he started back playing low minutes, so Rozi probably had that icetime later in the season when they had less roster pieces.

There's details to that, like Rutherford when interviewed after the first cup mentioned what he saw about Daley was he prefered in Dallas playing on his off side going RD, he was LD for Q and then went back to RD more in Pitt. That likely hurt him maybe why his shot was off so often not playing the same style from the different points. There's a lot of factors of why these people act or fit differently than blanket poor expressed "outdated" it's such a lazy way of talking and sound so silly when people act like 15-16 suddenly instantly the league was changed from the season prior.

And then there are ways that the Hawks have fallen behind other teams changing nobody seems to ever mention, like there's stats on shot selection type and the Hawks for the past couple years have been top in slap shots while the league is shifting away from them, even Kempny was apart of that as his main ozone move is just slap shot on net regardless if someones near.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Caps made an underrated trade, bully for them. Other teams are allowed to make savvy moves, not just the Hawks.

Are a segment of Hawks fans only happy when they are miserable? This constant looking for anything to complain back is really annoying.

Reactions: iiStylesx and dk2k

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL
Over half the games Daley played for the Hawks were before Rozi even recovered. And he started back playing low minutes, so Rozi probably had that icetime later in the season when they had less roster pieces.

No he didn't, Rozy hit the ground running with 13 minutes TOI (Daley logged 14 minutes the same game) and had more ice time in 5 of the games that they both played, including one where he had 18 minutes to Daley's 8. That's outrageous for a 36-year-old coming off of a shattered ankle.

There's details to that, like Rutherford when interviewed after the first cup mentioned what he saw about Daley was he prefered in Dallas playing on his off side going RD, he was LD for Q and then went back to RD more in Pitt. That likely hurt him maybe why his shot was off so often not playing the same style from the different points. There's a lot of factors of why these people act or fit differently than blanket poor expressed "outdated" it's such a lazy way of talking and sound so silly when people act like 15-16 suddenly instantly the league was changed from the season prior.

It didn't suddenly change, Q has had plenty of time to adjust. And he hasn't. That's my point.

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL
Caps made an underrated trade, bully for them. Other teams are allowed to make savvy moves, not just the Hawks.

Are a segment of Hawks fans only happy when they are miserable? This constant looking for anything to complain back is really annoying.

It's not the trade itself, it's how Q utilized the players prior to being traded. Also after 3 years of mediocrity, I'd like to think most hawks fans on here would be critical of the team. And this is coming from someone who was overly and irrationally optimistic throughout the entire season.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore

#FreeKempny was a running joke for many long before he was traded. It was obvious how his game helped the team out & showed further potential on the ice. Sure, there's lots of consternation on the board but, with a couple exceptions, most of the folks here thought the handling of Kempny was totally erroneous.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad