GDT: Washington Mumbo Sauce vs Carolina weird mustard BBQ sauce - 7:08PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I mean, the AHL route has worked for a thousand players before McMichael, I don't see why he's above it.
he wasn't, to the tune of 27 points in 33 games before (If I'm not mistaken) he should have even been allowed to be there, suggesting that maybe going back isn't worth the time unless it's the alternative to zero time

Reactions: Hivemind

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I mean, the AHL route has worked for a thousand players before McMichael, I don't see why he's above it.
I don't think he is above it at all. At the same time, I don't think it would be of great benefit. I suppose it's better to be playing some kind of hockey than not playing at all.

Laviolette knows that McMichael is an effective AHL player. I don't think that he needs further prove of it. He is making his decisions with that information in mind. If he is not willing to carve out a consistent role for this player under the current circumstances and allow him an opportunity for growth, than an AHL stint is not going to change his mind.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
giving 6 PP's to CAR in Raleigh and coming away with a point = surprised... too bad we gave them 4 of those after halfway through the game, last 2 min of 2nd and 3rd and in OT is just asking for it, good job PK surviving

Boys fought hard against a strong team, got a little lucky w/CAR not finishing some chances, another fantastic game from Kuemper, take the point and focus on VGK tmrw

Reactions: Fred22406Capsfan

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
he wasn't, to the tune of 27 points in 33 games before (If I'm not mistaken) he should have even been allowed to be there, suggesting that maybe going back isn't worth the time unless it's the alternative to zero time
zero time is looking like the reality.

I don't see Lavy having a sudden change of heart, the only chance McMichael has is if one of our centers get hurt.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
all players aren't equal and flow can be important. Giving them a "response shift" is an occasional tool in a coach's repertoire but you don't often see CMM being given frequent or repetitive opportunities within the same game to adjust.

His game, again, seems to be one built around finding gaps and using his mind to generate quick opportunities. You can't build that rhythm over a <10min span every few games. They aren't doing enough to utilize the skillset of the player they actually have, and want to break him into something he may never be and hasn't been at any level.

and this. It doesn't matter if he performs and scores or not, he get stapled for a different "prudent" reason then too.

Maybe it's on him to find a way to either build that rythm or change his game up a bit?

Can't believe we won this game. Good defensive effort but Kuemper really got us a point here. Very nice to have good goaltending. The list of injuries is incredible. Oshie, Carlson, Wilson, Brown, Bäckström. That's pretty much the entire core minus Ovi and Kuzy right there. And it's half of a pretty decent top 6. Yet we still got a point, and an Ovi goal.

Am i crazy for attributing at least some of that on the seemingly non-existent "system" put in place by Lavi?

Reactions: Neil Racki

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Maybe it's on him to find a way to either build that rythm or change his game up a bit?

Can't believe we won this game. Good defensive effort but Kuemper really got us a point here. Very nice to have good goaltending. The list of injuries is incredible. Oshie, Carlson, Wilson, Brown, Bäckström. That's pretty much the entire core minus Ovi and Kuzy right there. And it's half of a pretty decent top 6. Yet we still got a point, and an Ovi goal.

Am i crazy for attributing at least some of that on the seemingly non-existent "system" put in place by Lavi?
that's dumb. Don't break prospects of the things you drafted them on.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
@g00n Call it whining all you want but try to justify that

Ok. But for the record it is possible to have a legitimate complaint and still whine constantly about it. Especially as a fan of a team who has no say in roster decisions or TOI.

But...

Here's the TOI for the game:

1667299354415.png

What stands out? It might be the fact that nearly every player other than CMM had some special teams time in a game that featured 10 combined power plays.

When nearly 1/3 of the game is eaten up with either PP or PK assignments that shuffles the deck considerably.

Did CMM look good while he was out there? I didn't see much from him. I saw a few drive-by efforts at backchecking such as on one of the goals, a blown set up on an odd-man rush, and another turnover that went the other way. Meanwhile I saw Beck and Protas going full-bore and looking like legit NHLers who could hang with a swarming, potentially overwhelming CAR team that would've blown that game wide open if not for DK standing on his head.

CMM just didn't play well and it looks like the decision was made in-game to give more "spare" playing time created by the wonky PP/PK shuffling to the guys who'd been seizing their chances and playing better.

Against a tough division rival that's smart coaching. Getting a point out of that game was a minor miracle, imo.

Now, if the PP/PK situation is different tonight and CMM doesn't get decent TOI despite playing well, then we can start looking under the seat cushions for the source of the smell.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Ok. But for the record it is possible to have a legitimate complaint and still whine constantly about it. Especially as a fan of a team who has no say in roster decisions or TOI.

But...

Here's the TOI for the game:

View attachment 601578

What stands out? It might be the fact that nearly every player other than CMM had some special teams time in a game that featured 10 combined power plays.

When nearly 1/3 of the game is eaten up with either PP or PK assignments that shuffles the deck considerably.

Did CMM look good while he was out there? I didn't see much from him. I saw a few drive-by efforts at backchecking such as on one of the goals, a blown set up on an odd-man rush, and another turnover that went the other way. Meanwhile I saw Beck and Protas going full-bore and looking like legit NHLers who could hang with a swarming, potentially overwhelming CAR team that would've blown that game wide open if not for DK standing on his head.

CMM just didn't play well and it looks like the decision was made in-game to give more "spare" playing time created by the wonky PP/PK shuffling to the guys who'd been seizing their chances and playing better.

Against a tough division rival that's smart coaching. Getting a point out of that game was a minor miracle, imo.

Now, if the PP/PK situation is different tonight and CMM doesn't get decent TOI despite playing well, then we can start looking under the seat cushions for the source of the smell.
what stands out is 6:53 of ice time in a 60 minute game. Malenstyn's 4 seconds of PP time isn't impacting that a whole lot comparatively.

Beck and Protas have already been given more leash than McMichael has in nearly two years. When every single opportunity is apparently make or bench, and sometimes make and bench last year, the f*** are you actually supposed to do to earn more time except have the coach suddenly like you more?

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
I wonder if Puljujarvi might become an option with Oshie out long term and Brown in the Phantom Zone.

He doesn’t appear to be in the good graces of Edmonton but I think he’d fit well in DC. Could be cheap too. They need playdrivers and absent a two-way center someone of Puljujarvi’s ilk might be best.
Puljujarvi can drive play decently but his finishing leaves a lot to be desired, it’s a decent contract I guess but coming off a bad playoffs with 3 points in 16 games and a slow start with 1 goal in 9 games this year seems like a dude that would just be around. We don’t need more players with hopeful upside

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
what stands out is 6:53 of ice time in a 60 minute game. Malenstyn's 4 seconds of PP time isn't impacting that a whole lot comparatively.

Beck and Protas have already been given more leash than McMichael has in nearly two years. When every single opportunity is apparently make or bench, and sometimes make and bench last year, the f*** are you actually supposed to do to earn more time except have the coach suddenly like you more?

You asked the question, I answered, and you ignored the answer.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
You asked the question, I answered, and you ignored the answer.
I didn't ignore it at all. Your entire premise is that other players seized more from their opportunity. I contend that they're allowed a lot more leeway to make mistakes than CMM is in the time he's given, and his "failures" become magnified as a result because the leash tightens as soon as anything less than desirable surfaces.

an IQ player needs to learn what he can and can't get away with and they aren't providing room for that to grow

If you're blaming that goal on McMichael instead of Kuznetsov (the center who should not be up by the blueline in the defensive end), Orlov (who is about as high as Kuznetsov), or Irwin (who is admittedly covering like 2-3 guys in front of the net) you're out to prove something that isn't really there.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I didn't ignore it at all. Your entire premise is that other players seized more from their opportunity. I contend that they're allowed a lot more leeway to make mistakes than CMM is in the time he's given, and his "failures" become magnified as a result because the leash tightens as soon as anything less than desirable surfaces.

an IQ player needs to learn what he can and can't get away with and they aren't providing room for that to grow

If you're blaming that goal on McMichael instead of Kuznetsov (the center who should not be up by the blueline in the defensive end), Orlov (who is about as high as Kuznetsov), or Irwin (who is admittedly covering like 2-3 guys in front of the net) you're out to prove something that isn't really there.

You did ignore it because you reverted back to the bottom line ice time when I provided context for the differences. Which is what you asked for.

Here's what should happen: CMM should not suck when he's on the ice, however long it is.

That will solve a lot of these problems.

If he can outplay the guys in front of him he'll play. People complain about Eller or previously Hagelin and say Lavi is biased against CMM but nobody has proven that. I wanted Eller traded and would liked to have seen CMM step up and take the 3C spot but that hasn't happened yet. Eller may boof a play or two per game but he's also doing veteran things on the ice CMM hasn't gotten to yet, in terms of dirty work and positioning. For a 3C that's what you're going to need on all but the most top-heavy teams.

In general it's kind of armchair myopia to think that Lavi and the other coaches have no idea what's going on, and that CMM is a babe in the woods regarding hockey and all he needs is to play more to finally understand what this hockey thing is. He's an adult in the NHL and it's business full of professional mercenaries.

Nothing is going to be handed to him so he's got to take it.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think the AHL still has value for a player like McMichael, chiefly in the areas of stamina and streamlining his game further. It's an easier competition level but there is a confidence to be earned standing out and further growing elements/details in his game. Particularly if he plays center in all situations there's an opportunity for further maturity, stability and building his game more fundamentally. It won't inherently improve him if he doesn't play with the right mentality and work ethic, in part aided by a comprehensive understanding of what he needs to improve at to fully gain this staff's trust.

Physically maybe he still doesn't have it, at least not to the point of it being easy. But if so then there is another league for him to play games in close by. Sitting around is only good if he's abundantly on the cusp and at this point there looks to be regression. If not regression in his game then either how he's viewed or certainly how he fits within their mentality when down such a key cog like Carlson. There is so little tolerance for this sort of developing player that having him in limbo is indeed the worst approach to take.

Last edited:
Reactions: SecretaryofDefense5

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
You did ignore it because you reverted back to the bottom line ice time when I provided context for the differences. Which is what you asked for.

Here's what should happen: CMM should not suck when he's on the ice, however long it is.

That will solve a lot of these problems.

If he can outplay the guys in front of him he'll play. People complain about Eller or previously Hagelin and say Lavi is biased against CMM but nobody has proven that. I wanted Eller traded and would liked to have seen CMM step up and take the 3C spot but that hasn't happened yet. Eller may boof a play or two per game but he's also doing veteran things on the ice CMM hasn't gotten to yet, in terms of dirty work and positioning. For a 3C that's what you're going to need on all but the most top-heavy teams.

In general it's kind of armchair myopia to think that Lavi and the other coaches have no idea what's going on, and that CMM is a babe in the woods regarding hockey and all he needs is to play more to finally understand what this hockey thing is. He's an adult in the NHL and it's business full of professional mercenaries.

Nothing is going to be handed to him so he's got to take it.
Where is the real, actual opportunity?

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Maybe McMic is a spoiled brat with an attitude
and thinks his 1st rounder status entitles him to a sweater
and he doesn't think he needs to work as hard as everyone else

Maybe he screwed around most of the summer instead of putting in the work

Maybe he carries around copies of last seasons' xfancy xstats x% and waves them in Lavi's face

Whatever the case is, he didn't create separation from his competition in training camp/preseason to make the coaches say "He's ready" like Protas did

Reactions: g00n

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
CMM’s problem is that the puck becomes allergic to the net when it’s on his blade. For all the skills he possesses, he just zips his shots high and wide.

The AHL would definitely help him develop a better scoring touch. With a bit more time and space, he would get the chance to work in his finishing skills.

Reactions: um

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
Maybe McMic is a spoiled brat with an attitude
and thinks his 1st rounder status entitles him to a sweater
and he doesn't think he needs to work as hard as everyone else

Maybe he screwed around most of the summer instead of putting in the work

Maybe he carries around copies of last seasons' xfancy xstats x% and waves them in Lavi's face

Whatever the case is, he didn't create separation from his competition in training camp/preseason to make the coaches say "He's ready" like Protas did
So he SHOULD go to Hershey. Holy hell this isn’t hard.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
McMichael is a spoiled brat? He doesn’t take his conditioning seriously? He’s got a bad attitude? This place sure is fun.

Maybe he’s just a young kid trying to find his way. Just because the 6’6” behemoth Protas adjusted to playing with men quicker doesn’t mean McMike has failed. Maybe Feverbaby also needs also needs some time to improve his game. I would hope that our track record of letting guys like Siegenthaler and Stephenson go because we’re a vet team and don’t have the time or inclination for proper development would be reason enough for people to be patient with the kids but I guess not.

Who was the last forward this team properly developed? Tom Wilson? Maybe Vrana or Burakovsky? So at best, guys who were drafted in 2014? Even with Wilson we did the best we could to f*** up his growth. At some point this organization shifted from being able to draft and develop to filling holes with vets via trade and free agency.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
So he SHOULD go to Hershey. Holy hell this isn’t hard.
lol, who knows? we (fans) don't. Are we entitled to know the coach's every thought? nope. I'm fine with not knowing, others aren't.

McMic and the coaches are the ones who know where he stands, what's being said to him, what's being asked of him, what his practice/training ethic is, etc...

Until something gets said publicly it's all Rumorville

McMic was the 1st one to get a sweater after Oshie's injury, next several games we'll see if it's him or Snively that pull ahead

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
McMichael is a spoiled brat? He doesn’t take his conditioning seriously? He’s got a bad attitude? This place sure is fun.

///
"MAYBE" - seems you skipped right over that part.
Maybe he's doing all the right things? we don't know.

I simply proffered that MAYBE there's other circumstances other than his less-than-overwhelming Preseason performance (and others excelling) that he hasn't gotten more gms yet

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
"MAYBE" - seems you skipped right over that part.
Maybe he's doing all the right things? we don't know.

I simply proffered that MAYBE there's other circumstances other than his less-than-overwhelming Preseason performance (and others excelling) that he hasn't gotten more gms yet
I didn’t gloss over it; you’re not the first to infer there’s got to be something wrong with McMike and his attitude and preparation. This seems to me like an example of Occam’s Razor… we’re getting all of these unsubstantiated and potentially complex reasons for why CMM isn’t playing when it probably just boils down to the simplest explanation which is that he’s young and adjusting to life in the NHL.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I didn’t gloss over it; you’re not the first to infer there’s got to be something wrong with McMike and his attitude and preparation. This seems to me like an example of Occam’s Razor… we’re getting all of these unsubstantiated and potentially complex reasons for why CMM isn’t playing when it probably just boils down to the simplest explanation which is that he’s young and adjusting to life in the NHL.

The simplest explanation is he's not playing well enough in practice or during the chances he's been given in preseason and regular season.

Maybe some intrepid local reporter should ask him "would you rather ride the pine in the NHL or play regularly in the AHL?"

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
That‘s not how I see his response, he threw out some possible concerns, no crazier than the often used “Lavi hates kids/CMM”…..you‘re seeing what you want to see on this one.

I also believe the real reason is much more benign. I’ve said it MANY times…..the kid just isn’t ready in their eyes! So, not a big deal….let’s let him percolate. Here, Hershey, I don’t care, just let it happen in its own time…..

Reactions: g00n

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The simplest explanation is he's not playing well enough in practice or during the chances he's been given in preseason and regular season.

Maybe some intrepid local reporter should ask him "would you rather ride the pine in the NHL or play regularly in the AHL?"
I think you’re asking the wrong question. The question should be directed to Lavi and should be, “You keep saying McMike needs to keep doing what he’s doing in practice and seize his opportunities in the game — what exactly does that mean? What do you have to see in order for him to get more minutes?” There is no correlation between how McMichael plays and the ice time he gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad