Post-Game Talk: Washington HC @ Long Island Islanders, 7:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I hate seeing you repeat this morbid prediction over and over...

Let me rephrase then. I think either his game holds up to the end or the other. Is that better?
I also dont think that statement is being read as I writing it. He has had enough injuries already that one may directly result in him slowing down. Not that he would get injured again.

I dont visualize Oshie becoming some albatross and I dont see him on another team.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
What? Where did you see that? Zero chance that is happening.

The NHL’s 56-game regular season was originally scheduled to end May 8 and previously had been extended to May 11 and then May 16 as games were called off and rescheduled because of virus outbreaks. The NHL still intends for each team to play a full schedule.

Right now, the Caps final game is May 11. If there is any down time between May 16 and the start of the playoffs, a layoff of more than a week seems likely. The NHL as far as I can tell has not announced when the playoffs start

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Let me rephrase then. I think either his game holds up to the end or the other. Is that better?
I also dont think that statement is being read as I writing it. He has had enough injuries already that one may directly result in him slowing down. Not that he would get injured again.

I dont visualize Oshie becoming some albatross and I dont see him on another team.

I just hate the constant predictions that he won’t last and/or he will age poorly, which leads into the inevitable “the contract should be purged when we can”......ideology.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

Yeah, I don't think it's some grim thing either, I see it your way. They'll LTIRetire him when he's ready and probably cite concussions as the main issue, but he's also earned some of that "we want to take care of you" ring of honor status with Ovechkin and Backstrom so unless the guy actively wants to go start hockey in Seattle I don't think they make the move just to get out of his contract.

I've been on both sides of this line but watching him age this well and then projecting the next few years, they can afford to let him ride it out here.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Yeah, I don't think it's some grim thing either, I see it your way. They'll LTIRetire him when he's ready and probably cite concussions as the main issue, but he's also earned some of that "we want to take care of you" ring of honor status with Ovechkin and Backstrom so unless the guy actively wants to go start hockey in Seattle I don't think they make the move just to get out of his contract.

I've been on both sides of this line but watching him age this well and then projecting the next few years, they can afford to let him ride it out here.
And there's another factor in play. Mentorship. Oshie is phenomenal role model for our young guys. Maybe he moves down to the third line or whatever, but how many guys can model that kind of on-ice work ethic for the young'ns?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
And there's another factor in play. Mentorship. Oshie is phenomenal role model for our young guys. Maybe he moves down to the third line or whatever, but how many guys can model that kind of on-ice work ethic for the young'ns?
and the good part about your veterans being swiss army knife guys is that they seem to be better development springboards for young guys. He's the perfect all-purpose guy to put with a young center and become different things depending on what they want to do, and you can kind of visualize how those changes would look between, say, McMichael and Lapierre. That's a good thing to have around.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I just hate the constant predictions that he won’t last and/or he will age poorly, which leads into the inevitable “the contract should be purged when we can”......ideology.

Well, the purge the contract thing has been going for a while including the idea of pushing him off on Seattle. My view is that he has already aged well. He is on a 30ish goal pace for an 82 game season at 34. The power play is clicking and he leads the team in PPGs. And then, you know.....He's Oshbabe

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

The air went out of the team when he was injured v Carolina. We all could see it. Take him off the team and he's really hard to replace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad