Value of: Washington Goalies

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
You continue to try to post for me:sarcasm:
None of my post say the nyi will get their #1 goalie for a 3rd. Imo the isles will use a combo of a 2nd + promising blueline prospects to address the need for a # 1, while Gibson and Soderstrom battle for the backup spot.

Isles hold 9th overall and 12th overall. Neither will be used on Holtby or Grubrauer(sp).
You know who you might be able to get for a 2nd + promising D Prospect? Halak or someone in that tier. Is there precedent for any decent goalie being traded for such a package?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
You know who you might be able to get for a 2nd + promising D Prospect? Halak or someone in that tier. Is there precedent for any decent goalie being traded for such a package?
Dell was high on my wish list . SJ extended him but reportedly is open to trading him.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Dell was high on my wish list . SJ extended him but reportedly is open to trading him.
For a 2nd and "promising" D Prospect. I guess we'll see about that. I'm curious which Isles D Prospect do you find interesting enough to trade an established NHL goalie (more than 20 GP with favorable stats) for. I'm sorry I don't see that trade out there. If you want a goalie who isn't going to Halak- and Greiss-you be prepared to pay. Scott Darling as a Pending FA, that Chicago was going to lose, returned a 3RD. I'd say most of your options that are better than your current mess are going to cost more than you think.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
For a 2nd and "promising" D Prospect. I guess we'll see about that. I'm curious which Isles D Prospect do you find interesting enough to trade an established NHL goalie (more than 20 GP with favorable stats) for. I'm sorry I don't see that trade out there. If you want a goalie who isn't going to Halak- and Greiss-you be prepared to pay. Scott Darling as a Pending FA, that Chicago was going to lose, returned a 3RD. I'd say most of your options that are better than your current mess are going to cost more than you think.
Isles have a potential franchise goalie in Sorokin , who has 2 more seasons on his contract. I would love to see Sorokin , Malkin or Ledecky buyout those remaining 2 seasons, but I am prepared to wait on Sorokin. Sounds like the nyi organization is also prepared to wait on him .

Very hard to believe that between several 2018 ufas and goalies whose teams are rumored to want a change in goal, that the isles cannot find a solid #1 among Raanta, Dell, Lehner, Khadobin, Bernier and Hutchinson.

Not interested in giving up either 9th overall or 12th overall for either Holtby or Grubrauer. Those picks could land a couple of bluechippers on D.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Lehner + 1st or something along the lines.
Why would they want Lehner. His QO is 4.15...And our 1st is top 5 so thats a complete non-starter. Also Holtby only has 2 years of term left on a pretty hefty contract too. Doubt he returns a 1st if he's traded in the offseason, not many teams would pay a 1st for 2 years of goalie contract.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Why would they want Lehner. His QO is 4.15...And our 1st is top 5 so thats a complete non-starter. Also Holtby only has 2 years of term left on a pretty hefty contract too. Doubt he returns a 1st if he's traded in the offseason, not many teams would pay a 1st for 2 years of goalie contract.
If this is your stance I don't think you're going to like the price on either Holtby or Grubauer. The Sabres 1st is obviously an overpay but I'm not sure what else you'd offer that the Caps would want. Do you think you can get Holtby for less than it cost you to get Lehner? I can assure you the Caps will not trade him nor Grubauer for less.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015

With Holtby playing in a mediocre fashion, it is secure to play with Lehner in tandem.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
With Holtby playing in a mediocre fashion, it is secure to play with Lehner in tandem.
You sure you know who Robin Lehner is?

Besides he is not under contract and the Caps would not want him in any capacity. He's negative value to the Sabres 1st. I'd be more confident in Copley.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Reopened after renovations. Please note that using the report feature will alert moderators to an issue rather than either complaining about it in the thread.

Now, carry on.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
So what is Holtbybworth if you are making him availablr. Buffalo asking.

Way more than what Cory Schneider ever returned.

Holtby is 28 and has Vezina -trophy and another nomination in his resume. He's not available.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
If this is your stance I don't think you're going to like the price on either Holtby or Grubauer. The Sabres 1st is obviously an overpay but I'm not sure what else you'd offer that the Caps would want. Do you think you can get Holtby for less than it cost you to get Lehner? I can assure you the Caps will not trade him nor Grubauer for less.
Contract status vs Lehner is completely different. As I said Holtby only has 2 years of term and his AAV is not exactly low. Not sure you'd find many teams willing to give up a 1st for that. I'd offer 2019 1st for Grubauer personally but that's a different topic from Holtby discussion. 2018 1st is a non-starter for either as it's a guaranteed top5.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Which comments.

Come on Tex, you rarely find fault in anything that the Caps do. You were the lone Connolly supporter a few days ago, and routinely stick up for Orpik, still. Very few of those people left.

You’d rather things stay status quo than make changes. Which is fine, but you are definitely a lot further on that spectrum than most (I’m closer to your thought process, but not as far over)

its all a matter of what you expect. I have at the same time suggested that Burakovsky and Vrana needed scratched in long cold streaks. I suggested pretty early on that Holtby wasn't right and caught heat for both. It goes both ways

staalgood

Jan 13, 2014
Raleigh, NC
What about Grubauer and your 2018 1st for Jake Bean and Carolina's 2018 1st?

Washington moves up 14 spots and gets a good defensive prospect. Carolina moves back, but stays in the 1st Round and gets a goalie they can try out before making a long-term commitment.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015

Washington moves up 14 spots and gets a good defensive prospect. Carolina moves back, but stays in the 1st Round and gets a goalie they can try out before making a long-term commitment.

They might have to get rid of Darling first.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

The Caps are up to their ears in nhl projected defense prospects. Another one wouldn't help at all

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

I would propably do this.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
The Caps are up to their ears in nhl projected defense prospects. Another one wouldn't help at all
While I agree with the sentiment Tx and made the same point earlier in this thread, I have to agree with Trick ^ I'd certainly be intrigued by this deal and it's of the format I imagine the Caps will look for in any Grubauer trade (best quality futures at any position). If this was the best deal offered I think the Caps strongly consider it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad