Value of: Washington Goalies

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
With Holtby struggling as of late, and Grubauer taking over the job for now, is it possible we see the caps move a goalie this summer? Grubauer was long rumoured to be the one gone after this season as I'd assume he'd want a bigger role in the NHL, but has Holtby been then one that could be dealt? With the available goalies this summer as UFAs being weak save Hutton (not including potential qualifying offers to Mrazek and Lehner), either one of these 2 goalies would be the best on the market. With teams such as Carolina, and New York Islanders having their situations up in the air, could this be a source of value this summer?

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
If Grubauer plays well down the stretch I'd easily pull the trigger on a Holtby deal, as long as it's a fair market value. Grubauer would save us some much needed cap $$$ and Holtby could help recoup some much needed assets that have been given up during our "all-in" approach the past few offseasons and TDLs

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
Perhaps if Grubauer plays well enough down the stretch, and a better market for goaltenders develops. At this point though, I can't see the Caps being very keen on dealing Holtby to a division rival like the Canes or Isles.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
I've said it before Grubauer and Samsonov are a solid future in net, if the Caps fizzle out of the playoffs again I could see moving Holtby as part of the shake up.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The Caps are closer to overperforming after the roster losses they had this past off season. Losing in the playoffs early would not be underperforming. Holtby is going to have to recover his game before the end of the season for him to have much return at all. If he gets hot and seizes this job back and plays well in the playoffs, its hard to see the Caps wanting to trade him. Its a narrow scenario where the Caps trade him and get something of value in return

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Holtby would be a worthwhile pickup for a lot of teams. Anderson's getting up there in age, maybe Ottawa could kick the tires on Holtby.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Perhaps if Grubauer plays well enough down the stretch, and a better market for goaltenders develops. At this point though, I can't see the Caps being very keen on dealing Holtby to a division rival like the Canes or Isles.

I hope that crap doesn't keep us from getting good value, get the most you can for Holtby/Grubauer, don't worry about who they're going to.

The goalie market is thin enough as it is. It's just stupid to be picky about who you trade with.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
I could see the Blues being interested in Holtby, but I think it would require Washington taking back Allen. He's cheaper, but signed for an extra year, so it sort of defeats the purpose.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Holtby to Edm for something around Talbot? Talbot can then be moved again for something else.
Nonsensical for Washington.

If I was Washington, I'd move holtby without thinking twice. Take the best package/piece of young talent, and run with it.

Carolina, Calgary, Florida, Ottawa, and a bunch of other teams should be interested.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Holtby to Carolina would make sense.

Except they play in the same division. I think they look elsewhere, likely the West, if they move him.

Calgary makes sense but with their lack of picks this draft I don't see how.

Last edited:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Except they play in the same division. I think they look elsewhere, likely the West, if they move him.

Calgary makes sense but without their lack of picks this draft I don't see how.

We already have spent a butt load of draft picks on a goalie and a defenseman. We would have to be trading prospects or something. We have some good ones, but ones that I doubt our GM is going to move. I guess we just have to be patient. The Caps can definitely sell Holtby rather shortly, in fact, I would imagine he is gone after this playoff run.

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
With Holtby struggling as of late, and Grubauer taking over the job for now, is it possible we see the caps move a goalie this summer? Grubauer was long rumoured to be the one gone after this season as I'd assume he'd want a bigger role in the NHL, but has Holtby been then one that could be dealt? With the available goalies this summer as UFAs being weak save Hutton (not including potential qualifying offers to Mrazek and Lehner), either one of these 2 goalies would be the best on the market. With teams such as Carolina, and New York Islanders having their situations up in the air, could this be a source of value this summer?
To isles
For
2019 1st and ho sang?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad