Value of: Washington Goalies

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Moving Holtby to lean on Grubauer seems like a pretty bad idea to me. I admittedly don't follow the caps super closely, but Holtby is a very proven goalie having a down year and Grubauer is a very unproven goalie having a good year with pretty light starts.

I think it's very likely Holtby rebounds next year and outperforms Grubauer. Not sure the Caps are really in a place to give up a really solid proven goalie for a question mark given the ages of the best players. Gonna have to strike soon if it's going to happen.

If the Capitals can bolster their defense and still retain a starter, that would be very beneficial. Of course, Holtby would be the sacrifice.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Phillip Grubauer has similar numbers as Cory Schneider had when he was traded for a top-10 pick. Better numbers than Cam Talbot had before his trade. Better numbers than Robin Lehner had before his trade. Better numbers than Semyon Varlamov had before his trade.

Which makes that trade not insane at all. :nod:

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
The 26 yr old Schneider was considered to be a potential franchise goalie, dealt only because Vancouver could not find a taker foe Luongo's long-term contract.
Grubauer imo does not have anywhere close to Schneider's trade value thru the league.
Maybe he doesn't, but there are plenty of comparable examples that fetched a 1st rounder. I'd assume Washington's ask starts with a 1st rounder

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
And if you lose Carlson because of it? What then? I'm just saying that logically it makes financial sense to move on to the cheaper, currently better goalie and reallocate the assets towards keeping your best defender.

I do know this, if you do lose Carlson, you're gonna wish you had at least considered the possibility. I know you're gonna say that there is no way he doesn't resign, but you don't KNOW that, just like Isles fans don't know Tavares will Stay or kings fans know about Doughty... In situations like this all options must be considered. It's just prudent.

Once you do, you make a choice and live with it. I understand that, but it doesn't mean it hasn't been considered. Or shouldn't be. It's called due diligence and any GM who refuses to do so deserves to be fired

A couple of things:
-GM's don't base value on "a bad stretch", or even "a bad year". Sure, we as fans do....but team management doesn't. So while we see some struggles w Hotlby, the idea that is value is somehow "a 3rd rounder" is absurd. You can keep repeating it, doesnt make it true
-There are lots of ways to keep Carlson. Orpik for one will be a target. To say "Caps cant trade him" is folly. Many contracts that are worse, and longer, have been dealt. I obviously don't think that the Caps will get something valuable back for him, but they aren't going to have to send out a 1st to get rid of him. Re-signing Kempny at 1.5-2m, and losing Orpik's 5.5m deal creates the 3-4m we may need to resign Carlson.
-I have also been on this board a long time (was a member well before the reset in 2002), so I know the Caps posters well. Basing the teams directives on any of us, is also folly. I respect Tex's stances (TXPD), but he's more a Caps apologist in a lot of ways (as am I, so I can say that to him) than a realist. So using any one posters commentary certainly doesnt show a depth of knowledge around the team. I wouldnt expect and Islanders poster to think that I know a lot about their inner-workings, simply because I read "72Hockey Guys" posts a little bit.

In the end, I dont think the Caps will deal Holtby, (and I also think they will resign Carlson), but if they do, it will be a lot more than a 3rd round pick coming back.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
What's up with Fleury? Seems like he's struggled a bit during his rookie year -- which is totally expected for a young defenseman -- but is he still projected to be a top 4LD capable of running a PP?

I think he has been pretty good, actually. Where he is not been as good as hoped when he was drafted is in the points area. His defense is actually good for a first year rookie, but not mistake free. I feel he still has 2nd pairing upside as a defensive first type of defenseman. He is big and very mobile and makes a good first pass to get out of the zone. But it's not looking like he will score a lot.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I respect Tex's stances (TXPD), but he's more a Caps apologist in a lot of ways (as am I, so I can say that to him) than a realist.

Apoligist? I see. After seeing MacLellan's comments on Carlson, I am thinking that Carslon is gone. The Caps will use the Caps space to sign Mike Green and find a quality defensive top 4 left defense. For the sake of argument.
Orlov Niskanen
Hjalmarsson-Green
Djoos-Klempny

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Apoligist? I see. After seeing MacLellan's comments on Carlson, I am thinking that Carslon is gone. The Caps will use the Caps space to sign Mike Green and find a quality defensive top 4 left defense. For the sake of argument.
Orlov Niskanen
Hjalmarsson-Green
Djoos-Klempny
I know better than to doubt your read on things, so it sounds like a Mike Green and Maybe a Calvin DeHaan, to me thats okay but its sad for caps fans to lose Carlson

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Orlov Niskanen
Hjalmarsson-Green
Djoos-Klempny

Which comments.

Come on Tex, you rarely find fault in anything that the Caps do. You were the lone Connolly supporter a few days ago, and routinely stick up for Orpik, still. Very few of those people left.

You’d rather things stay status quo than make changes. Which is fine, but you are definitely a lot further on that spectrum than most (I’m closer to your thought process, but not as far over)

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Find the post where I suggest the nyi make Gibson the #1. There isn't one.
He has played well enough since his callup, for me to want him to return as next season's backup. 5 games with a
.936 save% and 2.58 gaa
The same goalie who you call hot garbage against the Caps, looked damn good last night against Pittsburgh.

The point was you're going to need a starter (Gibson or someone else). What G do you think you could acquire for a 3rd that will provide what Holtby or Grubauer are capable of, you may as well roll with Gibson.

Meanwhile are you still sold on Gibson? I guess allowing 6G every other game is the Islander way. There's the problem with small sample sizes, what's his GAA now? (3.48) For what it's worth there has been mention on your boards of trading for either Holtby or Grubauer. I can assure you, in division, at this point both will cost substantially more than a 3rd. But I guess you can put Khudobin back there, that'll signal to Tavares you're ready to stop tanking.

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
hypothetically, lets say GMBM decides to trade away Holtby to the Canes and ride Grubi as starter next season

what does Grubi's next contract look like ? $4m x ? RFA

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
hypothetically, lets say GMBM decides to trade away Holtby to the Canes and ride Grubi as starter next season

what does Grubi's next contract look like ? $4m x ? RFA
2-4 years at around 3.5-4.25 million a year would be my guess.

Some comparables:
Scott Darling - 4.1 million
Robin Lehner and Petr Mrazek - 4 million
Matt Murray - 3.75 million
Jacob Markstrom - 3.6 million
James Reimer - 3.4 million
Thomas Greiss - 3.33 millon
Martin Jones - 3 million

Reactions: Pigskin

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
And what of the projections that the Cap will rise between 2-4M? Between this and your appeal to the authority of Caps "bloggers," I think it's time I bid you adieu, clearly you've already wasted my time and from your concluding remark, I can only infer, your own as well.
Your counting the escalator which is not guaranteed. That's totally up to NHLPA and hasn't been the full 5% recently. So that's why dodo.

The players don't like the escrow. neither would you paying back 14% of your salary. But go ahead laugh. It won't be so funny if you lose Carlson because of it. I've read in the local NY papers that the Devils and Rangers both want him and if that happens, you might not be so giddy

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Your counting the escalator which is not guaranteed. That's totally up to NHLPA and hasn't been the full 5% recently. So that's why dodo.

The players don't like the escrow. neither would you paying back 14% of your salary. But go ahead laugh. It won't be so funny if you lose Carlson because of it. I've read in the local NY papers that the Devils and Rangers both want him and if that happens, you might not be so giddy

NHL revenues, salary cap projected to rise

That's the latest news on the cap for next year. Even without the escalator, the cap is projected to rise to $78M at least.

Here is a cap compliant roster for next season, assuming the cap rises by $3M.

Eazy4Kuzy - Armchair-GM - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
The point was you're going to need a starter (Gibson or someone else). What G do you think you could acquire for a 3rd that will provide what Holtby or Grubauer are capable of, you may as well roll with Gibson.

Meanwhile are you still sold on Gibson? I guess allowing 6G every other game is the Islander way. There's the problem with small sample sizes, what's his GAA now? (3.48) For what it's worth there has been mention on your boards of trading for either Holtby or Grubauer. I can assure you, in division, at this point both will cost substantially more than a 3rd. But I guess you can put Khudobin back there, that'll signal to Tavares you're ready to stop tanking.
You continue to try to post for me:sarcasm:
None of my post say the nyi will get their #1 goalie for a 3rd. Imo the isles will use a combo of a 2nd + promising blueline prospects to address the need for a # 1, while Gibson and Soderstrom battle for the backup spot.

Isles hold 9th overall and 12th overall. Neither will be used on Holtby or Grubrauer(sp).

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015

I'll trust some people who know instead of, well......you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad