NFL: Washington Football Team now the Washington Commanders

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Maybe this will be the time #888277.

And I still hope and expect that any new owner will immediately change the team name.….. to something other than back to the Redskins, I mean.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe this will be the time #888277.

And I still hope and expect that any new owner will immediately change the team name.….. to something other than back to the Redskins, I mean.
I would learn much harder into hope than expectation. These guys aren’t gonna give a shit what they’re named.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I would learn much harder into hope than expectation. These guys aren’t gonna give a shit what they’re named.

They do if they think they can make a mint off it. Nothing would immediately signal to the fanbase that you’re repudiating the prior regime quite like renaming the team.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
They do if they think they can make a mint off it. Nothing would immediately signal to the fanbase that you’re repudiating the prior regime quite like renaming the team.
I can't imagine anyone is going to want to change the team's name yet again. 4 different names in just a few years is crazy

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I can't imagine anyone is going to want to change the team's name yet again. 4 different names in just a few years is crazy

Ordinarily, yes. But this is a very odd circumstance where an owner is borderline universally hated and nobody is attached to the new name.

I really think any rebranding by a new owner would be welcomed and understood.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ordinarily, yes. But this is a very odd circumstance where an owner is borderline universally hated and nobody is attached to the new name.

I really think any rebranding by a new owner would be welcomed and understood.
It would take a couple of years. Trademarks and everything. Their final list of 10 names or so wasn't that great. Even ones that were considered earlier, a few names already used in pro sports, such as Warriors, Wolves, Redhawks (already have seahawks in the NFL). The others were military themed in Brigade, Admirals, Defenders, Sentinels, Armada, Generals, and you had others like Presidents and Red Hogs.

No matter what, not everyone is going to be happy with the name. I'm sure that there are Seattle Hockey fans who don't love the Kraken name.

I do think that they should keep their reddish/yellow color scheme. I would not want them changing to red/white/blue or something else.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Plus you want to stagger this stuff. You want fans to rush out to buy Commanders gear now that they're excited Snyder is gone. Make some money off of the immediate excitement. Then go hit those same fans for a new wave of purchases in a couple of years when you announce a rebranding.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Plus you want to stagger this stuff. You want fans to rush out to buy Commanders gear now that they're excited Snyder is gone. Make some money off of the immediate excitement. Then go hit those same fans for a new wave of purchases in a couple of years when you announce a rebranding.
What name is the majority of fans want?

The finalists were not that great in the end.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
It would take a couple of years. Trademarks and everything. Their final list of 10 names or so wasn't that great. Even ones that were considered earlier, a few names already used in pro sports, such as Warriors, Wolves, Redhawks (already have seahawks in the NFL). The others were military themed in Brigade, Admirals, Defenders, Sentinels, Armada, Generals, and you had others like Presidents and Red Hogs.

No matter what, not everyone is going to be happy with the name. I'm sure that there are Seattle Hockey fans who don't love the Kraken name.

I do think that they should keep their reddish/yellow color scheme. I would not want them changing to red/white/blue or something else.

Those were the Snyder organization's top ten though, the new owner wouldn't be beholden to one of them.

What's the best option? Got me. Redtails seemed fine, but of the great rebrands as of late, I'm on record as having pushed for the Washington Pigskins and the Cleveland Napoleons, so my opinion is clearly off-base.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Those were the Snyder organization's top ten though, the new owner wouldn't be beholden to one of them.

What's the best option? Got me. Redtails seemed fine, but of the great rebrands as of late, I'm on record as having pushed for the Washington Pigskins and the Cleveland Napoleons, so my opinion is clearly off-base.
Last Name chcanges in the last while we’re in the pro leagues in America:

Guardians in mlb.
Kraken, Golden Knights in nhl
Wizards, Pelicans, thunder in nba

Knights the most clean and classic name but had to add golden in front.

Hard to get something unique and that also tries to tie into the city

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
What name is the majority of fans want?
The fans want 'Redskins'.. poll after poll reflected this, even on the eve of the name change(s), polls showed overwhelming support for 'Redskins'. There were also polls that showed majority support from American Indians for keeping the name.
I'm a third generation Washington fan (my grandad and dad go back to the Grffith Park days), and I never knew anyone who wanted the name changed. Fans liked the 'Redskins' moniker and viewed it as an homage to Indians (not an insult).. even if it was a misguided homage, but..
My point is, the fans (& even the team owner) didn't get what they wanted, and won't get what they want (a return to 'Redskins'). And I agree with an earlier poster, that 'Commanders' was a deliberately lame and generic moniker, chosen as a middle finger to the name changing process. And I do think it will be changed again.. but it'll be a couple seasons.

Reactions: John Price

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
They stumbled into something good with Washington Football Team then did what they obviously were going to and changed it, happy accident be damned.

Reactions: QueerGirrl
Sep 19, 2008
When it does get sold they won't change the name immediately. Changing names is a costly and lengthy process. No organization changes their name so much in such a short period of time. It's like a HFBoards username.

'BUT WE HAD ONE OF HTE WORST=T OWNERS IN NFL HISTORYZZZZZ"

yes, so wait 5 or 6 years until a name change IF they actually want one. How often does a name get changed in the NFL?

It's not easy folks. You can't just change the name and be done with it.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The fans want 'Redskins'.. poll after poll reflected this, even on the eve of the name change(s), polls showed overwhelming support for 'Redskins'. There were also polls that showed majority support from American Indians for keeping the name.
I'm a third generation Washington fan (my grandad and dad go back to the Grffith Park days), and I never knew anyone who wanted the name changed. Fans liked the 'Redskins' moniker and viewed it as an homage to Indians (not an insult).. even if it was a misguided homage, but..
My point is, the fans (& even the team owner) didn't get what they wanted, and won't get what they want (a return to 'Redskins'). And I agree with an earlier poster, that 'Commanders' was a deliberately lame and generic moniker, chosen as a middle finger to the name changing process. And I do think it will be changed again.. but it'll be a couple seasons.
Yeah, that poll thing is a lie. No poll of Native Americans showed they were fine with the name.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
He's not a bad owner but he isn't good either. He allowed the league to force the Colangelos upon his franchise. An upgrade from Snyder though for sure.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad