OT: Washington Football Team 2020 Season Thread 15: Can 2020 actually be a good year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So sad for everyone upset by all this. So very sad.

tumblr_mn9emuRUZH1qdxd3qo1_500.png

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
I thought the decision to forego the field goal on 4th and 4, was completely bizarre, irrespective of Pederson's propensity to gamble. A field goal ties the game, and forces the WFT to score more points - thereby putting more pressure on Smith, who was already clearly struggling and physically compromised. So more stress would have hiked the likelihood of more error - indeed, Smith tried to gift them the ball a couple of times in the 4th Q, and that was while we still had the lead and the luxury of letting the defense win the game for us. Kicking the FG and tying the game changes that dynamic completely.

Unless Smith's physical condition improves materially, I don't see how he can go out their against the Bucs. It's one thing to just barely beat the demoralized, depleted, half-assed, 2nd string Eagles defense in a game that meant nothing to them and everything to you - but it's another thing to try to repeat that against a solid Tampa D with everything to play for. Tampa D line will be teeing off on Smith, and if he can't move, he can't be effective (or protect himself). Heiny's elusiveness and mobility was key to reviving the attack against the Panthers - and you'll need all of that and more against the Bucs. I don't see how Smith can provide that.

This has the potentially to be the RGIII playoff game redux - in which we ruin another physically compromised QB

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Gibson clearly did not have burst last night. I'm wondering how much better he'll be in a few days.

WFT will need a run game to keep Smith from being pummeled all night and to give the D a break.

Reactions: Beef Invictus
Sep 19, 2008
Statistically Rivera was the first WFT coach to make the playoffs in his first season since George Allen, and the first to win a division in his first season since the 40's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad