OT: Washington Football Team 2020 Season Thread 15: Can 2020 actually be a good year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I also get this... but why play for a tie if you're 4-10-1?
That's not playing for a tie, it's taking the points that are available and giving yourself a chance to win in the 4th quarter or in OT. I would kinda get going for it at the end of the FOURTH quarter if you wanted to have a "win or lose on this play" situation, but it was still the end of the third. No reason to take the high risk option there, considering the reward wasn't a guaranteed win even if they score the TD.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I don’t think they needed that specific scenario to evaluate him. He’s going to be a Taysom Hill situational type IMO.

That would be great lol. But yeah, that's what is making the rounds right now. And I think Collinsworth mentioned it too, about seeing Hurts scenario to make end of the year evaluations with Wentz and him.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It's also not JUST the Sudfeld substitution. Going for it on 4th and 4 when you're down 17-14? I get that Doug Pederson is gonna do Doug Pederson things, but come on. The tank was on.

I don't know, with Doug I'd have assumed he was tanking if he went for the FG there. Going for that TD is his idea of winning.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
I don't know, with Doug I'd have assumed he was tanking if he went for the FG there. Going for that TD is his idea of winning.

true....Doug is a unique one when it comes to that stuff. He should be riverboat Doug....but that doesn’t roll off the tongue as nicely as riverboat Ron.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm also not 100% sure Doug believed putting Sudfeld in was tanking (Though I am probably 80% sure, the optics were pure trash). Hurts wasn't good. Just about all his offense came thanks to running, including his passes. Once Bostic was slapped on him as a spy, he wasn't gonna do much.

That team has a bizarre fascination with Sudfeld. It's weird that he's floated around there for three years despite having no upside. It's actually possible they truly believe he could be better or could show upside, I don't know how else he could still be around. It is easy to assume malice, because it all sure does look like intentional tanking...but this IS a coaching staff that is sure they see something worthwhile in the guy; they've invested 3 years into him and might actually somehow wonder if he's some miracle story and wanted to see. Stupidity could be the reason too.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I'm also not 100% sure Doug believed putting Sudfeld in was tanking (Though I am probably 80% sure, the optics were pure trash). Hurts wasn't good. Just about all his offense came thanks to running, including his passes. Once Bostic was slapped on him as a spy, he wasn't gonna do much.

That team has a bizarre fascination with Sudfeld. It's weird that he's floated around there for three years despite having no upside. It's actually possible they truly believe he could be better or could show upside, I don't know how else he could still be around. It is easy to assume malice, because it all sure does look like intentional tanking...but this IS a coaching staff that is sure they see something worthwhile in the guy; they've invested 3 years into him and might actually somehow wonder if he's some miracle story and wanted to see. Stupidity could be the reason too.

He's no Heineke.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
* mind blown *

I just cannot wrap my brain around that, especially the #2 PD? The eye test fails that one, I always seemed to see the secondary getting burned. I need new glasses.

goes to show what one impact player and a legit coach can do. Even without young they’d be up there. The contrast is so startling even Danny has to notice.

Using our pass rushing talent to rush passers is a big change. Last year they were routinely dropping into coverage with a lot of deficient talent and trying to cover for eternity.

Del Rio has looked at the roster and said "yeah go for the ballthrowerman" and with Young added, teams just don't have the time to gash us deep 100 different ways like they once did.

Reactions: max21 and Hivemind

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

If anyone reads the link I posted earlier it has quotes from Hurts that indicate he knew all along Sudfeld was going to play. It wasn't a situation decision, it was the gameplan from the start. They went into the game anticipating changing QBs.

People are just mad because their team didn't make the playoffs. That's it.

As for the 4th down call, why wouldn't you try to score a TD there? The defense had stumped Philly's offense 4 straight possessions and were just gifted the ball on the 15 yd line. You feel like you have to take advantage. My beef during the game was going for it with the offense which had been crap. It should have been a fake FG. What did they have to lose? It's not their responsibility to win for NYG or ensure at least a tie game.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
That's not playing for a tie, it's taking the points that are available and giving yourself a chance to win in the 4th quarter or in OT. I would kinda get going for it at the end of the FOURTH quarter if you wanted to have a "win or lose on this play" situation, but it was still the end of the third. No reason to take the high risk option there, considering the reward wasn't a guaranteed win even if they score the TD.
Or maybe Pederson wanted to test how Hurts would handle the situation :naughty:

Reactions: Corby78

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
On a different note...that 4th and goal play, imagine for a moment they scored, AND the bear hug non-call happened, AND the skins lost.

how fired up would this place be? I know I wouldn’t be too happy.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
I'm still enjoying the Ginats being all salty that Philly screwed them out of a playoff spot that should have been theirs. Hey, NY -- if you wanted to be in the playoffs, you shoulda' been good enough to go 7-9!

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
"Nobody complained when Pittsburgh did what they did against Cleveland," Rivera said, referring to the Steelers' decision to rest starters, including Ben Roethlisberger, in a game that had playoff implications for others. "It's been a hard road for us and nobody seems to care about that. Nobody cared two weeks ago when we didn't have some of our best players. Nobody cared last week when we didn't have them, so why should we be concerned if a coach decides to do something that's best for his team?"

From espn

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
"Nobody complained when Pittsburgh did what they did against Cleveland," Rivera said, referring to the Steelers' decision to rest starters, including Ben Roethlisberger, in a game that had playoff implications for others. "It's been a hard road for us and nobody seems to care about that. Nobody cared two weeks ago when we didn't have some of our best players. Nobody cared last week when we didn't have them, so why should we be concerned if a coach decides to do something that's best for his team?"

From espn

RR laying it out. Great "us vs the world" billboard material here, too.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If anyone reads the link I posted earlier it has quotes from Hurts that indicate he knew all along Sudfeld was going to play. It wasn't a situation decision, it was the gameplan from the start. They went into the game anticipating changing QBs.

People are just mad because their team didn't make the playoffs. That's it.

As for the 4th down call, why wouldn't you try to score a TD there? The defense had stumped Philly's offense 4 straight possessions and were just gifted the ball on the 15 yd line. You feel like you have to take advantage. My beef during the game was going for it with the offense which had been crap. It should have been a fake FG. What did they have to lose? It's not their responsibility to win for NYG or ensure at least a tie game.

If Doug went into that game determined to play Sudfeld then that's hilarious. The guy has an inexplicable fascination with Nate.

Sep 19, 2008
seeing all the outrage over WFT taking advantage of Eagles resting starters :laugh:

what was WFT supposed to do :laugh:

No need for Ron to apologize.

Sep 19, 2008
Re-listening to last night's game on SiriusXM

I am in the 4th quarter, the radio crew when Sudfeld came in is like

iu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad