OT: Washington Football Team 2020 Season Thread 15: Can 2020 actually be a good year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
How many rushing yards did Hurts have in the 3rd quarter when WFT started spying him?

In 3 quarters, Hurts only completed 7 passes, for a paltry 72 yards.. he did have some nice scoring runs, but like (I assume) you're pointing out, Eagles offense stalled in the 3rd quarter. I don't think putting in Sudfeld really helped, or hurt, Philly. But of course the Monday morning meatheads & muckraking media are rampant with conspiracy theories about Hurts' benching. Ranging from the Eagles deliberately losing (starting late in the game ?), to institutional racism against Hurts. Theories that are stupid at best, & slanderous at worse.. Congrats to Washington tho.

Reactions: g00n

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Washington ended the 2020 campaign with 7 wins.

All 7 were against teams not at 100% or starting a bench QB.

Philly 1 - OL nonexistent for Wentz

Dallas 1 - No Prescott, Dalton out, DiNiucci in

Cincinnati - Burrow out, Finley put in

Dallas 2 - Dalton

SF - no Garoppolo or Kittle and biggest threat Deebo Samuel out after one play

Eagles 2 - most of roster out, Pederson pulled Hurts for Sudfeld

Closest to 100% was Pittsburgh who was playing on short rest and had no Connor but their big stars Big Ben and Juju and Claypool were still playing.

Against full strength teams Washington did not fare too well. That being said I think this game is close Saturday but Tampa will probably win.
Against full strength teams we were competitive and had chances to win. Our close losses make up for the asterisked wins. This was a 7-9 type team, I think the record is appropriate. I also think if Allen was healthy we're probably 8-8.

Reactions: kicksavedave

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
In 3 quarters, Hurts only completed 7 passes, for a paltry 72 yards.. he did have some nice scoring runs, but like (I assume) you're pointing out, Eagles offense stalled in the 3rd quarter. I don't think putting in Sudfeld really helped, or hurt, Philly. But of course the Monday morning meatheads & muckraking media are rampant with conspiracy theories about Hurts' benching. Ranging from the Eagles deliberately losing (starting late in the game ?), to institutional racism against Hurts. Theories that are stupid at best, & slanderous at worse.. Congrats to Washington tho.
Hurts had a passer rating of 27.7 for the game. Their first TD drive was gifted to them by multiple garbage penalties when they should have been off the field twice with a chance to go up 13-0 or 17-0. They did nothing offensively after half time once the D adjusted and started collapsing the middle of the pocket and making Hurts use his arm and not his legs.

I get people are upset and I’m not a fan of what they did but let’s not exaggerate how “good” Hurts was before he got yanked.

Reactions: g00n

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
The only chance we have Saturday is if we get to Brady, I bet the Bucs D is licking their chops at the thought of Alex Smith. It’s cool we won the division and it should help the culture for sure but that was a pretty degrading win. Hurts stats sucked but why on earth would you put in Nate Sudfeld? You know what you have in that dude, Hurts for sure gave them the most chance to win. But overall I’ll be pretty excited next weekend to watch a playoff game, they don’t happen often for Washington football fans

Reactions: tenken00

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Hurts’ scrambles were the only reason the Eagles had put any points on the board in the first place. Was he playing great? Obviously not, but thinking that NATE SUDFELD would give them a better chance? Yikes.
The “conspiracy theorists” are absolutely right to be pointing this out.

Reactions: Midnight Judges

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Let’s not pretend that the Eagles were the only team that didn’t use all of its starters yesterday.

Where is the ranting and raving about the Browns making it, due to Big Ben sitting, and the Steelers resting 6 other starters?

this whole Hurts thing is overplayed.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
The only chance we have Saturday is if we get to Brady, I bet the Bucs D is licking their chops at the thought of Alex Smith. It’s cool we won the division and it should help the culture for sure but that was a pretty degrading win. Hurts stats sucked but why on earth would you put in Nate Sudfeld? You know what you have in that dude, Hurts for sure gave them the most chance to win. But overall I’ll be pretty excited next weekend to watch a playoff game, they don’t happen often for Washington football fans

Don't really care about the Eagles either, screw em. But yeah, if you were the Philly brass wouldn't you want to evaluate Hurts in end of game pressure situations.

And maybe it's fine if you wanna see Sudfeld, but do you need to keep seeing Sudfeld after what (I think I remember) a 1st drive: 3 and out, 2nd drive: INT, and 3rd drive: Fumble Loss Turnover?

I think that's what people are mad about.

Last edited:

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
It is pretty bad. 6-10. Total folly. Part of me wishes the Cowboys had won yesterday — so that Cowboy nation could’ve been the ones howling about the Eagles “moves” last night.

but eh, Giants are almost as good.
Nobody in the NFC East should be boasting about anything. Somebody had to win, we lucked out. Go play a wildcard game and maybe we get lucky.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
Eagles org deserves everything they get for that farce last night.

It’s one thing to rest players when a team has nothing to gain/lose....it’s another thing entirely when there is something to gain, e.g. draft position.

they were down by only 3 points when hurts got yanked....one blown coverage and there’s another TD run by hurts and they’re leading.

let’s not get delusional and act as if the skidz offense was running roughshod out there. Christ one gimpy checkdown from smith could have been a pick6.

it was a tank, nothing more nothing less, and it was on full display to a national audience. Lmao!!

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If anyone believes in these things, here's the win% chart from the game per ESPN

upload_2021-1-4_11-9-11.png

Almost entirely in DC's favor, other than some coin flip spots.

People are romanticizing Hurts' performance due to those 2 early rushing TDs, which as many have said was before the QB Spy started limiting his mobility. His rushing total was only 34 yards.

First 4 PHI possessions: Punt (5 plays), INT (2 plays), TD (2 WFT penalties, 6yd TD run), TD (6yd TD run)
Following possessions under Hurts: Punt (3 and out, 3 incompletions), End of half (2 plays, 1 incomplete pass one Scott run), Punt (3 and out, 2 Scott runs and 1 incomplete pass), Punt, Turnover on Downs (no completions)

Take away the two 6yd TD runs and it was two bad series before with FIVE bad series after. And WFT were ahead when the switch was made.

Hurts was not breaking things open with his legs. He scored twice early in the game from close range, and failed to score in 4 down situation to take the lead despite starting 15yds from the goal line in his last possession.

PHI and NYG fans can play the "woulda coulda shoulda" game all day. We can do that, too. What if Smith isn't playing in the 2nd half and doesn't throw those INTs?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Let’s not pretend that the Eagles were the only team that didn’t use all of its starters yesterday.

Where is the ranting and raving about the Browns making it, due to Big Ben sitting, and the Steelers resting 6 other starters?

this whole Hurts thing is overplayed.
Big difference is that sitting players before the game is common place and is an accepted policy around the NFL while last night it looked like Pederson was trying to tank in-game, which is pretty unprecedented. Again I think Hurts' scrambles for TDs masked what was otherwise a terrible performance so I think it's overblown but it's easy to deduce why people were upset.

Reactions: Hivemind

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It's also not JUST the Sudfeld substitution. Going for it on 4th and 4 when you're down 17-14? I get that Doug Pederson is gonna do Doug Pederson things, but come on. The tank was on.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Yeah obviously rose-tinted glasses since it allowed WFT to win the division but it's hard to get mad at a team tanking when every team does it they are just a little more polite about it.

Also cry me a river that the 6-10 Giants were "screwed" out of a playoff spot.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
You do know that this team was very close in ending up with 3 additional wins, finishing 10-6 with the team they have had! 20-19 L they should have beat the Giants, 23-20 L to the Giants again and the 59 y FG loss against the Lions.

Very much aware of that, and my point was the difference between this 7-9 team and 10-6 team was likely the significant periods of dreadful QB play. The 2 pt conversion, the couple failed 'near comebacks', just really every game Haskins played after week 1. I'm also fully aware they got some luck in the schedule playing other teams at less than full strength, but then again their opening stretch of games and overall out of division schedule was no cakewalk. The played playoff teams in 5 of their 10 non conference games, all 10 or more win teams (Browns, Steelers, Ravens, Rams, Seahawks)

I'm not exactly thrilled they won the division, but I am happy that they are not a laughing stock, that they played meaningful games with full effort in December and January, for the first time in... 8 years?

RR has this team heading in the right direction... thats something to be happy about. Just need a long term QB to make them a real competitor.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Don't really care about the Eagles either, screw em. But yeah, if you were the Philly brass wouldn't you want to evaluate Hurts in end of game pressure situations.

And maybe it's fine if you wanna see Sudfeld, but do you need to keep seeing Sudfeld after what (I think I remember) a 1st drive: 3 and out, 2nd drive: INT, and 3rd drive: Fumble Loss Turnover?

I think that's what people are mad about.

I don’t think they needed that specific scenario to evaluate him. He’s going to be a Taysom Hill situational type IMO.

Reactions: tenken00

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
Eagles had no business being “in” that game the way they were. Skidz basically 100% and the birds were something a lot less. Yet they were “in” the game right up to when hurts got yanked.

had it not been the very last game of the regular season, draft positions based on how it ended, sudfeld inserted at some random time only being down by 3, the skidz offense consisting of checkdowns and hit or miss run plays...it wouldn’t appear as blatant.

hell, if they trotted out Nate start of the third it would probably have lessened the overall stink.

it was funny as hell to watch unfold. I’m still giggling about it.

Reactions: Hivemind

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
It is pretty bad. 6-10. Total folly. Part of me wishes the Cowboys had won yesterday — so that Cowboy nation could’ve been the ones howling about the Eagles “moves” last night.

but eh, Giants are almost as good.

Heh, yeah its hard to decide which team I hate more, but as long as one of them is moaning its a nice Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad